sfran43

Weekend Thread: Thursday Night Preview - The Grudge $1.8M w/ an F Cinemascore LMAO

The thing is the Creative Committee at Marvel had actual power over the creative directions over the films by all accounts. The Lucasfilm Story Group supposedly is more to do with keeping things in check with canon and not really about story decisions or anything like that. Rian Johnson seemed to work closely with them while seems like JJ Abrams didn't (which kinda shows in both TFA and especially TROS).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

You're also attributing too much of the KO success to him. People didn't go to see KO because or RJ, they did it because of the premise and cast, and then the WOM.

Sure, the movie wasn't sold on his name, but are you serious?  He wrote and directed it, the great WOM is because he made a great movie.  

• Like 24

1 hour ago, Deep Wang said:

Sure, the movie wasn't sold on his name, but are you serious?  He wrote and directed it, the great WOM is because he made a great movie.  

Sure, fair enough. I just read that comment as if the success of KO has somehow invalidated any criticism of his dismal effort with TLJ. 

As I said, liked KO and it definitely proves his strength with quirkiness, and deft handling of a big cast of characters, even if his themes continue to be a bit too on the nose... 

2 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

With Skywalker likely finishing about $400M short of that $1.5B mark, it's definitely not anything to brag about for Disney...especially when they spent about $300M on production cost alone. 

This was the claim made at the time of TFA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

16 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Sure, fair enough. I just read that comment as if the success of KO has somehow invalidated any criticism of his dismal effort with TLJ. 

As I said, liked KO and it definitely proves his strength with quirkiness, and deft handling of a big cast of characters, even if his themes continue to be a bit too on the nose... 

Well, people proclaim his career was over after TLJ so of course his original movie having a mindblowing run is something to celebrate

That doesn't invalidate TLJ criticism, the movie get widespread critical acclaim just like KO but isn't so loved by audiences, it happens

• Like 2

SW seems almost locked to do $ 500M DOM and locked to pass a billion, so pretty much the boring range that everyone was expecting 

Jumanji showing excellent legs again

LW seems to be a crowd pleaser, should pass $ 100M easily

KO is a monster, won't be surprised with $ 160-170M finish depending on possible Academy Award nominations

Frozen is still great, hope it can manage $ 500M somehow just to not die so close

Very good weekend overall 

• ...wtf 1

21 minutes ago, MagnarTheGreat said:

This was the claim made at the time of TFA.

People tend to forget that we are talking about the same company that considered Age of Ultron a disappointment, if they were disappointed by a sequel dropping a mere $100m WW, I'm afraid to even wonder what they're going to consider a final movie that ended dropping almost 50% from where it started, LMFAO. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

SW seems almost locked to do $ 500M DOM and locked to pass a billion, so pretty much the boring range that everyone was expecting 

Jumanji showing excellent legs again

LW seems to be a crowd pleaser, should pass $ 100M easily

KO is a monster, won't be surprised with $ 160-170M finish depending on possible Academy Award nominations

Frozen is still great, hope it can manage $ 500M somehow just to not die so close

Very good weekend overall 

NOBODY here expected it to finish barely surpassing $500m DOM, most of people had it matching and even increasing from the last one because "it always happened with the SW franchise". Don't even try to re-write history. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

7 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

NOBODY here expected it to finish barely surpassing $500m DOM, most of people had it matching and even increasing from the last one because "it always happened with the SW franchise". Don't even try to re-write history. 

I think they mean expectations after the 2nd weekend, not e.g. expectations before ticket sales began.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

I mean, i said after the mixed reviews and the meh debut, we are expecting basically this boring range since then

Calm down dude, we all get it's doing way worse than it should

• Like 1

The last jedi did cause episode 9 to underperform

Not because it was a bad movie it was because it didn't really interest people to what would happen next.

There are a lot of people I know that are interested in Star Wars but frankly lost interest after watching the 8th film in the franchise in this new trilogy

• Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

8 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Not because it was a bad movie it was because it didn't really interest people to what would happen next.

There are a lot of people I know that are interested in Star Wars but frankly lost interest after watching the 8th film in the franchise in this new trilogy

Ok

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Love TLJ but you're right

ESB left a big cliffhanger that had to be resolved with ROTJ

ROTS had the hook of showing the final transformation of Anakin to Vader

TLJ didn't really set up a reason for people to anticipate TROS which resulted in its lower OW

But TROS can only blame itself for its collapsing legs

• Like 2