Eric Loves Rey

GOLDEN GLOBES 2020 DISCUSSION THREAD | 1917 and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood win

4 minutes ago, rihrey said:

so, marriage story and parasite were robbed and I'm sad

For sure. But Bong just said one of the greatest quotes in hollywood history. Parasite was always going to be robbed. But hopefully Bong's quote pushes the boundaries for foreign films in Hollywood in the future.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Is he...ok?

No, he's not, and that's why he's interesting.

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Gervais was on autopilot after the opening. You could feel that he is completely over this gig.

Agree.  I'm not quite sure what he got paid for.  A sharp monologue, but he almost disappeared afterwards.  They didn't need a host, either. 

11 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Ripoff may be a bit strong, but IMO everything revealed about 1917 before its premiere felt like Mendes watched Dunkirk and immediately tried to figure out how to do his own version that would win more awards, including working with some longtime Nolan collaborators. It's fine, everyone gets inspired by something...

The most important collaborator is probably Deakins... Mostly known for working with the Coens and has worked with Mendes already a few times. Thomas Newman always seems to score his movies too. Newman scored 1917. Mendes co-wrote the screenplay, supposedly inspired on his grandfather. 

Guess I just don't know who these people are... Seems the big names here are him, the usual Brit thesps and people he always works with. Couldn't you argue he was just as inspired by what Peter Jackson did?

15 minutes ago, The Chad DC said:

Why do people have a problem with Ricky?

Honestly i see no problem with his jokes. Imo it just seems that some of you are just as stuck up as the Hollywood celebs.

Ricky isn't some obnoxious ahole. Hollywood fking sucks and is an awful place. Weinstein happened. Making a joke in front of the ppl that let it happen and calling them out takes balls. I see no reason to dislike Ricky.

He calls out milquetoast-liberal hypocrisy and those people have no sense of humor. 

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I still can't build up much enthusiasm to check out The Two Popes.

The first 30 minutes are great, as are the leads, but the movie sort of meanders after that. It's not a bad film by any means, but it doesn't deliver on the potential the first act sets up. 

36 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Yes. As far as I can tell, at this point, it looks to be either 1917 or Hollywood for Best Picture. 

Yeah, I could see this week being the potential turning point for 1917 emerging as the new frontrunner, if it also does well when it opens wide and everyone gets a chance to see it. 

And 1917 seems like a choice BAFTA would go for. The only snag is that 1917 got no representation with SAG, but those nominations were released fairly early (on Dec 11 last year). The ranked ballot method for Best Picture at the Oscars makes things somewhat less straightforward.

But Oscar nominations are not even out yet (nor are PGA/DGA noms) - I need to see how all of the films fare overall when it comes to nominations. And sometimes the Globes are siloed from the industry, when it comes to their picks. For example,

- In 2015, Spotlight won zilch at the Globes, but won SAG ensemble and went on to win the Best Picture Oscar.

- In 2010, The King's Speech didn't win Picture, Director or Screenplay at the Globes, but went on to win PGA, DGA and SAG Ensemble, and won the Best Picture Oscar.

- In 2009, The Hurt Locker won zilch at the Globes, but went on to win PGA & DGA and the Best Picture Oscar.

Peace,

Mike

Damn so I'd say Marriage Story and Irishman are no longer BP front runners. I'd argue that this really boosts 1917's chances. OUATIH as well for sure, but I feel like if they gave BP to that it would just be basically a lifetime award for Tarantino

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Damn so I'd say Marriage Story and Irishman are no longer BP front runners. I'd argue that this really boosts 1917's chances. OUATIH as well for sure, but I feel like if they gave BP to that it would just be basically a lifetime award for Tarantino

Netflix made pictures were never going to be frontrunners at the Oscars. I mean Roma lost last year and that might have been the greatest piece of art in the 2010s.

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

And poor Netflix continues to wonder when it'll finally be their year. Next year they have the newest movies from Fincher and Spike Lee.

37 minutes ago, The Chad DC said:

Why do people have a problem with Ricky?

Honestly i see no problem with his jokes. Imo it just seems that some of you are just as stuck up as the Hollywood celebs.

Ricky isn't some obnoxious ahole. Hollywood fking sucks and is an awful place. Weinstein happened. Making a joke in front of the ppl that let it happen and calling them out takes balls. I see no reason to dislike Ricky.

Seth MacFarlane made a Harvey joke at the Oscar nomination announcements years before before #MeToo. The notion that only Gervais is brave enough to tell biting jokes to Hollywood's face has always been absurd; Tina Fey/Amy Poehler were plenty cutting in their time as GG hosts and Kimmel got in some barbs. Chris Rock destroyed Jude Law at the Oscars in 2005 and Jude fired his agents soon after.

Cannot stand the Gervais "too cool for school" award show shtick when ultimately he's there, isn't he, in a paid gig and getting his mug all over the highly rated spectacle he supposedly despises, so who's the real hypocrite? Celebs who seriously dislike everything award shows are about, and hate them that much could just, you know, stay home, especially if they aren't nominated for anything. But then, there's not the same publicity in that, so...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Chad DC said:

Netflix made pictures were never going to be frontrunners at the Oscars. I mean Roma lost last year and that might have been the greatest piece of art in the 2010s.

I mean I haven't seen 1917 yet, but Marriage Story was my favourite of the nominees (with Rocketman and Jojo being second and third). 

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

And poor Netflix continues to wonder when it'll finally be their year. Next year they have the newest movies from Fincher and Spike Lee.

The new Fincher is Netflix?? Damn they're really working on putting out good original content. At this point I'd say they can "replace" Fox and we have the Big 6 studios again :lol: 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Harvey Weinstein is a brilliant man.

He had Hollywood in the palm of his hands, you were just whining about it.

He invented your beloved indie movie and that is a fact.

Joaquin Phoenix is what you get when you are raised by fucking hippies.

Embarrasing on every level.

Few people were able to see The Irishman in full while being just a click away.

That's how boring it is.

Ambiant sales are going down I heard.

Renée who ?

Weinstein is a piece of shit whose only great move was to one day bet on Quentin Tarantino. He invented nothing except jizzing in flower pots.

Joaquin Phoenix is a goofball AND a brilliant actor.

The Irishman is beautiful.

9 minutes ago, DAJK said:

OUATIH as well for sure, but I feel like if they gave BP to that it would just be basically a lifetime award for Tarantino

It's not his last movie though. Even beyond that it's probably one of the three best films of the ones that'll probably get nominated