Eric Twister

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

42 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Lol give it a break! Might as well call it MCU tax at this point.

Endgame tax worked for Captain Marvel, let's be honest Captain Marvel logo appearing in InfinIty War and Captain Marvel's subsequent connection and lead up to Endgame Boosted it very much.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

But...it is. Factually.

I mean (different scenarios because I don’t think Captain Marvel was anywhere as bad as predecessors of the aforementioned films and to be honest the best comparison is Wakanda for it) but so were The Last Knight, Pirates 5, Alice 2, Beasts 1 and other films that came off of big predecessors but couldn’t maintain momentum.

I don’t think Captain Marvel is as hated as chuds on the internet want to believe because they’re mad at Brie Larson’s existence and wokeism that doesn’t really exist present (only the bare minuscule) in the film, I do think a fall seems likely because the first broke out as a zeitgeist similar to Avengers to Ultron, Black Panther to Wakanda, Spider-Man to SM2, or inevitably Civil War to New World Order or No Way Home to SM4. I don’t think the film is anywhere near disliked MCU films from the GA like half of Phase 4’s films or even The Dark World and Hulk from the MCU heyday.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, YM! said:

I don’t think Captain Marvel is as hated as chuds on the internet want to believe because they’re mad at Brie Larson’s existence and wokeism that doesn’t really exist present (only the bare minuscule) in the film, I do think a fall seems likely because the first broke out as a zeitgeist similar to Avengers to Ultron, Black Panther to Wakanda, Spider-Man to SM2, or inevitably Civil War to New World Order or No Way Home to SM4. I don’t think the film is anywhere near disliked MCU films from the GA like half of Phase 4’s films or even The Dark World and Hulk from the MCU heyday.

There is a resistance to accepting change and an unwillingness to accept her as the lead character in a section (I don't know whether they are small in numbers or large) of MCU fandom. I've noticed them on Marvel Reddit forums and other social media platforms. I don't know what exactly Feige is going to do with the character, but there are enough indications that she'll be the main lead or one of the main leads in KD and SW.

9 hours ago, YM! said:

I mean (different scenarios because I don’t think Captain Marvel was anywhere as bad as predecessors of the aforementioned films and to be honest the best comparison is Wakanda for it) but so were The Last Knight, Pirates 5, Alice 2, Beasts 1 and other films that came off of big predecessors but couldn’t maintain momentum.

Not really. Wakanda Forever didn't even have the main character from the first movie.

12 hours ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Captain Marvel without Endgame would not be coming close to the figures it did.

I remember some random folks in coffee house back in 2019 were discussing Captain Marvel and out of curiosity I asked them why did they watch it and they all said they wanted to see Endgame connection and didn't care about the movie itself. One of the most undeserved billion grossers ever.

• Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, ChipDerby said:

Endgame could've come out years later and Captain Marvel would've grossed the same amount.

No, it wouldn't have. It grossed on its first outing almost as much as Civil War and much more than extremely well received solo movies with top tier characters, without any stellar reception behind it, Avengers gave it a huge boost. Doesn't mean it would've flopped or anything, but it would've been more like 700-800 mln than 1.1 bln. Now The Marvels will likely pay for sins of its predecessor unless it gets truly great reception and marketing across the board which is highly unlikely.

1 hour ago, ChipDerby said:

Also, it's ridiculous to imply that any Marvel movie made money on its own. They literally all (except Iron Man 1) owe their gross to the previous film. 

Never denied that, in fact I agree, but Cap Marvel was connected to the largest crossover ever, not just cinematic universe in general.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Firepower said:

I remember some random folks in coffee house back in 2019 were discussing Captain Marvel and out of curiosity I asked them why did they watch it and they all said they wanted to see Endgame connection and didn't care about the movie itself. One of the most undeserved billion grossers ever.

Deserving has nothing to do with it, it had some circumstances which boosted it, that's fine.

But people ignoring those circumstances is just lol.

7 hours ago, Firepower said:

Never denied that, in fact I agree, but Cap Marvel was connected to the largest crossover ever, not just cinematic universe in general.

BP was directly connected to Infinity War(1st part of culmination of Infinity Saga), there was an entire Wakanda war scene in Infinity War trailer. DS2 was boosted by both Infinity War & NWH. But no, we ignore all these and only talk about a female MCU movie's success. I wonder why? 

Edited by Factcheck
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Factcheck said:

BP was directly connected to Infinity War(1st part of culmination of Infinity Saga), there was an entire Wakanda war scene in Infinity War trailer. DS2 was boosted by both Infinity War & NWH. But no, we ignore all these and only talk about a female MCU movie's success. I wonder why? 

BP and DS2 being boosted by said films has been talked about plenty on this forum so I would urge you to define who this "we" is