Jake Gittes

BOT's Top 100 Films of the 2010s: The Countdown | List complete

18 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Number 41

Reveal hidden contents

hell-or-high-water.gif?w=392&h=196

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Seems like Dangal will be only Indian film as I don't see any other Indian film making as high as Top 40. Which is sad because I don't think I will have Dangal in my Top 40 Indian films in 2010s.

Did you send your list for Top 100? 

28 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Seems like Dangal will be only Indian film as I don't see any other Indian film making as high as Top 40. Which is sad because I don't think I will have Dangal in my Top 40 Indian films in 2010s.

Do a Bollywood/Indian List for us plebs.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Number 47

LhlycKE.jpg

Commentary: Our highest-ranking 2011 film! 

As it should. 2011 was easily the decade's weakest year in terms of film but A Separation stood head and shoulders above the BP nominees of the year (so this means The Artist and The Descendants got shut out altogether? I can vibe with that. Also, looks like nobody, including me, remembered The Help).

Wish this had pulled a Parasite 8 years early and taken home the BP crown but I guess it was way too early and the then make-up of the Academy wouldn't have allowed it anyway.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Number 49

Reveal hidden contents

Never forget Bradley Cooper still has rights goddamit.

Edited by Joel M
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

As it should. 2011 was easily the decade's weakest year in terms of film but A Separation stood head and shoulders above the BP nominees of the year (so this means The Artist and The Descendants got shut out altogether? I can vibe with that. Also, looks like nobody, including me, remembered The Help).

Wish this had pulled a Parasite 8 years early and taken home the BP crown but I guess it was way too early and the then make-up of the Academy wouldn't have allowed it anyway.

I had 13 or 14 films from 2011 on my own list, I think it can make a claim for being the strongest - it was just not great for high-profile mainstream wide release stuff. But at/outside those margins there are a lot of excellent movies that deserve to be (re)discovered - this, Margaret, House of Tolerance, The Deep Blue Sea, the original Miss Bala, Don't Go Breaking My Heart, Weekend, etc.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

That Tree of Life erasure tho

Also to add onto @Jake Gittes's list of great 2011 movies, I also thought Drive, Rango, The Raid, Midnight in Paris, Warrior, Shame, Attack the Block, Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, We Need to Talk about Kevin, Carnage, Cabin in the Woods were great films. Good year for blockbusters too (Captain America, Mission Impossible 4, Fast and Furious 5, Transformers 3, Rise of the Planet of the Apes were all imo the best films in their respective franchises at that time).

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 3

Stats after #100-41

Yearly breakdown: 2011 (5), 2012 (7), 2013 (6), 2014 (8), 2015 (6), 2016 (8), 2017 (5), 2018 (8), 2019 (7)

Directors with multiple films on the list: Paul Thomas Anderson (2); Barry Jenkins (2)Sam Mendes (2); Quentin Tarantino (2)

Actors with multiple characters on the list: Brad Pitt (5); Chris Pratt (4); Jessica Chastain (3); Bradley Cooper (3); Robert De Niro (3); Philip Seymour Hoffman (3); Octavia Spencer (3); Cate Blanchett (2); Emily Blunt (2); Kyle Chandler (2); Jason Clarke (2); Tom Cruise (2); Benedict Cumberbatch (2)Willem Dafoe (2); Benicio del Toro (2); Laura Dern (2); Leonardo DiCaprio (2)Adam Driver (2); Chiwetel Ejiofor (2); Idris Elba (2); Chris Evans (2); Ben Foster (2); Brendan Gleeson (2); Sally Hawkins (2); Brian Tyree Henry (2); Jonah Hill (2);  John Hurt (2); Marin Ireland (2); Samuel L. Jackson (2); Scarlett Johansson (2); Daniel Kaluuya (2)Brie Larson (2); Jennifer Lawrence (2); Rami Malek (2)Lupita Nyong'o (2); Sarah Paulson (2); Joaquin Phoenix (2); Amy Ryan (2); Andy Serkis (2);  Cobie Smulders (2); Imelda Staunton (2); Emma Stone (2); Ben Whishaw (2); Forest Whitaker (2)

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1