charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

Starting my halloween movie watches with The Empty Man. Super solid, probably the closest I can think of that an American horror film has come to replicating that unsettling Kiyoshi Kurosawa vibe. But unlike his films does overplay its hand a little more than i'd have preferred like the whole first twenty minutes that should've just been cut out imo.

Spooky month for me began with the Universal Monsters. Or at least the original films with the monsters everybody knows and associates them with. I'll do the sequels and Abbott Costello stuff next year. As a quick recap:

Hunchback of Notre Dame - Too many characters, but Lon Chaney's incredible. The make-up is truly incredible and he just sinks into the role.

Phantom of the Opera - Another beautiful film, helped by some great performances and a smart usage of visuals and dialogue for a silent film.

Dracula - The lack of music really does hurt a lot of the tension, but it is certainly pretty and the cast is great. Bela Lugosi just shines here.

Frankenstein - The best UM films are the ones where the monsters have a sense of tragedy to their characters, and this one does a really great job with it. The scene where the father's carrying his daughter is heartbreaking.

The Mummy - Like the sets and I like Boris Karloff. It was really cool.

The Invisible Man - So delightfully batty and hilarious, with some astonishing special effects. I have no idea how they pulled off the invisibility so well for a film almost 90 years old.

The Bride of Frankenstein - Far and away the best, tackling the morality and tragedy of Frankenstein's Monster with complexity, macabre, and a nice hint of camp. It's astonishing how good this is.

The Wolf Man - Love the morality, love Chaney Jr.'s progression, love the atmosphere and foggy sets. It's beautiful.

Creature from the Black Lagoon - Fun at points, but the moralities, gothic atmosphere, and chills are absent for a creature feature with stock characters. I know it was from a different era, but still a bit of a bummer either way.

Next up on the marathon list is the Scream movies. The first movie was utterly delightful. The dudes basically served as the blueprint for Twitter film bros and it's hilarious. Wes Craven really was a genius.

• Like 3

some horror movies i've watched for the first time over the last couple weeks 

Hellraiser 1 & 2 - loved the first one the second was mediocre, a bit of a rehash and explained the mythology too much. also when i was a kid i'd see pinhead on the cover of the VHS box in our house and think he was the scariest motherfucker that ever existed but he's a pussy. he lets the main girl talk him out of killing her in both movies and then she kicks his ass with a rubix cube. I could take this guy.

Mr. Vampire - 80s hong kong kung fu action flick with vampires and ghosts. everything i could want out of cinema. masterpiece.

The Night House - sort of over these "elevated horror that's all a metaphor for depression or whatever" flicks but rebecca hall killed in this probably my favourite performance of the year.

house on haunted hill - like the haunting but stupid. fun! 

trick 'r treat - loved the little pumpkin boy. probably not something that's gonna stick with me nothing else stood out much.

• Like 4

Didn't end up watching much horror this month, oh well:

1. Dead Silence 6/10 - James Wan's first attempt at pure camp b movie horror (ala Malignant). Consistently hilarious but clearly meddled with by the studio.
  2. Something's Gotta Give 8/10 - People weren't kidding about Nancy Meyer, pure comfort movie.
  3. Skyfall 8/10 - Some of the meta deconstruction stuff is eye rolling but what a handsomely crafted picture. I don't like it as much as eithers for Bond films but still really good.
  4. Venom 6/10
  5. Venom Let There Be Carnage 7/10
  6. Prisoners of the Ghostland 4/10 - Ugly and boring. Tries so hard to be "bonkers" and a new cult film. I love Cage but I'm tired of the Cage-rage meme. Bill Mosely steals the entire film.
  7. Death Sentence 7/10
  8. On Golden Pond 8/10 - 2 hours of 80 year old Henry Fonda fishing and getting his balls busted by Katherine Hepburn. A warm blanket of a film, wild to think it was the 2nd biggest film that year after Raiders.
  9. Spectre 5/10 - Continuity in Bond was a terrible idea, just because Judi Dench got a starring role in Skyfall doesn't mean M from now on needs to be a full character with subplots. Boring.
  10. No Time to Die (First watch) 5/10
  11. The Spy Who Loved Me 10/10 - Best Bond movie, palette cleanser after the disappointment of NTTD.
  12. Silence 9/10
  13. CODA 7/10 - Sweet and sincere but utterly generic.
  14. Kingdom of Heaven Directors Cut 10/10
  15. No Time to Die (Second watch) 7/10 
  16. Hugo 8/10
  17. 2001: A Space Odyssey 10/10 - On 70mm
  18. Halloween Kills 4/10
  19. The Last Duel 9/10
  20. Lawrence of Arabia 10/10 - On 70mm and with Denis Villeneuve in attendance (right behind me)
  21. Insidious 6/10
  22. Dune (1984) 7/10
  23. Insidious Chapter Two 5/10
  24. Elephant Man 9/10
  25. Dune 9/10
  26. Blue Velvet 10/10
  27. Wild at Heart 7/10
  28. 2010 6/10 - Doesn't compare to the first film obviously but a perfectly fine 80s scifi film, comes close to greatness but lacks that special something.
  29. The African Queen 8/10
  30. Easy Rider 9/10
  31. The Last Movie 8/10 - One of the most inventive and radical films I've seen. Dennis Hopper completely unhinged with a blank cheque from the studio after the success of Easy Rider. Absolutely gorgeous to look at too.
  32. Dune 9/10
  33. The Pink Panther Strikes Again 8/10
  34. It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown 10/10
  35. Dracula (1931) 8/10
  • Like 3

