sfran43

Weekend Thread: Thursday Night Preview - The Grudge $1.8M w/ an F Cinemascore LMAO

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

hardly anyone predicted it would make 2 billion, but plenty predicted it would make more than TLJ because of "Finale factor" and in the last two SW trilogies, the third installment made more than the second one. 

And plenty predicted sub 1 bil due to the fracture in the fandom as evidenced by Solo. What’s your point?

3 minutes ago, Europe is my playground said:

I strongly doubt that people at Disney are as pleased as you are with TROS numbers. Maybe you should organise cheering sessions in their HQ

Did I ever say I was pleased? I said for what the movie is it got  pretty much all you should expect of it. 

Your guys criticism of a movie that reached a billion dollars is reaching Geeks and Gamers levels of obsurdity.

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

I’d say far more people predicted between TLJ and TFA than those who predicted sub billion 

And I’d say the opposite. Although I agree with your overall assessment that the ST was a general disappointment for Disney and LFL, I think a few members here are being fully hyperbolic in their belief that the brand is in trouble. 

The news of project luminous has already gotten some STC folks excited for the future. 

6 minutes ago, Europe is my playground said:

Aladdin reached 1 billion too. 1,5B in the new billion.

Glad you feel that way. I think you will have trouble finding many people from the industry who share your opinion though when there are still fewer than fifty movies that have ever passed a billion.

Edited by RockyMountain

Some criticism is warranted. The vitriol has gotten pretty goofy though. RoS is gonna finish somewhere between 1.05B and 1.10B WW. 

I'm sure Disney is disappointed abd hoped for something like 1.25B+ but 1B+ is still a lot of dough. 

As for the recently referenced Aladdin... Yeah. And, for Disney, Aladdin was a huge success story. As were TS4, F2 and TLK on the animated front. Not to mention CM and, obviously, EG on the live action superhero front.

I'd categorize RoS as a mild disappointment at the moment for Disney.

There were quite a few here that saw it falling short of TLJ WW and especially DOM... They just thought it would closer than it will and still fall short... I was one of them.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Ambrose1415 said:

And I’d say the opposite. Although I agree with your overall assessment that the ST was a general disappointment for Disney and LFL, I think a few members here are being fully hyperbolic in their belief that the brand is in trouble. 

The news of project luminous has already gotten some STC folks excited for the future. 

I’m pretty sure you would be wrong.  I’m pretty sure the people that predicted 1.4-1.7 billion probably is far higher than the sub billion predictions 

• Like 3

When a bunch of the trolls on my ignore list post and it makes scrolling so easy.... then they get quoted like crazy, time to make some adjustments..... 

Jumanji is doing so well, makes me happy 😁 was afraid that the higher it opened the harder it would be to pull a 5x (my original 50/250) so it makes me over happy that 60/300 is pretty much a done deal. 

Frozen gunning for 1.5m overall is the bomb! Amazing performance world wide. 

Those thinking Bombshell is doing poorly need to reassess their understanding of the box office. Its doing fine for both the subject matter and the minor wide release it has had. Considering it hasn't touched 2k theaters yet, its doing great and should ultimately make more than Vice did last year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, a2k said:

JUM

42.4 os weekend 374 cume

26.5 dom weekend 236.2 cume

= 66.9 ww weekend 610.2 cume

80 more dom (316.2) + 95 more os (469) = 775 ww

750 is locked, 800 alive but feel it will fall short.

316+469 = 785😉

I think 80 dom is very optimistic but 305 dom+ 374+ 2*42+brasil should give 780, and both domestic and OS have chance to add 10m. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Maybe $2B is the new $1B. TDK was the fourth movie ever to get to $1B. That was 2008. We now have 5 movies at $2B, including a couple that are fairly close to $3B. 

$2B absolutely is. 1.1 - 1.5B, is the standard that most Marvel movies get these days worldwide, so it isn't as mindblowing as it used to be. 2B however is off the charts awesome, and whenever a movie breaks out like that, it makes its run more fun to follow. 

• Like 1

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

$2B absolutely is. 1.1 - 1.5B, is the standard that most Marvel movies get these days worldwide, so it isn't as mindblowing as it used to be. 2B however is off the charts awesome, and whenever a movie breaks out like that, it makes its run more fun to follow. 

Yup.... when you have followed box office for so long that you remember the specialness of 1B its just not the same. I mean its like how we used to be thrilled with films hitting 600-700m WW.... just not the same story when inflation is factored in. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Some criticism is warranted. The vitriol has gotten pretty goofy though. RoS is gonna finish somewhere between 1.05B and 1.10B WW. 

