BOT's Top 100 Films of the 2010s: The Countdown | List complete

9 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Number 7

Hide contents

pwkdK8d.jpg

"Despite knowing the journey... and where it leads... I embrace it."
556 points, 34 lists

directed by Denis Villeneuve | US | 2016

The Pitch: A linguist is enlisted to establish communication with aliens who have arrived on Earth.

#1 Placements: 1
Top 5 Placements: 5
Top 12 Placements: 6
Metacritic: 81
Box Office: $203m WW
Awards: Academy Award for Best Sound Editing, out of 8 nominations; Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation
BOT History: #1, Top Movies of 2016; #11, Top 100 Sci-Fi Movies of All Time (2020); 5 BOFFY awards, including Best Actress and Adapted Screenplay, out of 9 nominations
Critic Opinion: “Arrival is a beautifully polished puzzle box of a story whose emotional and cerebral heft should enable it to withstand nit-picky scrutiny. And like all the best sci-fi, it has something pertinent to say about today’s world; particularly about the importance of communication, and how we need to transcend cultural divides and misconceptions if we’re to survive as a species.” - Dan Jolin, Empire
BOT Sez: “So much of the film is based on the framework of how people perceive the world, and thus communicate.  How people with different mental frameworks trying to communicate leads misunderstanding.  How communicating is more than just sentences in grammar, but it's using empathy and changing your own personal mental framework in order to understand where another is coming from.
I think that was the point of the time plot in the movie.  It is structured to make you initially think of it being a flashback, because that's how your mental framework is.  The movie miscommunicates to you, to lead you to a false conclusion, until near the end where it reveals the time twist.  When this is revealed, your mental framework changes and you receive the message the movie was intending to send at the beginning.  Hence, even the structure of the film itself is used to drive forward the thought of a lack of human communication and pursuit to understand each other is what dooms humanity.” - @The Panda
“It fucking blew my balls off” - @Ethan Hunt
Commentary: The first and, so far, BOT's favorite of Denis Villeneuve's forays into science-fiction. An unusually contemplative, idea-driven example of the genre to get a mid-range budget and a wide multiplex run, it carved out a solid space for itself both in theaters and at awards shows during 2016's busy holiday season, with Villeneuve demonstrating his ability to work a much less dark and oppressive subject matter than usual even if his style remained more or less the same.

Screen-Shot-2016-11-29-at-12.22.45-PM-14

I love how the User Reviews are a quote from maybe one of the most thoughtful reviews I've written for a movie and "It fucking blew my balls off" right on top of each other.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I love how the User Reviews are a quote from maybe one of the most thoughtful reviews I've written for a movie and "It fucking blew my balls off" right on top of each other.

We're all about the variety of perspectives here

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Number 6

Spoiler

FBmiaNd.jpg

"It always fits. Eventually."
558 points, 31 lists

directed by Bob Persichetti & Peter Ramsey & Rodney Rothman | US | 2018

The Pitch: Teenage Miles Morales becomes the Spider-man of his reality and teams up with his multiverse counterparts to save New York City from Kingpin.

#1 Placements: 2
Top 5 Placements: 2
Top 12 Placements: 10
Metacritic: 87
Box Office: $375m WW
Awards: Academy Award for Best Animated Feature; 7 Annie Awards; Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation
BOT History: #4, Top Movies of 2018; #2, Top Comic Book Movies of All Time (2019); 7 BOFFY Awards including Best Picture
Critic Opinion: “There’s a breathless sense of discovery and play that makes the film seem new, even as it’s tap-dancing through the imprints of so many sci-fi stories throughout the years. Simply put, superhero movies don’t often carry this sense of possibility anymore.” - Dominick Suzanne-Mayer, Consequence of Sound
Spider-Verse doesn’t reinvent the wheel, and a lot of the narrative beats are gussied-up versions of standard superhero plotting. There are betrayals, obvious reveals, end-of-the-world stakes, and a capital-B Big climax that simultaneously ties up the plot and pays off the established character arcs and themes. Yet, Spider-Verse imbues the familiar with infectious cheer and plays off the audience’s knowledge of Spider-Man/genre tropes without playing Deadpool’s snark-the-reference game. It helps that Lord and Rothman’s confident, fast-paced script eschews any and all unnecessary exposition, foregrounds jokes, and takes seriously the sincere emotional underpinnings of the Spider-Man story without devolving into saccharine nonsense. [...] The main attraction, however, is Spider-Verse’s animation, which immerses you in a dazzling comic-book aesthetic inspired by the work of many artists over Spider-Man’s five-decade history, including and especially Sara Pichelli, who co-created the Morales character in 2011. Employing 142 animators, the largest crew ever used by Sony Animation, Spider-Verse combines computer animation with traditional line-drawing techniques to engender the feeling of a three-dimensional comic book. This would be an achievement unto itself, but Persichetti/Ramsey/Rothman never once sacrifice spectacle for coherency, choreographing action sequences within the layers of effects and color work. In every single frame, Spider-Verse proves once and for all that animation remains the best medium for superhero films, as the mutable style best fits the source material’s fantastical nature.” - Vikram Murthi, The Film Stage
BOT Sez: “Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse may legitimately be one of the most well-constructed stories I've seen in a long time. Seriously, I was amazed at how well almost every single detail of this movie was constructed to help push the main story of this film. And I mean every single detail. Every line, every visual cue and theme, even the music, all worked to support this story and message and it all came together perfectly for what was arguably the strongest payoff in any movie I saw this year.” - @rukaio101
“This film wakes me up. Even when I watch it while wiped out from a long day of work, I find myself with a few tears in my eyes and a huge smile for a majority of the runtime. It’s pure magic. It distills just what we love about superheroes so precisely and with such visual and storytelling panache that it may have very well killed the genre for me. Who cares about another fun-yet-empty installment in a neverending cinematic universe when I can just rewatch this and get the mythic storytelling these modern icons deserve, with better quips and action sequences than most of the competition? Still an absolute masterpiece.” - @Blankments
“I laughed every time Kingpin appeared on screen. Dude looks like a buff, 10-foot tall Gru lmao” - @Eric Atreides
Commentary: One of the 2010s' biggest unexpected delights, the 7th Spider-Man film in 16 years that became the freshest and most invigorating since at least Sam Raimi's 2002 original, if not ever. Taking an all-inclusive approach to the onscreen Spidey's identity and combining producers' Phil Lord and Christopher Miller's familiar, ever-refined balance of humor and respect with a dazzling visual style that actually looked like a comic book come to life, it may not have come close to the live-action Spider-Man movies' box office heights but made a massive impact anyway, actually demonstrating a possible stylistic way forward for the superhero movie. 

