Eric Prime

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

1 minute ago, Hypercortical said:

I don't know why you're acting like these are negative descriptions. 

Positive but you can clearly see asterisks. These are far from glowing reviews .

Even though it's surging . Average score has remained consistent .

It was hovering at 5.5-5.6 for the most part .

That tells all you need to know .  

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

No need to be bitter at a movie getting a Fresh. All indications that this isn't horrible. If it is entertaining, most critics will let it slide. Fresh will help it do a little better at least this weekend.

All indications were never that it's horrible, just mid. And those fresh reviews are mixed but decided to submit as fresh. They are not raves or anything like that. Deadline's cosmic masterpiece is the only rave out of 100+ reviews. That's why I'm saying it doesn't matter whether they are rotten or "fresh" like this bunch, they are not going to move the needle. The movie is flopping either way. Too big a budget, too small a demand and second weekend stacked with competition (THG, Trolls, Thanksgiving). 

39 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

They were full of stuff like “I’m sorry, but The Marvels is an absolute blast”, “I thought I’d hate this but The Marvels is a really fucking good film you guys” etc etc etc. Total hyperbolic nonsense. We need to do away with even acknowledging social reactions for blockbusters. 

A lot of films I'd quantify as objectively Not Good Films™ are also a "blast".

The Santa Clause, Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End, Speed Racer, etc.

• ...wtf 2

Let me listed the world-famous Hollywood movie that making terrible box office this year:

The Flash

Mission Impossible VII

DD

Ant man III

The Mermaid (good for DOM but OS is terrible)

FastX(box office didn’t cover budget)

Transformer VII

Indiana Jones V

Bluebeetle

Shazam

The Marvels

And All members in this “great club”:

Welcome,Aquaman 2!!!

This is cursed year for Hollywood

Edited by Sophia Jane

2 hours ago, Hypercortical said:

True. They should have thought twice about making a whole ass team where There isn't a single pairing that wouldn't give audiences the ick. Stucky and Stony carried the fandom. with 62k and 41k fanfics respectively on Ao3. But are people gonna ship Carol/Kamala or Carol/Monica or Monica/Kamala. No shot, it's not happening. I don't care that Elsanna is the most popular frozen ship, it's not the same audience. 

I thought it was a missed opportunity not to make Carol gay since it seemed like she had a thing going on with Maria in that first movie.

3 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I don’t think the ‘will it/won’t it be fresh’ question will matter much when the ow numbers come in, tbh

It could matter very very slightly where it’s at tomorrow going into OW. Being rotten could mean unmitigated box office disaster, fresh might mean it manages like low 40s instead of low 30s or something. Think there’s definitely a certain kind of perception with audiences once they see the rotten stem. 

Edited by MovieMan89

I never, ever, ever call out reviews but there is a little bit of bullshit in some reviews. There's a particular review that I read (in the Washington Post) that really laid into the film.

What really stuck out to me was the review didn't know why Monica Rambeau is a "grown woman" now. His exact words were "Cosmic rays seem to be way better than Clinique for the skin".  I can understand if a critic doesn't have any background knowledge about the characters in a sequel but to acknowledge what's come before and completely misrepresent it to criticize a movie is a pretty ridiculous thing to do.

That particular reviewer was probably just looking for reasons to lay into the movie regardless because they seem to have forgotten the original movie took place in the 90s. (???).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

I never, ever, ever call out reviews but there is a little bit of bullshit in some reviews. There's a particular review that I read (in the Washington Post) that really laid into the film.

What really stuck out to me was the review didn't know why Monica Rambeau is a "grown woman" now. His exact words were "Cosmic rays seem to be way better than Clinique for the skin".  I can understand if a critic doesn't have any background knowledge about the characters in a sequel but to acknowledge what's come before and completely misrepresent it to criticize a movie is a pretty ridiculous thing to do.

That particular reviewer was probably just looking for reasons to lay into the movie regardless because they seem to have forgotten the original movie took place in the 90s. (???).

Not the first reviewer I have seen that seems to have completely forgotten important plot points from the first movie and decided that it has actually happened in one of the TV shows or something.

But I suppose that will happen with some of  the GA as well and it’s just a general symptom of how the MCU is being perceived right now (too much homework etc etc)

7 minutes ago, Sophia Jane said:

Let me listed the world-famous Hollywood movie that making terrible box office this year:

The Flash

Mission Impossible VII

DD

Ant man III

Transformer VII

Indiana Jones V

Bluebeetle

Shazam

The Marvels

Welcome,Aquaman 2!!!

Well, the only movie on that list I'll probably ever watch is Mission Impossible.

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It could matter very very slightly where it’s at tomorrow going into OW. Being rotten could mean unmitigated box office disaster, fresh might mean it manages like low 40s instead of low 30s or something. Think there’s definitely a certain kind of perception with audiences once they see the rotten stem. 

Anything that doesn't break even is a disaster, there are just degrees of disaster. Is it going to be unmitigated disaster (too far from break even point) or just a disaster (close to it but no cigar). Since budget reports peg it at between 220M and 250M after rebate, needs 550M-625M just to break even. TLM needed 625M but topped out at 570M so just a flop but not an unmitigated one. TM doesn't seem that "lucky" with sales this abysmal OS and 3 new movies next week including THG that targets spectacle and action crowd.

21 minutes ago, Sophia Jane said:

The Flash

Mission Impossible VII

DD

Ant man III

Transformer VII

Indiana Jones V

Bluebeetle

Shazam

The Marvels

Welcome,Aquaman 2!!!

Half of these wouldn't be truly considered flops if the budgets hadn't been inflated so much. Some of the budgets of movies on this list are truly shocking. I know I know, COVID, but still.

The worst part? The strike will be inflating the budgets of some movies coming out in the next couple of years as well...