Eric Duncan

FROZEN II WEEKEND THREAD | 130.26M OW | BLACK FRIDAY WEEK SALE: Gold Accounts 25% OFF | I like warm hugs and I cannot lie | No Knives Out Spoilers :)

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

How many sequels to breakouts in the past decade increased from their predecessors?

Ultron -> Infinity war

IW -> EG

Homecoming -> FFH

Hunger Game -> CF

Lion King -> Lion King

Furious 6 -> Furious 7 

Jurassic Park III -> Jurassic World

Harry Potter 7 -> Harry Potter 8

Incredibles -> Incredibles 2 

Finding Nemo -> Finding Dory

Jumanji -> Jumanji 2

Star Wars: Revenge of sith -> TFA

Despicable Me -> Despicable me 2

etc.

1 minute ago, HeadShot said:

Ultron -> Infinity war

IW -> EG

Homecoming -> FFH

Hunger Game -> CF

Lion King -> Lion King

Furious 6 -> Furious 7 

Jurassic Park III -> Jurassic World

Harry Potter 7 -> Harry Potter 8

Incredibles -> Incredibles 2 

Finding Nemo -> Finding Dory

Jumanji -> Jumanji 2

Star Wars: Revenge of sith -> TFA

Despicable Me -> Despicable me 2

etc.

A number of these movies don't qualify as "breakouts."

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Menor said:

I think IW counts as a breakout due to the huge increase from Ultron, though it's not a breakout in the same sense as the other 2.

True, I added an edit to the wrong post about how the breakout for comparison is Avengers 1 to Ultron. 

IW and Endgame were beasts of their own making not trying to down them at all. Just much harder to accurately use them as a comparison for this particular situation. 

12 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

And may be that's why I am strict with verdicts, because as a kid, I have had such "it is decent, it would be nicer..." thing with my performances.

based on my dad this is why I was hoping for 375+ for Frozen2 -

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, HeadShot said:

They were all movies with huge grosses which were surpassed by their sequels. To limit the comparison to "breakouts" is useless. 

Ummmmmm your definition of huge needs a reassessment especially when you are trying to link some films over a 20 year spread or originals to remakes. 

Your comparisons make your argument incompatible and your insistence on your view being the only accurate point versus actual data makes having a teaching conversation nearly impossible. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

Ummmmmm your definition of huge needs a reassessment especially when you are trying to link some films over a 20 year spread or originals to remakes. 

Your comparisons make your argument incompatible and your insistence on your view being the only accurate point versus actual data makes having a teaching conversation nearly impossible. 

I mentioned several "newer" movies as well.  Just look at how Frozen II is smashing internationally. The increases are massive. There is no "cap". This was also supposed to happen domestically.  Something clearly didn't click. Stop fooling yourself.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, Jedi Jat said:

exactly. 2Bn so far is club of films loved worldwide. TFA did majorily on strength of four-five markets (high ticket priced).

EG, Titanic, IW (to an extent) and Avatar did numbers almost everywhere.

Both IW and TFA made around 1b OS without China. Based on what markets BoxofficeMojo had reported numbers for both, TFA has outgrossed IW in more countries. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

I mentioned several "newer" movies as well.  Just look at how Frozen II is smashing internationally. The increases are massive. There is no "cap". This was also supposed to happen domestically.  Something clearly didn't click. Stop fooling yourself.

Yes, clearly the concept of waiting until after the holiday week to assess F2's domestic performance didn't click. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Menor said:

Yes, clearly the concept of waiting until after the holiday week to assess F2's domestic performance didn't click. 

In his opinion  It will be a disaster since he has clearly made it plain that he expected 600m as the end goal. I think I have found another one to add to my ignore list since Id rather not be known for bad behavior consistently. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Both IW and TFA made around 1b OS without China.

let's do OS-Europe?

9 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Based on what markets BoxofficeMojo had reported numbers for both, TFA has outgrossed IW in more countries. 

More markets are listed on Mojo because those are the markets that get reported on Mojo, majorly European markets. In term of tickets sold, Ultron may be par TFA.

Edited by Jedi Jat
  • Like 2