OCTOBER

It’s the spooky season! As I power my way through Blank Check I catch up on the Miyazaki films I haven’t seen which is clearly the perfecting pairing for all the horror I’ve been consuming. 

Movies

Kiki’s Delivery Service - 10/10 

Promising Young Woman - 9.5/10 - Carey Mulligan is unbelievable in this film, I'm ready to go on a Mulligan binge. Great soundtrack. Could not work out where it was headed, consistently surprising. 

Dune (2021) - 9/10 

Castle in the Sky - 9/10 

Frankenstein (1931) - 9/10 

Planet Terror - 8.5/10 - This is the Robert Rodriguez I need in my life. 

[Rec] - 8.5/10 

The Invisible Man (1933) - 8.5/10 

Last Night in Soho - 8.5/10

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind - 8.5/10

The Last Duel - 8/10

Porco Rosso - 8/10

No Time to Die - 8/10 

Dawn of the Dead (2004) - 8/10 

Death Proof - 8/10

The Omen (1976) - 8/10 

Werewolves Within - 7.5/10 - Best video game movie?

Batman: The Long Halloween Part 2 - 7.5/10

The Wolf Man (1941) - 7/10 

Speed Racer - 7/10 

Antlers - 7/10

Space Jam: A New Legacy - 7/10 - Way better than reviews would have you think. This is a solid kids film.

Batman: The Long Halloween Part 1 - 6.5/10

Ali - 6.5/10 

Don’t Breathe 2 - 6.5/10 

Old - 6/10

Halloween Kills - 6/10

Halloween III - 6/10 

Halloween II - 5/10 - Donald Pleasance is a child murdering madman in this film and I’m here for it. Was largely unimpressed with the rest of it.

Venom: Let There Be Carnage - 4/10 

Halloween IV - 3.5/10 

Infinite - 3/10 - Wahlberg is sleepwalking through this. 

Halloween V - 2/10 

Monster Hunter - 1.5/10 - God what an awful film. If you need to realign your perspective on what a genuinely bad blockbuster is this is the one to do it.

TV

Midnight Mass - 9/10 - Go in blind, so much more rewarding.

Squid Game - 8.5/10 

Star Wars: Visions - 7/10 

Y the Last Man - 6.5/10 - Literally decided to stop watching this the day before it got cancelled. It’s a perfectly fine, well made show but just couldn’t get invested.

Attack of the Hollywood Cliches! - 5/10

• Like 3

Still going through Star Trek: TOS which is still amazing. 

Also rewatching the Marvel Netflix shows since I never finished Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Jessica Jones. Daredevil S1 and Jessica Jones S1 are as good as I remember but man I don't remember Daredevil S2 being as big of a slog as I currently find it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Still going through Star Trek: TOS which is still amazing. 

Also rewatching the Marvel Netflix shows since I never finished Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Jessica Jones. Daredevil S1 and Jessica Jones S1 are as good as I remember but man I don't remember Daredevil S2 being as big of a slog as I currently find it.

The first 2 seasons of TOS are shockingly consistent in quality. There's maybe 5-6 stinker episodes between them. 

Watched THE HARDER THEY FALL on Netflix. A mess in terms of story and character… but also terrifically entertaining and real eye-candy in every way: aggressively edited, bold colors, beautifully shot (on the one hand, paying a lot of tribute to Leone; on the other, leaning into a 21st century music video feel, and successfully joining those two together). What a great cast too.

Edited by Plain Old Tele
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Watched THE HARDER THEY FALL on Netflix. A mess in terms of story and character… but also terrifically entertaining and real eye-candy in every way: aggressively edited, bold colors, beautifully shot (on the one hand, paying a lot of tribute to Leone; on the other, leaning into a 21st century music video feel, and successfully joining those two together). What a great cast too.

I'm planning to watch this soon. That cast is bonkers, so many of my faves.

Has anyone else watched Maid yet? I just got done with it last night and found it to be a wrenching but also lovely little series about a difficult topic. Margaret Qualley is incredible and needs to be a star ASAP. Great cast surrounding her too (including her mom, Andie MacDowell), with special mention to Nick Robinson for nailing a challenging part that's about as far from Simon Spier as possible.

• Like 1