spider-verse-costumes.jpg

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 3

Number 5

Spoiler

x0wJNwu.gif

"Hold my nuts."

569 points, 48 lists

directed by (honestly dunno tbh) | US | 2018

The Pitch: Kyrie Irving is an old man who needs his nuts to be held.

Metacritic: 57

Box Office: $46.7m WW

Awards: Shortlisted for Best Comedy Movie of 2018 by the People's Choice Awards.

BOT History: Some of the questions on Week 10 of the 2018 Summer Game were based around Uncle Drew.

Critic Opinion: " Basketball players pretend to be old people for 2 hours. Aside from a few quips, that's the whole joke. Oh, and plenty of product placements. " - Matthew Lee, HeyUGuys

BOT Sez: "9.5/10

The only thing I didn't like was the stupid John Calipari cameo warning talking about Uncle Drew.  C'mon man. It was wearing a very weird cameo and at first I thought it was Mike D'Antoni lol.

Otherwise it was legit awesome. The story is actually very simple and easy to follow. Kyrie Irving was great. Lisa Leslie has the best entrance ever for a WNBA story. Troll Nick Kroll breathes life into this movie. He is very, very good. The battle between the two teams at the is quite cool. The re-emergence of Nate Robinson is the stuff of legends. I cried. Fantastic. Perfect moment.

Also liked the Steve Nash, David  Robinson,  and Dikembe Motumbo  cameos from the interviews. Shaq looks like fucking Wolverine lmao.

The crowd seemed into it a lot. Cheers and applauses when Kyrie Irving threw up an alley oop to Shaq. Laughs at the right moments as well (Troll Kroll gets a few, and there is a legit hilarious moment involving Chris Webber and Lisa Leslie hat got the biggest laughs from the audience). And when I cried, there were a few people crying as well. Brutal dead silence in that scene. It gave me chills.

This movie was what my dreams were all about. I loved it and can't wait to see it again.

Critics can suck my dick for all I care.

All Hail GOD CHARLES STONE III." - @CJohn

Commentary: In the words of LeBron James, "not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, not six...," with these numbers of course referring to how Uncle Drew has legitimately made the list for a third (and possibly not the final?) time. Comedy is a hard one to balance but Kyrie Irving's chops have given it an enduring legacy on this list, as reflected by how the people of BOT could simply could not stop putting on their lists. While it may not take the top honours as our favourite film of the 2010's, a top five berth (alongside 33rd and 90-somethingth) proves that this film has truly found a place within all of our nuts.

iYTRzRG.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5
  • Astonished 5
  • Sad 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, aabattery said:

Number 5

Reveal hidden contents

DEEZ NUTS CANT BE CONTAINED

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

Number 5

Hide contents

x0wJNwu.gif

"Hold my nuts."

569 points, 48 lists

directed by (honestly dunno tbh) | US | 2018

The Pitch: Kyrie Irving is an old man who needs his nuts to be held.

Metacritic: 57

Box Office: $46.7m WW

Awards: Shortlisted for Best Comedy Movie of 2018 by the People's Choice Awards.

BOT History: Some of the questions on Week 10 of the 2018 Summer Game were based around Uncle Drew.

Critic Opinion: " Basketball players pretend to be old people for 2 hours. Aside from a few quips, that's the whole joke. Oh, and plenty of product placements. " - Matthew Lee, HeyUGuys

BOT Sez: "9.5/10

The only thing I didn't like was the stupid John Calipari cameo warning talking about Uncle Drew.  C'mon man. It was wearing a very weird cameo and at first I thought it was Mike D'Antoni lol.

