sfran43

Weekend Thread: Thursday Night Preview - The Grudge $1.8M w/ an F Cinemascore LMAO

Putting here what I wrote in the Brazil thread:

FROZEN 1 VS FROZEN 2 : OPENING WEEKEND

US Dollar:

Frozen 1 => $3.6m

Frozen 2 => $10.3m

Local currency (Brazilian Real):

F1 => R$9.6m

F2 => R$41.9m

It's really, really impressive!

giphy.gif

:shades:

• Like 7
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

The hate for him is ridiculous. Any time movie fans or geeks or whatever target the specific people who made the movie they didn't like rather than simply targeting their creative choices on said movie is going too far. Yea, I think Johnson made a mess of the Sequel Trilogy (not saying it wouldn't have been a mess anyways, I don't know that, but as it stands I was not a fan). But he's a damn good writer and filmmaker. 

To be honest a lot of the hate was coming from specific channels that were trying to gain an audience at the time. Those channels gave all the people that didn't like the movie a place to congregate at. When those people saw that they had entire communities to share their ill will of the movie with they started feeling empowered and so the trolling of people who participated in the movie began.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

12 minutes ago, John Marston said:

nah, considering it was marketed as basically the Endgame/ROTK of the Star Wars movie just passing a billion is very disappointing. Also the next movie won't be able to use that crutch so that's why now Lucasfilm is in some trouble

It's honestly a little humorous that your opinions are so 'out there' that you think a movie that now has a 54% critic score on RT being able to still pass a billion is somehow disappointing.

A movie like ROS still being able to hit a billion shows how huge this IP is. It doesn't show that it is an IP that is in trouble at all.

Edited by RockyMountain
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 5

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

How exactly is Bombshell doing well? With that cast it should have done 70mil. It has greatly under performed.

Don’t forget the widest Bombshell has been is 1,721 and that was this weekend. 

It’s actually doing fine. It has a long run ahead probably and some more expansions to come I’d imagine. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, John Marston said:

nah, considering it was marketed as basically the Endgame/ROTK of the Star Wars movie just passing a billion is very disappointing. Also the next movie won't be able to use that crutch so that's why now Lucasfilm is in some trouble

This is all true I'm just saying it's a good thing Disney was able to avoid the "Star Wars fails to reach a billion"  headlines for the immediate future.  That would have been a horrible look for the franchise. 

7 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

It's honestly a little humorous that your opinions are so 'out there' that you think a movie that now has a 54% critic score on RT being able to still pass a billion is somehow disappointing.

A movie like ROS still being able to hit a billion shows how huge this IP is. It doesn't show that it is an IP that is in trouble at all.

lol, making slightly over a billion after going crazy in marketing it as the "End of a generational event" is not impressive in any shape or form. Also, the next movies aren't guaranteed that much, hell there is a chance they could flop 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

He never should have gone for the SW gig. I get it, the temptation is big, especially for a young filmmaker, without a huge filmography, but he just wasn't the right fit for the trilogy flicks.

I quite enjoyed KO, so hope to see more from him. Hell, I'd even love a sequel - make Daniel Craig the central figure of a Hercule Poirot-like franchise, to rival Kenneth Brannagh. :D 

Atm, Blanc is more popular than Poirot. :stirthepot:

Just now, John Marston said:

lol, making slightly over a billion after going crazy in marketing it as the "End of a generational event" is not impressive in any shape or form. Also, the next movies aren't guaranteed that much, hell there is a chance they could flop 

Come on you are smarter than that. They made no attempt at all to indicate that this was the end at all. Everyone knew going in that there would be another Star Wars movie out in a couple years anyway. Sure they said it was the end of the Skywalker saga but pretty much everyone was ready for the Skywalker saga to be over anyway. And it really was just the end of this particular trilogy. Anyone with an ounce of common sense could have looked right past that 'end of a generation event' when they had already announced more Star Wars movies prior to this one even coming out.

• Like 4
  • Disbelief 2

13 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

The latest trilogy will have gone from 2B+ to 1,1B between the first and third episode + an avalanche of bad internet buzz. Of course the IP is in trouble, at least until it redeems itself with a smart next move, which it probably will.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

This is all true I'm just saying it's a good thing Disney was able to avoid the "Star Wars fails to reach a billion"  headlines for the immediate future.  That would have been a horrible look for the franchise. 

I don't think it's good at all. Avoiding those headlines only leads to driving the franchise into the ground. If they got those headlines, they wouldn't bother with continuation. But because they got away, you bet they are thinking of continuing and that is going to earn them those headlines and then some. Like what they did with POTC. They should have stopped after AWE cause it was a logical conclusion (and a drop from DMC so that should have been a warning). But no. They pushed with POTC 4, got away due to OS boxoffice, pushed with POTC 5 and now they kiboshed POTC 6 (despite dragging Orly and Keira into 5) and plan to reboot the franchise (as if anyone needs a reboot). So never underestimate studio stupidity when they grab the straw that saves their face somewhat. They eventually embarrass themselves thinking they'll always get away.

By continuing I mean direct continuation, not new era, new characters, no connection to ST.

Edited by Valonqar

36 minutes ago, John Marston said:

How does the way TROS was marketed make its "failure" more severe? We no longer live in an age where trailers are the primary source of information for upcoming movies. Clearly, Disney lost control of the narrative after the one-two punch of a divided fanbase/GA leading up to the film and then the negative reviews following its premiere. Despite Disney's efforts to market the film as the "Endgame/ROTK" of Star Wars, it clearly wasn't received that way by audiences (or anticipated as such). It made perfect sense to market it that way, after all it is the conclusion to the "Skywalker saga" whether we like it or not, but since many fans/GA decided to pass on this iteration of SW before/after TLJ and Solo, it really didn't matter how Disney wished for it to be received. It wasn't received as the Endgame/ROTK of Star Wars, so the film's success does not reflect that kind of potential for the brand. 

