Eric Prime

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

This is a CBM   sequel . Elemental being an animation and original movie would not be a good comp.

It's November . Even with Thanksgiving and end of year festivities. It won't give you the legs needed.

Guardians 3 yes while having strong reception.

Had the summer window and movies around it were flopping or underperforming for the most part.

Guardians are way more popular than CM and think audiences on the fences were  way more  willing to come out for this and than they will for marvels.

Actors not being able to promote this movie is definitely hurt it alot , marketing was ehhh, interest was low.

Marvels has fuck all going for it .

16 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I don't really think it's that implausible good reviews will help it's legs.

Reviews are more about helping OW (so having a good finish relative to uber weak start we are seeing), legs are about audience WOM more than anything

and if it is positive that can help! but this is still an mcu film and a sequel at that in november, the multiplier won't be anything crazy regardless. with good wom and bad start could muster 3ish I guess but anything significantly better seems way too hopeful to me

so if it opens to 70ish could pull 200-210 if WOM is good I guess, it has a long way to even open 70 though honestly.

I was looking at sacto pace earlier today and it is dreadful, and the numbers keyser posted for friday are bad too so not showing much hope for big IM either.

if marvel is confident in the film now's the time to really pull out all the stops with early reactions and fan shows like with gotg.

• Like 2

Would not be surprised if Disney makes some release date news today. They got to figure out what trailer placements they want for this  and Wish next month. Will they move CA:BNW back up to the May 3rd date or might they move up a Fox movie like Kingdom Of The Planet of the Apes. Will see.

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

What kind of positive reviews are we talking about? The ones that go “yeah it was visually ugly, had too much out of place humor, and a weak villain but it was “fun” I guess so thumbs up” ? I don’t think that will help too much

We're referring to the actual leaked excerpts, not hypothetical negative reviews like the ones you're citing here.

6 hours ago, JustLurking said:

Reviews are more about helping OW (so having a good finish relative to uber weak start we are seeing), legs are about audience WOM more than anything

and if it is positive that can help! but this is still an mcu film and a sequel at that in november, the multiplier won't be anything crazy regardless. with good wom and bad start could muster 3ish I guess but anything significantly better seems way too hopeful to me

so if it opens to 70ish could pull 200-210 if WOM is good I guess, it has a long way to even open 70 though honestly.

I was looking at sacto pace earlier today and it is dreadful, and the numbers keyser posted for friday are bad too so not showing much hope for big IM either.

if marvel is confident in the film now's the time to really pull out all the stops with early reactions and fan shows like with gotg.

We can't say for sure that this will cross 200m WW; crossing 300m would be very difficult for this, and the only way this can gross more than 400m WW is if it becomes a big breakout movie in the US or China. More than the movie's box office, I'm now interested in whether it gets good critics and audience scores or not, and what's the future of Captain Marvel in the MCU after this.

The fact is we don't have reviews yet so anyone claiming that reviews are bad or good are full of it. Furthermore IGN and Empire always give Marvel movies good reviews so it is very easy to predict what they will give the next Marvel movie. Hint, it won't be lower than a 7/10 and a 3/5 respectively. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

More detail on review excerpts:

My guess is the third one with the name redacted is the name of a specific reviewer and not the name of an outlet, which is why it was redacted and the others weren't.

the third is from another outlet

51 minutes ago, fmpro said:

Interesting. Deadline who is quoted by comingsoon(that is not a bo tracking site) said this.

This projection is down from long-lead tracking’s $90M figure two weeks, that figure from box office analytics firm Quorum.

I dont know why everyone is using quorum. I think their tracking has never matched any actual BO. I guess studios/chains dont want to pay NRG anymore. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I dont know why everyone is using quorum. I think their tracking has never matched any actual BO. I guess studios/chains dont want to pay NRG anymore. 

They've done pretty well for themselves considering it was just a Redditor who's never really provided anything useful

Edited by ringedmortality

Drop the review embargo right now Disney if they’re good. This needs all the help from weeks of a strong pre-release RT score it could get. That said, the first movie somehow got fairly strong reviews too, and I really don’t know why. MCU used to be fairly invincible to poor reviews, though that has changed a bit this decade.