Eric S'ennui

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

The funny part is that the boom of rotten tomatoes was actually because of pop culture reviewers. You can clearly see how movies starting to have 400-500 reviews instead of 200-250 is aligned with the growing of MCU. The press that mostly counts for reviewing this movies are fans of them. 

Is funny reading previously excuses about a possible bad reception being related with the press hating Marvel even if a big portion of them are actually fans, and nothing to do with the product being actually questionable.

Marvel has not let down its fans with mostly subpar products the last couple of years, no its the fans that have let down Marvel for not spending money on the slop they are served.

Every excuse under the sun, but here is the real reason, the public is sick and tired of the darn Nissan commercials.  They have to watch her in their home for 3 hours every weekend when trying to watch football they don't want to pay to see her in a movie that looks like it was budgeted and made for D+.

• Like 5

Why doesn't Marvel have some fan screenings for The Marvels, like they did with GOTG 3? This movie is getting released overseas in less than 4 days, so why not screening it to fans in order to build word of mouth like GOTG 3? Why lifting SOCIAL embargos basically 1 day before the release?

Seriously, folks. MCU made a lot of great movies, but this one really has a lot of red flags that are so red that you can't ignore them even if you're freaking blind, lol.

I know some really want it to be good, but please be realistic. If this movie gets good reviews, it's even worse because it shows Marvel is incompetent and doesn't have confidence around their own products. They better get their shit together, because this train derailed badly.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Why doesn't Marvel have some fan screenings for The Marvels, like they did with GOTG 3? This movie is getting released overseas in less than 4 days, so why not screening it to fans in order to build word of mouth like GOTG 3? Why lifting SOCIAL embargos basically 1 day before the release?

Seriously, folks. MCU made a lot of great movies, but this one really has a lot of red flags that are so red that you can't ignore them even if you're freaking blind, lol.

I know some really want it to be good, but please be realistic. If this movie gets good reviews, it's even worse because it shows Marvel is incompetent and doesn't have confidence around their own products. They better get their shit together, because this train derailed badly.

Because they know from internal testing it's not very good tbh. Fan screenings are only done if there's a major fanservice thing that can be used to drag people in (The NWH/Venom ends up in the MCU post-credit in Venom 2, Cavill Superman for Black Adam) or if they really think it's great.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

This CGI is very crappy for a 250 million budgeted movie. This is Superman 4 level of shit. 

I'm getting Fant4stic vibes from what's happening to this movie. 

Writers and actors strikes probably impacted the reshoots. So it wasn't just the promotion that was hurt.

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Under Flash feels so unlikely. We are talking about serial abuser Ezra Miller in a soon to be dead DCEU movie here.

More likely the struggles of the Flash were not really linked to these issues. It’s a popcorn movie - the bigger issue was that Flash just ain’t popular and it’s an awkward team up with your Dads Batman. That capped it but at least he did have some fans and Dad still want to see his Batman.

1 hour ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

This CGI is very crappy for a 250 million budgeted movie. This is Superman 4 level of shit. 

This is a case of it not being ‘bad CGI’ but bad direction which can’t magically be fixed by a VFX studio. Marvel culturally needs to change its approach to movie making for any of this to change.

Too much pre-production decisions are being decided in post. I doubt it matters too much to a films success but these rough around the edges do give a D+ vibe and just stop it appearing pristine.

Edited by Sckathian
  • Like 1

is the cat motif part of the source material and/or the first movie or was it something added here to be meme-able? 

I never saw the first movie but it looked like a fairly serious origin story, so it’s striking how deliberate the tone-change has been for this one. 

1 minute ago, Hatebox said:

is the cat motif part of the source material and/or the first movie or was it something added here to be meme-able? 

I never saw the first movie but it looked like a fairly serious origin story, so it’s striking how deliberate the tone-change has been for this one. 

is from the comics, and is a part of the first one. The first one has a lot of criticism of how they use a joke to explain the fury blind eye

• Like 1

Like everyone and their mother has deduced, Disney has completely given up on this movie. It was made under a dead regime and is a remnant of a bygone era Marvel is now moving away from. Shit, I bet the studio has more faith in Echo now especially after the reactions that trailer got, which would say a lot considering that they haven't shown much confidence in that either. If they truly had faith in this movie, then it would've been pushed back to next May and they would've spent the money on reshoots to fix it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Like everyone and their mother has deduced, Disney has completely given up on this movie. It was made under a dead regime and is a remnant of a bygone era Marvel is now moving away from. Shit, I bet the studio has more faith in Echo now especially after the reactions that trailer got, which would say a lot considering that they haven't shown much confidence in that either. If they truly had faith in this movie, then it would've been pushed back to next May and they would've spent the money on reshoots to fix it.

The Shazam: Fury of the Gods of Marvel

• Like 1