Eric S'ennui

***PLEASE READ***Why the Fanboy Wars Thread is Locked: New Rules are being TESTED ***PLEASE READ***

• Community Manager
1 hour ago, Walt Disney said:

I think it’s a smart move. The fanboy wars thread was supposed to be a thread to let people argue about their favorite franchises. However, it became a place for personal attacks. I got caught up in retaliating at times when I was insulted, and the mods did what they felt they had to do because they felt I stepped out of line when retaliating,  and I completely understand that and hold no ill will. However, the environment that the fanboy wars thread encouraged is what led to those situations.

I really don’t post here much anymore as a result. This website used to be about arguing about movies and talking box office. But it has become a place that is about personal insults and picking fights. I think it’s a good idea to bring this board back to what it was. 

My one suggestion would be to get rid of the “not cool” emoji because it has become a tool to troll posters. If someone disagrees with a post, then let them respond. Being able to just vote down unpopular opinions doesn’t encourage productive discussions.

Most of the site seems to like the Not Cool reaction. I'm not a fan of it myself. While I could just get rid of it, I try to take into consideration what the community wants. 

Maybe in the future. 

• Like 2

One problem is the some fans get upset if you say ANYTHING negative about something they like. If you say "I think film X is not a good movie" they jump all over you.

They also get angry if you think filM is not going to do very well at the box office.

Some interpret anything critical of a movie or franchise they like as being Trolling.

And if this site to become a site where nothing critical can be said about a movie because it might offend one of the more sensative fanboys, it is going to become a very boring forum.

I suspect this might because  people come here from the fan forums where any critical opinions are generally  driven off, and are simply not used to people saying the Franchise X is the not the greatest thing ever.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 1
3 hours ago, Walt Disney said:

My one suggestion would be to get rid of the “not cool” emoji because it has become a tool to troll posters. If someone disagrees with a post, then let them respond. Being able to just vote down unpopular opinions doesn’t encourage productive discussions.

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOO so now just not agreeing with something someone says is trolling?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 1

9 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOO so now just not agreeing with something someone says is trolling?

He's saying giving a simple not cool reaction is lazy and not conducive to productive discussions. Makes sense to me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I enjoy how people here appear to be under the assumption that their terrible comic book takes need to go somewhere in this forum, as if the world wouldn't be a significantly nicer place if you kept all your 'DC/Marvel/Star Wars is worse than cancer!!!' takes to yourself. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, JB33 said:

He's saying giving a simple not cool reaction is lazy and not conducive to productive discussions. Makes sense to me. 

You guys really want to have your cake and eat it.. you can’t handle people disagreeing with you in words and now you can’t handle emojis disagreeing with you.. how do you manage real life people disagreeing with you? 

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 2

4 hours ago, Ninenin said:

So is this place basically an extension of the IMDB forums?

In some ways, the worst threads in the IMDB forums.

If you kept, like I did, to the box office forums and the Classic movie sections of IMDB you had a lot of good discussion.

It was the the general forums and the specific films forms where it got toxic.

• Like 1

A lot of the problems this forum has would be solved if people would simply agree to disagree.

I also think the Mods need to set an example; I say this because last week one of the mods..I won't name names ….got into a yelling match with other users over politics. Mods needs to refrain from that'no one likes the "do as I say, not as I do" attitude.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, dudalb said:

A lot of the problems this forum has would be solved if people would simply agree to disagree.

I also think the Mods need to set an example; I say this because last week one of the mods..I won't name names ….got into a yelling match with other users over politics. Mods needs to refrain from that'no one likes the "do as I say, not as I do" attitude.

It's okay to say my name.

And yeah, I'm not "agreeing to disagreeing" over someone's politics if said politics legit harm people, and their only answer is a bunch of "look at this inoffensive thing the other side did". But we're going off topic. Let's cut things out for now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, Eric the Hedgehog said:

It's okay to say my name.

