Eric Duncan

FROZEN II WEEKEND THREAD | 130.26M OW | BLACK FRIDAY WEEK SALE: Gold Accounts 25% OFF | I like warm hugs and I cannot lie | No Knives Out Spoilers :)

1 minute ago, a2k said:

gotg1 to gotg2 growth gives 468.

smh to ffh growth gives 465-466.

even aou to aiw's growth gives frozen2 592-593.

never-mind easily.

Frozen is a bigger brand than GOTG and Spider-Man (spider-man's boxoffice got hurt by so many reboots).

592-593 would have been a great number as well. But clearly it's not reaching that. 

3 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

These movies were insanely massive and which made it hard for them to surpass their predecessor. Did anyone expect The Last Jedi to do over 1 billion domestically?  Marvel ain't probably ever surpassing End Game either.  Frozen on the other hand "only" did 400 million domestically. It could have easily increased with at least 200 million. 

Case in point of why people get disappointed at the box office results. Trying really hard to not get another warning here 🤦‍♂️ 

"Only" 400m.... that comment alone shows a distinct lack of understanding both for how box office operates and for WHY Frozen 1 hit the mark and WHY its automatically more difficult for the sequel to repeat the behavior. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HeadShot said:

These movies were massive and which made it hard for them to surpass their predecessor. Did anyone expect The Last Jedi to do over 1 billion domestically?  Marvel ain't probably ever surpassing End Game either.  Frozen on the other hand "only" did 400 million domestically. It could have easily increased with at least 200 million. 

no thnaksgiving animation apart from frozen has even done 300 dom. sing and grinch with 270+ are the next biggest. disney's next biggest is moana. (TS2 1999 adjusted would be the biggest but in that era cg animation was itself a rarity)

400 for frozen's story-line could be closer to saturation than it's getting credit for.

• Like 1

Frozen is undoubtedly biggest animation brand IMO. I am not disaspointed with opening as there is reason of pre-holiday, that too because it had pre-sales justifying its brand status.

But it ending under 500 is surely a disaspointment, In fact $550mn if you have Indian parent expectations strictness. ( @a2k @Lordmandeep @grim22)

Edited by Jedi Jat
  • Haha 2

Just now, narniadis said:

Case in point of why people get disappointed at the box office results. Trying really hard to not get another warning here 🤦‍♂️ 

"Only" 400m.... that comment alone shows a distinct lack of understanding both for how box office operates and for WHY Frozen 1 hit the mark and WHY its automatically more difficult for the sequel to repeat the behavior. 

400 million is a huge number but the brand has grown so much over the years. I expected Frozen to outdo or at least match Incredibles 2.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

Frozen 2 isn't supposed to grow just on the ground of being a sequel, it should have exploded as in rest of world except Japan where it is at saturation level, due to consolidation of brand, something I have only realised in Shrek & DM (Minions Brand).

You are missing one of the factors in the states.... the movie is missing a massive segment of the population as far as potential audience goes. 600m was never on the table there is no logical reason for it except for those who cant look at American attitudes. Not knocking you, just showing that its the reverse of when we in the US look at how a film works else where and wonder why. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

Frozen is undoubtedly biggest animation brand IMO. I am not disaspointed with opening as there is reason of pre-holiday, that too because it had pre-sales justifying its brand status.

But it ending under 500 is surely a disaspointment.

Frozen is the biggest animation brand overseas while The Incredible is the biggest animation brand domestic. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

400 million is a huge number but the brand has grown so much over the years. I expected Frozen to outdo or at least match Incredibles 2.

You expected it - doesnt make it realistic or the reality. This is part of what learning box office is about. I learned a long time ago its much more enjoyable to not put high expectations out there than deal with disappointment. Frozen was in no way going to match I2 - it couldnt for many reasons. 

4 minutes ago, a2k said:

no thnaksgiving animation apart from frozen has even done 300 dom. sing and grinch with 270+ are the next biggest. disney's next biggest is moana. (TS2 1999 adjusted would be the biggest but in that era cg animation was itself a rarity)

400 for frozen's story-line could be closer to saturation than it's getting credit for.

I don't believe in saturation when it comes to what time in the year a movie is released. We have already seen studios do insane numbers in unusual months like black panther in February. If a brand/movie is big enough people will go see it no matter what. 

1 hour ago, Menor said:

Show Yourself, I thought it was pretty good before the movie but watching that scene was incredible. Imo it's on par with let it go but of course won't have the same success.

The entire Show Yourself scene gave me chills (my audience went wild for it too at the end). I still can't stop thinking about it, and I'm tempted to rewatch just to see it on the big screen again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edmkh said:

Thinking out loud here.

Frozen 2 will be huge but think about what if they make Frozen III how huge it will be if they marketed as the conclusion or the finale of the trilogy.

Frozen 3 is surely inevitable. But if they marketed it as a finale then I bet it will be huge and bigger than F2. 

If that happened , then Frozen will be the first billionaire franchise / trilogy who always sees a rise from each installment ( F2 currently has GREAT chance if not locked to pass the first )  as well as the first 400M+ dom franchise to do so.

The only thing that I can see doing that too are BP , CM and Avatar. But that's still far from certainty as their first installment scores huge for a few factors and I doubt the second can increase from that. BP can increase WW but Dom is a no. Avatar given how huge the first also made me doubt its chance. For me , CM has a best chance but even that's still far from locked.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

We live in a franchise world now. It's a very different climate. Sequels nowadays are expected to increase and grow due to brand recognition. And Frozen is one of the biggest brands of this decade. It should have easily done 600 million domestically. Like Charlie said its scoring 75 instead of 90. 

How many sequels to breakouts in the past decade increased from their predecessors?

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

How many sequels to breakouts in the past decade increased from their predecessors?

Depends on which metric you are using.... breakouts on the 400m+ level? Just 1 - Catching Fire. 

Further edit, the Breakout was Avengers 1 so Ultron decisively didnt increase lol. 

Edited by narniadis