Eric Prime

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Nice of him to warn them. Way too many people that are mentally unstable depend way too much on whatever it is they like doing well. They get way too obsessive for their own good.

28 minutes ago, Valencia said:

I can’t believe a Marvel movie bombing at the box office has got people seriously discussing mental health maintenance techniques lol.

I’ve literally just read, right before coming here, about a Boca Juniors(biggest soccer team in Argentina) killing himself yesterday and blaming it on his team losing a cup final. Was it the sole reason? Likely not, he was probably in a poor place mentally beforehand and using his team’s success as a mental clutch for himself.

Sometimes people invest themselves way too much on shit like this, I think it’s good to remind them that there’s more to life than that.

22 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Oh no, of course not, and I'm black btw. I knew you were black too. I'm just pointing out the unhealthy relationship that fans, short for fanatic of course, have with media relationships. It's all fun and rosy at first but then when things turn sour, they lash out at whatever they perceive to be a threat to their continued joy with that media. One might say they need to touch grass but others might say that they were already mentally unhealthy anyways even without being obsessed with a corporate product.

Fans have always been pretty crazy in every fandom I've been in. Buffy fandom was so fucking toxic in the early 00's but, and I'm going off on a tangent here, its gotten really bad in the last 10 years or so with social media and fans basing their entire personality off of their favorite media/game/movie/show/singer/politician/whatever.

Exactly, it’s really a sign of bad mental health when you become way too obsessive about pop culture products in general. Good to have hobbies, but you need to be able to step back sometimes and understand this is not among the most important things in life.

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

What the... I thought you were white lmao

I remember one time Charlie here found my Twitter and was surprised to discover I was white actually. I...had no idea how to respond to that. And I still don't. 😕

• Haha 2

Alright, I didn't want to make any actual box office predictions. But i'm gonna do it just for fun.
I am formally predicting that The Marvels will get an opening weekend domestic gross of 65-80m dollars. I understand that the presales are very low, and seem to warrant a lower range, but these seem to be at odds with Awareness and Interest tracking via The Quorum, which would seem to suggest something just a little under GotG 3. So i'm going somewhere in between. 

I've also previously stated on reddit that I'm predicting a 90 or so Critic Score on Rotten Tomatoes. I think the film will be well received and have pretty good legs, saving it from being a total flop.  

edit: wrt RT score. Nia DaCosta has a good pre-MCU average critic score at 89.5 And Generally 75% of the time, Directors MCU-debut is positive or neutral for their Average RT critic score. And 50% of the 25 % of the time that its negative, it's only very slightly negative. Only two MCU directors had their MCU-debut score more than 1-2 percentage points below their average. Chloe Zhao with Eternals, and Shane Black with Iron Man 3 (both underrated films imo). So in that regard, it's just not all that likely that Nia hits us with a 75, or something in that zone. 

Edited by Hypercortical
  • Disbelief 1

24 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Can’t believe I’m saying this but I do feel

sorry for her. Having to smile and promote a movie, on your own because a strike, that you know will bomb and significantly harm your career must be shit. 

She is under contract. If she refuses, she gets sued. Might as well soldier on for a few more days and move on.

45 minutes ago, Hypercortical said:

When people do the presale tracking and they show the multipliers for each comp, what exactly are they measuring? like when it says 1.5x [insert film] are they saying the percentage of available seats bought is 1.5x, or just the raw number of seats bought? 

For example: 

THE HUNGER GAMES: THE BALLAD OF SONGBIRDS AND SNAKES
T-11

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

4.0%

(0.857x) of Fast X $6.43M Previews

This means as of T-11 Hunger Games has sold 0.857x seats compared to Fast X (Fast X had sold 1491 total seats as of T-11)

So, 0.857 X $7.5M (previews of Fast X) = $6.43M 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

The Marvels doesn't mean nobody will ever see another Marvel movie again. The franchise is hardly as doomed as people here claim.

I didn’t say anything about the Marvels. I said making the films cheaper won’t do anything to bring back the millions of people who have stopped following the MCU. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Marvel-In-Trouble-Illustration-Full-2.jp
Marvel-Cover-Variety-FORWEB.jpg

these are the cartoons Variety commissioned for their MCU article last week. 

Poor Groot, what’s he doing front and center there? The movies he is in have done great.

Is this about the “I am Groot” short animations? They’re like 3-5 minutes each, they’re not that serious nor matter at all to the MCU at large(a Spotlight project before they even created that label?) but they’re cute and my toddler likes them. 

There is nothing ridiculous about telling folks to look out for their mental health.  Or to not engage if it upsets them.  I've been in Fandom for a long time.  We might even be getting into "before you were born" territory for a couple of you.  It's supposed to be an escape.  It's supposed to be fun.  It's supposed to be a place where you can hang out with like-minded nerds, and talk about your favorite weird obsessions.  There is nothing better than finding a BFF that will hang out, together and alone, on an OTP Isle cause you're the only two not on the OTP mainland.

If it's not bringing you joy, then cut it out of your lives.  I've been thinking about that a lot in the last four-five years.  None of this shit matters. I got a life, and a job, and dog, and I don't have time for things that cause more stress in my life.  If logging onto Twitter/Reddit/Forum/Etc is going to cause stress, because it's nothing but people shitting my favorite fictional security blanket, then I'm gonna heel turn out the door.

As you should.  There's no reason to fight about this.  Especially with people who are just looking to go fifteen rounds.  I've never got hatedom, and I never will.  Just don't engage.  Go fucking touch grass and find something you actually like.  Put more joy back into the world.  It's shitty enough, don't add to the composite pile.

• Like 5
  • Heart 5
  • Haha 1

On 11/2/2023 at 7:05 PM, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Who knows, maybe it is good and they want to make the haters look foolish and focus on giving the film good legs? I don't know, I'm stretching. I can't understand anything Marvel does these days.

having seen it, i can tell you that that's not the case

• Haha 2