And yeah, I'm not "agreeing to disagreeing"

But that's the whole point of agreeing to disagree.  You state the certainty that the other poster will never convince you, but you also give up the desire to convince the other poster.  It's what ends conflict without declaration of winners and losers.  If you can't end a conflict without naming winners and losers, you'll never end the conflict and it will continue to escalate and to get uglier.

If you'd like better terms than "agree to disagree", you can call a detente, a truce, whatever works for you.  But if a mod himself doesn't see the wisdom of encouraging "detente/truce/agreement to disagree" on a discussion board over any topic, that's gonna be more of a problem than the fanboy thread ever was.

I mean, we're a worldwide board with worldwide thinkers of varying ages/cultures/religions/experiences/incomes/educations.  There can and never will be 100% unanimity of agreement on pretty much anything, even the color of the sky:).

PS - I don't think the other poster was referring to you, since I walked into in that discussion.  

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

My point is if you get into arguments and you are a mod that is going to hurt your creditbility. If you have to ban or suspend a member whom you have been an argument, even if you are 100% justified in your action, people are going to suspect you did it because of the argument.

• Astonished 1
9 hours ago, Ninenin said:

So is this place basically an extension of the IMDB forums?

That, sir, is a insult. I dont think this forum has gotten that bad yet. Maybe if we didnt have good mods lol. But that place was a fucking cesspool. 

• Like 1

I just got warning points for a harmless joke about some piece of shit razzie award. It is well documented that (apparently I cant mention the movie) was criticized for mass destruction and disregard for fictional lives..so of course a award that is called that would be funny as hell to be called a  (apparently I cant mention the movie) award. Like MTV having the Michael Jackson vanguard award. That post was in no way insulting to that film(and if it was...who cares?! ITS JUST A MOVIE!) Or its fans. 

I dont care about the points and I will continue to make corny jokes when I want.  I will not censor myself to protect your precious feelings for a movie made for children.🙄...oh wait  I guess I have to cause I got a warning point for mentioning a movies fans...not who they are or even anyone specifically...just that a movie has fans at all with attitudes that are shall we say not well adjusted.

Edited to add..Let's hope I dont get warning points for calling the razzies a piece of shit award. We might have some razzie fan boys lurking here.

Edited by eddyxx
  • Knock It Off 1

On 2/8/2020 at 7:02 PM, VENOM said:

It was all going so well until certain theme park franchises started getting the most gunfire then it became a problem.. maybe it’s time for some people to step down from their position of power if they can’t appropriately handle fire at those franchises they like when the shoe is on the other foot.. 

I find it funny I was thread-banned from the Star Wars threads for spreading news Rise of the skywalker went through extensive reshoots in November and now it’s clear it did but no repercussions for those responsible for that decision

I got points for making a joke about theme parks in the black widow thread a few months ago and I'm clearly a fan of marvel movies (but not just those to be fair). For the most part I agree with mod decisions but you guys jump the gun sometimes. If I post in a marvel thread that marvel movies are large budget tv shows will I get points for that also?

Wait no. Actually I got thread banned from the black widow thread.

Edited by eddyxx

On 2/8/2020 at 5:38 PM, grey ghost said:

I got points for saying the anti-woke movement hurt TLJ.

Basically it was a debate whether the anti-woke movement would hurt BOP.

On 2/8/2020 at 7:02 PM, VENOM said:

I find it funny I was thread-banned from the Star Wars threads for spreading news Rise of the skywalker went through extensive reshoots in November and now it’s clear it did but no repercussions for those responsible for that decision

13 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I got points for making a joke about theme parks in the black widow thread a few months ago and I'm clearly a fan of marvel movies (but not just those to be fair). For the most part I agree with mod decisions but you guys jump the gun sometimes. If I post in a marvel thread that marvel movies are large budget tv shows will I get points for that also?

Wait no. Actually I got thread banned from the black widow thread.

