Eric Prime

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

39 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Hate to say it, but this movie will be forgotten 5 minutes after it is released. It may even be forgotten before its release.

Gonna come right out and say it will struggle to get much past $300 million domestic and won't break $700 million WW.

The quality of the movie will matter more than the box office here. Captain Marvel is a big character; she'll be in the big 3 of the next Avengers movie, I'm pretty sure about that; a 1st or 2nd lead is also possible. It takes time for a MCU character to fully establish themselves. Anything above 500M, I won't be disappointed, but if it goes below 500M, I would blame Marvel Studios for that.

Edited by Factcheck
  • Like 1

I think people need to reset their expectations for the MCU. The ceiling has mostly dropped since Endgame, with the rare exception(s). The floor seems to have been raised, but there clearly has been a downturn. We can think of Phase 1/2 as the first "film" of a franchise, whereas Phase 3 was the sequel. Now Phase 4/5 are trying to follow it up, but it's hard to follow a killer 2nd film.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Verrows said:

When do you guys think the first trailer will drop? I'm fairly certain we'll see it on Super Bowl Sunday (February 12).

After that, no new MCU trailers for awhile, as the next entry is Captain America: New World Order in May 2024.

March end or April 1st week

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

Not expecting anything until like, April.

Maybe a new trend, then, of July Marvel movies getting later marketing campaigns, starting with Thor L&T.

Just realized that Super Bowl Sunday is likely when we'll get the second trailer for Guardians 3 (just like Multiverse of Madness). Marvel likely wouldn't drop 2 trailers simultaneously (the Ant-Man one today was a "special look" with not much new footage so that doesn't count).

I don't expect marketing to as painfully bad and late as Thor L&T. I'm expecting the first teaser in time for Ant Man QM (maybe Superbowl-that would place it perfectly to show in front of AMQ) and the first full trailer in time for GOTG3.

Edited by jedijake
  • Like 1

The Marvels official Synopsis-

CAROL DANVERS, ALSO KNOWN AS CAPTAIN MARVEL, RECOVERED HER IDENTITY FROM THE TYRANNICAL KREE AND TOOK REVENGE ON SUPREME INTELLIGENCE BUT UNEXPECTED CONSEQUENCES LEAD CAROL TO CARRY THE BURDEN OF AN UNESTABILIZED UNIVERSE WHEN HER DUTIES SEND HER TO AN ANONYMOUS WORM HOLE LINKED TO A REVOLUTIONARY KREE. HER POWERS INTERCONNECT WITH THOSE OF HER JERSEY CITY, KAMALA KHAN, ALSO KNOWN AS MS. MARVEL, AND CAROL'S DISTANT NIECE, CAPTAIN MONICA RAMBEAU. TOGETHER, THIS UNLIKELY TRIO MUST UNITE AND LEARN TO WORK TOGETHER TO SAVE THE UNIVERSE AS 'THE MARVELS’

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

It's not going that low lmao

I've seen crazier things happen. The first film was massively boosted by Endgame hype and the immense strength of the Marvel brand. Neither of which this one will enjoy. That first film not leaving much of a mark otherwise will bite this in the ass hard. And that's not even mentioning the recent emergence of superhero/Marvel fatigue.

• Like 1

Theres no way for this but way down from Captain Marvel, but i dont see this going under 500M WW. Marvel brand and fanbase is too big for that. Otoh, i dont see this grossing much more than like 600M WW either. Black Panther 2 just failed to gross 800M WW and thats with massive DOM help.

Id currently predict this to gross 200M DOM / 350M OS = 550M WW.

Whats going against is that it doesnt feel like an event whatsoever. MoM has the NWH hype and Multiverse angle, Thor 4 had ... well, Thor and BP2 was the sequel to a 700M DOM grosser. Ant-Man 2 introduces Kang, GOTG Vol 3 is the final James Gunn GOTG movie and thus has an emotional/nostalgia angle but The Marvels?

What is the hook of The Marvels? That probably the least-liked Avenger teams up with a character from a show that not many people watched? Ehhh.

Edited by Brainbug

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Black Panther 2 just failed to gross 800M WW and thats with massive DOM help.

Wakanda is at 820m now and should end with 830m-840m. A similar fall gives Marvels around 650-700m.

5 minutes ago, YM! said:

Wakanda is at 820m now and should end with 830m-840m. A similar fall gives Marvels around 650-700m.

Thanks, seems i remembered the number wrongly. Good to see that it surpassed 800M.