Jake Gittes

BOT's Top 100 Films of the 2010s: The Countdown | List complete

I expected a lot of these films in the 30s to place higher. Some because they are great films that a lot of people love (CMBYN, Manchester by the Sea) and others because they are just extremely popular (the Avengers movies and TFA).

Manchester By the Sea was #5 on my list. Movies in my top 12 that still haven't made the list: Fury Road, Her, Anomalisa (doubt it's getting in), Silence, Boyhood, Magic Mike XXL (won't get in either), They Shall Not Grow Old (again, probably not getting in).

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I expected a lot of these films in the 30s to place higher. Some because they are great films that a lot of people love (CMBYN, Manchester by the Sea) and others because they are just extremely popular (the Avengers movies and TFA).

Manchester By the Sea was #5 on my list. Movies in my top 12 that still haven't made the list: Fury Road, Her, Anomalisa (doubt it's getting in), Silence, Boyhood, Magic Mike XXL (won't get in either), They Shall Not Grow Old (again, probably not getting in), and Tree of Life 

Edit: I feel like Her, Boyhood and Tree of Life already made the list but I'm having a hard time finding them.

Thank God for that.

Boyhood will be top 20.

• ...wtf 1

9 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Number 37

Hide contents

fUXzGkf.jpg

"Hey, Mom, did you feel emotional the first time that you drove in Sacramento?"
261 points, 24 lists

directed by Greta Gerwig | US | 2017

The Pitch: A teenage girl goes through her senior year of high school in early 2000s Sacramento, California.

#1 Placements: 1
Top 12 Placements: 1
Metacritic: 94
Box Office: $79m WW
Awards: 5 Academy Award nominations
BOT History: #8, Top Movies of 2017; BOFFY awards for Best Actress and Supporting Actress

Critic Opinion: "Gerwig doesn’t trap her protagonist in the oblivious underage bubble that most coming-of-age dramedies inhabit; Lady Bird’s parents, played by Tracy Letts and Laurie Metcalf, are fully formed humans with their own deep flaws and vulnerabilities." - Leah Greenblatt, Entertainment Weekly
BOT Sez: “I loved the theme of yearning for escape that's present in the film, and how each event in Christine's life almost feels like it's stockpiling, until she finally escapes (or literally 'flies away' in a plane) and realizing how much of the youthful entrapment was built up inside her own mind.  It's one of the more honest coming of age films I've seen, and you can tell a lot of that is Gerwig's heart and memory toward her own youth.  With its setting in 2002-2003, and the fact Gerwig grew up in Sacramento, you can tell it's a fictional telling of her own story (which is what makes it so great).” - @The Panda
"'Did you get emotional  the first time you drove through Sacramento?' should be a line that goes down in cinema history” - @Ethan Hunt
"Going in mostly blind, and walking out, I now know why Ethan and the teenagers specifically are nutting over this movie." - @MrPink

Commentary: Our second female-directed 2017 film of the day is Greta Gerwig's debut as a solo writer and director. A semi-autobiographical coming-of-age dramedy that served up 90 minutes' worth of sharp observation and character detail, it established Gerwig immediately as a filmmaker to reckon with, gave Saoirse Ronan and veteran character actress Laurie Metcalf a showcase each, and found in a certain teenage BOT member someone to call it his favorite movie of the 2010s.

Lady-Bird.jpg

Lady Bird is the mediocre version of Frances Ha.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I hven;t really been here much lately.  I'm going to spend some time, read this thread and pretend like it's 2015 again...that just means I'll be here a lot today.  It's my day off, so where better to spend it than here?

• Like 2

Infinity War was robbed.

It's not a good blockbuster. It's a great blockbuster.

One might even say a bonafide classic of the genre.

The decade long build up. The unprecedented ending. Thanos as the main character. The hopelessness conveyed throughout the movie despite being a popcorn movie.

It's a special film.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 1

And here we go

First thing I get to bitch about is how could Argo not make the top 100?  That just seems ridiculous.

Would have been nice to see American Honey make the list, but it got close so that's a good thing.

• Like 1

Dangal:  never got around to seeing it...heard really good things.  

Bridge of Spies was good, niothing amazing imo, this placement seems about right.

Silver Linings Playbook coming in this low is very very very disappointing to me.  It's one of my faves of the decade.  If I had submitted a list (shame on me) it would have been top ten.

Birdman would have been much higher as well.

Not sure how I feel about John Wick being this low.  On one hand, it is in the top 100, on the other, I enjoyed it so much that I think maybe it should be higher.

Potter,any of them, wouldn't come close to my list, but having said that, I think Potter ranking so low has more to do with it being out of the public consciousness for so long.  If it had come out last year, it might have been top 25.

Uncle Drew is a horrible piece of shit.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Anyway I wonder how this list would compare to a 2000-2009 list or a 90's list.

I think the 90's list would be absolutely incredible and blow the other two out the water.

i think we might have already done those. idk it's hard to keep track of all the lists. i know there was a 70s list a couple months ago.

I think the 50s would be fun.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Infinity War and Endgame are solid, entertaining, engaging movies that were cinema events.

But let's not blow things out of proportion

Infinity War was more than solid.

I wouldn't put Endgame on the same level.

The way the story is told from Thanos' perspective was perfect.

I dunno. I guess you need to be invested in the MCU to fully appreciate Infinity War but when I watch it, it feels different from most superhero and popcorn movies.

Even from something like Endgame.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think we might have already done those. idk it's hard to keep track of all the lists. i know there was a 70s list a couple months ago.

I think the 50s would be fun.

Some heroic box office nerd should dig up the list so we can actually compare them.