39 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I just got warning points for a harmless joke about some piece of shit razzie award. It is well documented that (apparently I cant mention the movie) was criticized for mass destruction and disregard for fictional lives..so of course a award that is called that would be funny as hell to be called a  (apparently I cant mention the movie) award. Like MTV having the Michael Jackson vanguard award. That post was in no way insulting to that film(and if it was...who cares?! ITS JUST A MOVIE!) Or its fans. 

On 2/8/2020 at 6:25 PM, Firepower said:

I was threadbanned from BoP thread when I said it'll get at least 80+% on RT no matter if it's good or bad. Well, it got 80+% and I don't see much excitement about it.

And I don't need to bring my story up again. I do hope the staff can see this and consider that perhaps, as a whole, as eddyxx put it, you guys jump the gun sometimes...

To the people I quoted, I'm curious, did you get further explanation on what specifically you did wrong?

Edited by OncomingStorm93
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

20 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

And I don't need to bring my story up again. I do hope the staff can see this and consider that perhaps, as a whole, as eddyxx put it, you guys jump the gun sometimes...

To the people I quoted, I'm curious, did you get further explanation on what specifically you did wrong?

I have nothing to do with eddyxx's warnings or bans. And trust me, I did not like how Grim ghosted you for months. But let me go through the other ones for you.

With grey ghost, surely you know at this point how toxic The Last Jedi is here. With just one mention, you will have people debatin the merits of Star Wars, how it is a disgrace to cinema, and several posters chiming in to support conspiracy theories. I had to stop this early, because it was going to make the thread miserable for everyone who just wanted to talk about Birds of Prey. Now I'll fully admit, giving grey ghost points was harsh in hindsight, and I sincerely apologize to him. He simply didn't know, and it's entirely my fault. But if I didn't "jump the gun", things were gonna get ugly. Trust me, I know how this forum works.

As for Firepower, I've known him long enough to know his dogwhistles, and how he will often derail threads to complain about "woke US critics" and "filmtwitter", making threads toxic and unpleasant to read. Him going "it'll get 80+ no matter what" is basically just another form of that kind of behavior (Firepower, don't you fucking dare start that again). It was going to get ugly and misogynistic fast. I don't these forums to be unpleasant to read through, and again, I knew what was gonna happen if I let him continue. He's shown no signs of changing or acting better, so why should I expect things to get better?

As for VENOM...we gave him a chance. He randomly went into the TROS thread stating it was gonna get 75% reshot, first saying he knew someone working on it. Then he changed things up by saying it was already being reported on by other news sites. When people called him out, asking for reciepts, but put out this dodgy excuse of "you already know it's out there, go look it up", not even bothering to give out a source when people asked him to. All it seemed like to me was him making stuff up and trying to make people angry. We gave him all the chances he needed, and when he wasn't cooperating and making things even more miserable, we had to threadban him. Besides, the man's a bully anyways. It's really a bad idea to defend him.

Regardless, with all those options, the important thing between all of them was because I, and the staff, knew what was going to happen. We've been on this website long enough to know the patterns, know who likes to push people's buttons, and knows who is just here to make this place unpleasant for everyone else. We fully support controversial statements and arguments. But we know when people are just here to make it miserable for everyone else or when things are about to go out of control. And sometimes, it's best to just jump the gun and stop something bad from turning into something worse.

I get that you're upset over grim and the rest of the staff. Trust me, we're completely in the wrong for what we did to you. But please at least try to understand at least my reasonings here

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Imagine if the house of commons banned people from heated debates, there would only be one guy in the room lol. Debates make interesting convos and sometimes they get heated, that's normal, don't turn the site into fox news, differing opinions make interesting conversations 

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Just take out the not cool reactions

Im already seeing multiple on this page alone

Oh yeah i got one 😂

Why not change the 'not cool' emoji to a thumbs up so every poster who's used it gets trolled

Edited by Ninenin
  • Like 1