TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

I Admit I am really curious about this one now.

I am betting that a lot of the songs covered will be from Classical Musicals. I think Phillips will take full advantage that Warners owns all the classic MGM Musiclas.

4 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Boo.  Boo this man.  No Oscar Bait? No New Lady Gaga Soundtrack? BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hopefully there are some original numbers so that we get a potential Gaga/Joaquin Original Song performance at the Oscars. You thought everyone went crazy over Gosling? You ain't seen nothin' yet!

2 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

This is either completely exploding or imploding, no in between 

Fun fact: 9 times out of 9, when somebody says "this is doing X or Y with no inbetween", it actually goes inbetween.

Singin' in the Rain is a jukebox musical and it's an all-time classic... I doubt Joker 2 will be anywhere close to its quality, but hey, they're taking a risk likely to alienate a big chunk of the first movie's fanbase. Phillips could have just taken the money done a Hangover 2-level retread.

I'm guessing there'll be at least one original song but maybe Gaga didn't write it. The focus can be on her Best Actress push and she'll get to go Comedy/Musical this time, often a less competitive category than Drama.

I was already very intrigued, but now I'm hyped! 😀

17 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Are we getting the trailer with Godzilla vs Kong?

It's rumoured to be debuting at the WB Cinemacon panel on Apr 9 with online release to follow shortly after. They seem to be following the same rollout as the first one so far.

I think people are overconfident about Joker 2’s chances. It should open well but I think its legs will be poor. Mixing the two genres is going to leave audiences confused if not angry. The trailer and ad campaign better shine some light on how much a musical the film actually is because audiences are going to reach a point where disguising musicals as other types of films is going to piss them off. This film could well be it.

• Sad 1

Just now, LonePirate said:

I think people are overconfident about Joker 2’s chances. It should open well but I think its legs will be poor. Mixing the two genres is going to leave audiences confused if not angry. The trailer and ad campaign better shine some light on how much a musical the film actually is because audiences are going to reach a point where disguising musicals as other types of films is going to piss them off. This film could well be it.

I doubt it matters. If you look at films where people claim the studio "hid" that it's a musical, even still most people who bought tickets knew it was a musical. According to Paramount 75% of people who bought tickets for the Mean Girls remake knew it was a musical.

People also said Wonka "hid" that it's a musical (despite that the original novels had songs in them and both of the prior movies (Wilder and Depp versions) were also, by definition, musicals), but clearly audiences didn't have a problem with it as it had strong legs.

I can't think of any example of a musical which people didn't know was a musical and thus had poor legs. Usually the audience knows what they are getting into. The movie literally stars Lady Gaga, I really don't think this is an issue here.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

People also said Wonka "hid" that it's a musical (despite that the original novels had songs in them and both of the prior movies (Wilder and Depp versions) were also, by definition, musicals), but clearly audiences didn't have a problem with it as it had strong legs.

Yeah, Wonka's legs are impressive as fuck, even better than Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (closest comp) which was a 95/A+ animated film. Even grossed more than Guardians of the Galaxy 3 overseas. 

Edited by HummingLemon496