• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Number 61

Hide contents

OWbRROY.jpg

"Is it just me or it's getting crazier out there?"

199 points, 12 lists

directed by Todd Phillips | US | 2019

The Pitch: A failed, victimized stand-up comedian descends into madness in 1981 Gotham City.

Top 5 Placements: 2

Top 12 Placements: 5

Some members of BOT live in their own society

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Some members of BOT live in their own society

Four of the lists I received came from people who have never posted anything, they strictly lurk. (Hey guys!) They all had Joker in their top 10.

They are out there.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

11 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Number 66

Reveal hidden contents

11 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Number 65

Reveal hidden contents

#1 Placements: 1
Top 12 Placements: 2
Metacritic: 69
Box Office: $1.519 billion WW
Awards: Academy Award nomination for Best Visual Effects; 4 Saturn Awards
BOT History: #8, Top Movies of 2012; #3, Top Movies of 2012 Revisited (2017); #8, Top Comic Book Movies of All Time (2019); 2 BOFFY nominations
Critic Opinion: "Like a superior, state-of-the-art model built from reconstituted parts, Joss Whedon's buoyant, witty and robustly entertaining superhero smash-up is escapism of a sophisticated order, boasting a tonal assurance and rich reserves of humor that offset the potentially lumbering and unavoidably formulaic aspects of this 143-minute team-origin story." - Justin Chang, Variety
BOT Sez: "One of the most fun and rewatchable blockbusters of all time. The humor, the action, the group dynamics, all the seamless introductions, the gloriously petty villain, coulson's death, nothing gets old in this movie despite the bajilion superhero movies that followed since. There's a weird alchemy going on here, everything fell in its right place in a way that's impossible to replicate. I'll never get bored of it. The avengers assemble 360 alone, is one of the most iconic shots of 21st century cinema." - @Joel M
Commentary: The movie that first demonstrated what a powerhouse Marvel and its cinematic-universe strategy could be, although 8 years on it ironically already feels like more of an exception than the norm for the studio, being a film written and directed by a single person with a readily identifiable voice. Much of the scoring process suggested that it would in fact miss the list entirely, with it attracting much less love than the more recent Avengers installments, but in the end it surged forward after collecting 2/3 of its eventual points from the last five lists it appeared on.

f732fa_be9376b988e14ee69664ec9ded745b34~

24539660-7985629-image-a-131_15813215315

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Stats after #100-61

Yearly breakdown: 2011 (3), 2012 (5), 2013 (5), 2014 (5), 2015 (5), 2016 (5), 2017 (2), 2018 (4), 2019 (6)

Directors with multiple films on the list: Sam Mendes (2)

Actors with multiple characters on the list: Robert De Niro (3); Brad Pitt (3); Octavia Spencer (3); Cate Blanchett (2); Emily Blunt (2); Kyle Chandler (2); Jessica Chastain (2); Jason Clarke (2); Tom Cruise (2)Idris Elba (2)Chris Evans (2); Brian Tyree Henry (2); John Hurt (2); Brie Larson (2); Jennifer Lawrence (2); Amy Ryan (2)

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The fact that the best Avengers movie is listed lower than the last two, worse Avengers movies (I'm assuming Age of Ultron hasn't made it in) shows how much recency bias has affected this list.

Funny, I thought I am the only one who likes the 1st one best. Didn’t like A2-4 to varying degrees. 

I am aware about its weaknesses, but still think it did manage things not done before and was in my POV the real start of the MCU.

(yes, Tele hates it I think, yes I understand that for especially someone with his profession, but to me its about other details)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

Funny, I thought I am the only one who likes the 1st one best. Didn’t like A2-4 to varying degrees. 

I am aware about its weaknesses, but still think it did manage things not done before and was in my POV the real start of the MCU.

(yes, Tele hates it I think, yes I understand that for especially someone with his profession, but to me its about other details)

First Avengers is definitely the best one, rewatchable as hell

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Only Lulu Wang and Kathryn Bigelow in the top 100 so far.

Think Greta Gerwig and maybe Céline Sciamma, Olivia Wilde or Debra Granik will also be in next but probably not much more 🤔

it'll just be Gerwig and Granik I think

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Considering that it's pretty much the only film in the whole quadrilogy that actually touches on themes of heroism, focuses on character dynamics rather than action, and has a genuinely meaningful death (Agent Coulson's death is still the most important death in the entire MCU even if he comes back in some TV show I don't care about), I'd say the first film is still the best. Age of Ultron also tries to be as ambitious and complex as the first film but failed because of studio meddling while the last two just had a lot of cool moments I guess.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Sciamma is getting in if Granik is. I think enough people on this forum have seen Portrait for the film to get in. It's at least more likely than Leave no Trace or Winter's Bone getting in.

Leave No Trace is WAY more likley ( in fact it's a 100% chance tbh)  to make it than Portrait of A Lady on Fire (which I don't see happening)

• Like 1