Otherwise it was legit awesome. The story is actually very simple and easy to follow. Kyrie Irving was great. Lisa Leslie has the best entrance ever for a WNBA story. Troll Nick Kroll breathes life into this movie. He is very, very good. The battle between the two teams at the is quite cool. The re-emergence of Nate Robinson is the stuff of legends. I cried. Fantastic. Perfect moment.

Also liked the Steve Nash, David  Robinson,  and Dikembe Motumbo  cameos from the interviews. Shaq looks like fucking Wolverine lmao.

The crowd seemed into it a lot. Cheers and applauses when Kyrie Irving threw up an alley oop to Shaq. Laughs at the right moments as well (Troll Kroll gets a few, and there is a legit hilarious moment involving Chris Webber and Lisa Leslie hat got the biggest laughs from the audience). And when I cried, there were a few people crying as well. Brutal dead silence in that scene. It gave me chills.

This movie was what my dreams were all about. I loved it and can't wait to see it again.

Critics can suck my dick for all I care.

All Hail GOD CHARLES STONE III." - @CJohn

Commentary: In the words of LeBron James, "not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, not six...," with these numbers of course referring to how Uncle Drew has legitimately made the list for a third (and possibly not the final?) time. Comedy is a hard one to balance but Kyrie Irving's chops have given it an enduring legacy on this list, as reflected by how the people of BOT could simply could not stop putting on their lists. While it may not take the top honours as our favourite film of the 2010's, a top five berth (alongside 33rd and 90-somethingth) proves that this film has truly found a place within all of our nuts.

iYTRzRG.gif

source.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Disbelief 1

Number 5

Spoiler

0QxUmx9.jpg

"Take her to the moon for me, okay?"
591 points, 32 lists

directed by Pete Docter & Ronnie del Carmen | US | 2015

The Pitch: Inside the mind of a teenage girl, five personified emotions attempt to guide her through life as she moves to a different city.

#1 Placements: 2
Top 5 Placements: 3
Top 12 Placements: 7
Metacritic: 94
Box Office: $857m WW
Awards: Academy Award for Best Animated Feature; 10 Annie Awards
BOT History: #3, Top Movies of 2015; #1 (2016), #1 (2018), Top Animated Movies of All Time; #40 (2016), #20 (2018), Top 100 Movies of All Time; 5 BOFFY awards, including Best Picture and Original Screenplay, out of 12 nominations
Critic Opinion: “While other Pixar productions like the Toy Story movies, Monsters, Inc., and Up (the latter two directed by Docter) have stood out in a crowded animation field for their innovative ideas, what really distinguishes Pixar films is the way they take surprising narrative risks and dig deeply into painful emotions that most kid-friendly films strive to avoid. Inside Out does it more literally than other Pixar films, but it does it magnificently. There are endless comedic possibilities in the scenario of five demanding emotions fighting for dominance, and the film periodically toys with those possibilities to lighten the mood. But mostly, it uses the setup to explore why emotions exist, how they change as people grow up, and how a simple surface reaction might come from complicated inner conflict. [...] Like so many Pixar films, Inside Out uses a rambunctious, chaotic adventure to shape a story about growing maturity and understanding. In a deeply evocative way, it’s about coming to terms with sadness (or in this case, Sadness) and still moving forward. And it draws on recognizable, relatable experiences and feelings cleverly, in a way that isn’t entirely tied to a single age or experience. Pixar vets will remember the profound emotions brought up by the opening sequences of Up, the final scenes of Toy Story 3 and Monsters, Inc., and so many other watershed moments in the company’s library of films. Inside Out not only evokes that profundity of emotion, it does it with emotions capable of examining their own response. The emotional control room isn’t a new idea. Inside Out just manages the most ambitious and expressive version of that idea to date.” - Tasha Robinson, The Dissolve
BOT Sez: “This is one of the most superlative animated films I know of. Nearly everything here works amazingly. All of these characters are given full stories and their actions all make sense, while the lack of a villain in the movie is something so rare in tentpole animated films, yet the film has a stronger sense of conflict than so many other films. I ended up caring for the wellbeing of one young girl more than the possible destruction of cities in your typical summer blockbuster. Even some of Disgust, Fear, and Anger's decisions work because they ultimately want what's best for Riley, and all of the emotions really do care not just for Riley, but for one another. Joy gets not only one of the best character arcs in Pixar History, but cherishes every bit of power Amy Poehler gives to her role. Sadness goes without saying, and Bing Bong was another obvious standout who becomes way more unexpected and nuanced a character than I thought going into this film.” - @Spaghetti

"Joy is a fucking monster in Inside out. She's so ridiculously mean. She is a fucking bully" - @Ethan Hunt

Commentary: Our first top 5 finalist is BOT's favorite animated movie. Successfully executing one of Pixar's more high-concept premises, Pete Docter's third feature solidified him as the studio's most imaginative and consistent voice and somewhat unexpectedly became its most successful original film unadjusted for inflation. It's also the highest grossing release in our top 10.

InsideOut2.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 3
  • ...wtf 1