Again, why are so many people in this forum trying so so hard to make this relative failure seem as harsh as possible? Its literally everywhere. The film faced two poorly received predecessors which divided GA and the fanbase as well as negative reviews, nothing Disney could have done would make this "Endgame/ROTK" of Star Wars and we're seeing that in the box office numbers. Disney will still profit, get a small boost in consumer product sales compared to if they hadn't released a film at all, but they will still receive the message loud and clear that they need to tread carefully and take the property in a new direction. Thankfully Mandalorian is doing rather well, which should give them a sense about how to approach future SW projects (that is, focus on totally different characters and shake up the format)

Edited by Justin4125
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Justin4125 said:

How does the way TROS was marketed make its "failure" more severe? We no longer live in an age where trailers are the primary source of information for upcoming movies. Clearly, Disney lost control of the narrative after the one-two punch of a divided fanbase/GA leading up to the film and then the negative reviews following its premiere. Despite Disney's efforts to market the film as the "Endgame/ROTK" of Star Wars, it clearly wasn't received that way by audiences (or anticipated as such). It made perfect sense to market it that way, after all it is the conclusion to the "Skywalker saga" whether we like it or not, but since many fans/GA decided to pass on this iteration of SW before/after TLJ and Solo, it really didn't matter how Disney wished for it to be received. It wasn't received as the Endgame/ROTK of Star Wars, so the film's success does not reflect that kind of potential for the brand. 

Again, why are so many people in this forum trying so so hard to make this relative failure seem as harsh as possible? Its literally everywhere. The film faced two poorly received predecessors which divided GA and the fanbase as well as negative reviews, nothing Disney could have done would make this "Endgame/ROTK" of Star Wars

agree, but then why did most people predict it would match or make more than TLJ? The fact is, it is falling under most peoples expectations, thus it is a disappointment 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Knives Out is becoming my favourite run of the year.

Not sure if I’m “allowed” to say this, but I’m happy for Rian after TLJ (still hated that movie and I think it’s the main reason Star Wars is where it’s at now). But I always said to people when discussing Star Wars that Last Jedi is a good movie, it’s just a bad Star Wars movie. So Johnson is really damn good at making movies, I just want to see him do more originals like this. 

150M+ for KO though is stellar, and hopefully that tells studios SPEND THE EXTRA CASH TO MAKE QUALITY MOVIES. REVISE YOUR SHITTY SCRIPTS ONE MORE TIME BEFORE PRODUCING THEM! Original content can still make money, just make it GOOD!

You should run Hollywood !

Making good movies ?

They probably never thought of it in the Hills.

1 minute ago, Justin4125 said:

Again, why are so many people in this forum trying so so hard to make this relative failure seem as harsh as possible? Its literally everywhere. The film faced two poorly received predecessors which divided GA and the fanbase as well as negative reviews, nothing Disney could have done would make this "Endgame/ROTK" of Star Wars

But they didn't really market it that way. They slapped "End of the Saga" over "they fly now?" joke that was the most repeated thing of the marketing campaign. Why the fuck would anyone put a focus of "Skywalker Saga end" on They Fly Now? How does that drive the point home that this is the end of 9 movies? 

Point being, we were repeatedly told it was the end but we weren't shown that it was. 

26 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

A billion bucks at the box office is not what it used to be though. Overseas markets and ticket price inflation in all markets has turned it into a far more common occurrence than it used to be. Dead Man's Chest with questionable critical reception getting to a billion in 2006 was a lot more impressive. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

agree, but then why did most people predict it would match or make more than TLJ? The fact is, it is falling under most peoples expectations, thus it is a disappointment 

Why are you taking what people from the internet said so seriously. Makes it look like you are merely trying to troll when you go on and on about what other internet posters thought. So some from the internet thought the movie could do 2 billion. Big deal. There are also those people from the internet that thought the movie would do as poorly as Solo did.

THe people that I pay attention to that tend to be a lot more level headed than people from places like this are never thought the movie would do as well as TLJ. And that was before the reviews came out.

Edited by RockyMountain
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

Why are you taking what people from the internet said so seriously. Makes it look like you are merely trying to troll when you go on and on about what other internet posters thought. So some from the internet thought the movie could do 2 billion. Big deal. There are also those people from the internet that thought the movie would do as poorly as Solo did.

THe people that I pay attention to that tend to be a lot more level headed than people from places like this are never thought the movie would do as well as TLJ. And that was before the reviews came out.

I strongly doubt that people at Disney are as pleased as you are with TROS numbers. Maybe you should organise cheering sessions in their HQ

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Jumanji 2 is having a truly impressive run.

I remember back in the Chinese release, when people here predicted it to drop to around 150m DOM and 500m WW, now, it's almost locked for $300m DOM, and there's even a small chance for a $800m WW.

That's a great retention, especially when we consider it didn't have a huge hook.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Europe is my playground said:

I strongly doubt that people at Disney are as pleased as you are with TROS numbers. Maybe you should organise cheering sessions in their HQ

The guy you are responding to is essentially stating the take for TROS is no where as disastrous as some are claiming. Somehow, that amounts to “organizing a cheering session”. Amazing 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

hardly anyone predicted it would make 2 billion, but plenty predicted it would make more than TLJ because of "Finale factor" and in the last two SW trilogies, the third installment made more than the second one. 

• Like 4