I'm sure Disney is disappointed abd hoped for something like 1.25B+ but 1B+ is still a lot of dough. 

As for the recently referenced Aladdin... Yeah. And, for Disney, Aladdin was a huge success story. As were TS4, F2 and TLK on the animated front. Not to mention CM and, obviously, EG on the live action superhero front.

I'd categorize RoS as a mild disappointment at the moment for Disney.

There were quite a few here that saw it falling short of TLJ WW and especially DOM... They just thought it would closer than it will and still fall short... I was one of them.

The thing is I don’t think a single person predicted TROS would struggle to pass movies like Joker, TS4 and Aladdin worldwide 

also the reason the brand is in trouble is because the big saga movies went on a downward  trend and the last non saga movie flat out bombed. It’s definitely  not on a Marvel or Pixar position and probably can’t continue in the same way it is right now. Disney bought Lucasfilm because they thought it would give them constant hits forever, not just to squeeze up whatever remaining juice was left 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

Yup.... when you have followed box office for so long that you remember the specialness of 1B its just not the same. I mean its like how we used to be thrilled with films hitting 600-700m WW.... just not the same story when inflation is factored in. 

Heck it wasn't too long ago that Iron Man's 100m opening weekend was considering amazing. Time flies fast when you're following the box office 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Heck it wasn't too long ago that Iron Man's 100m opening weekend was considering amazing. Time flies fast when you're following the box office 

Truth, course that was back when true daily grosses meant something and Iron Man FAILED to actually get the 100m OW 😉

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Ambrose1415 said:

And plenty predicted sub 1 bil due to the fracture in the fandom as evidenced by Solo. 

I think the performance by this movie makes it clear those predictions were also off-base, just in the other direction.... When everyone was making those predictions, they were 100% not making them under the assumption this would be the worst reviewed Star Wars movie in 20+ years.... not counting The Clone Wars, of course (which nobody counts, nor should they). 

The fact this movie had to have reviews that bad, and word of mouth that low, in order for the "Fandom fractured!" predictions to get close to correct.... That says that the Fandom Fracture wasn't really that important at all. Star Wars' finishing the sequel trilogy on a critical and financial disappointment (not failure, not flop, but disappointment) will, however, be a catalyst for a whole bunch of people to reassess how much importance they want to put on "fandom" going forward... Which is a good thing, ultimately. Because the less everyone involved pays attention to "the fandom" the better the filmmaking is going to be in general, and the box-office will likely rise accordingly. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

I think the performance by this movie makes it clear those predictions were also off-base, just in the other direction.... When everyone was making those predictions, they were 100% not making them under the assumption this would be the worst reviewed Star Wars movie in 20+ years.... not counting The Clone Wars, of course (which nobody counts, nor should they). 

The fact this movie had to have reviews that bad, and word of mouth that low, in order for the "Fandom fractured!" predictions to get close to correct.... That says that the Fandom Fracture wasn't really that important at all. Star Wars' finishing the sequel trilogy on a critical and financial disappointment (not failure, not flop, but disappointment) will, however, be a catalyst for a whole bunch of people to reassess how much importance they want to put on "fandom" going forward... Which is a good thing, ultimately. Because the less everyone involved pays attention to "the fandom" the better the filmmaking is going to be in general, and the box-office will likely rise accordingly. 

I’m sure interest in TROS was lower than it was for TLJ before a single review hit 

sure you don’t want to cater to everything fans want, but that doesn’t necessarily mean appealing to them is a bad thing. Take a look at Endgame 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RockyMountain said:

A potential Frozen 3 would be interesting. Most of the little girls that loved the first one so much would likely be teenagers (some even college age) by the time the third one came out and the 4-10 year olds when Frozen 3 arrives will have some other product that they are obsessed with by that time. 

I'm surprised that people still get this wrong. The Frozen movie franchise does not only appeal to little girls. If that were the case, Frozen 2 would not have been so successful. The original Frozen was a documented 4 quadrant success, breaking the mold of typical Disney princess films. If anything, Frozen 2 appealed more to other demographics than the first movie, with a darker, more complex storyline.

I saw the movie again this past Thursday, and out of around 30 people in the theater, there was only one little girl. The rest were couples of all ages, and a few groups of high school and college age girls.

Whenever it happens, Frozen 3 will do just fine.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3