Eric Lasagna

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

1 minute ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Gotta single out Pattinson here. If you've seen him in The Lighthouse or his other filmhis excellent performance won't really surprise you. He does a great job of showcasing his two personas much like the previous Waynes, but he feels like a man stuck in a horror show and has to figure his way out of the darkness, but while being consumed by said darkness. I do remember a few comments when he was casted that he was not right for the role (absolute bullshit by the way if you've seen his acting chops before) but he stands out in this. Feels like a new perspective on Batman in a way not really explored before in live action big screen (though there's some animated Batman films that also explores some of the themes here). 

What did you think of the fight scenes?

20 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

They are all real, just not critics.

Please don't post non-critics here. We try not to flood the thread with reactions of viewers which won't matter to the final score. Only post verified Twitter users or critics who work for major publications or critics who are RT- verified. Helps keep the thread clean as well.

Posting fan reactions simply adds posts without adding any value.

2 minutes ago, 21C said:

What did you think of the fight scenes?

Feels like right amount of kinetic brutality and interestingly sometimes restrained. I mean I enjoyed them so I don't know what else big words I can use to describe them lol. They didn't feel hard to watch? They're cool? Sure. 

I love Nolan's films, but I admit his fight scenes in the Batman trilogy are shot very awkwardly sometimes, especially if it involved CQB.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Feels like right amount of kinetic brutality and interestingly sometimes restrained. I mean I enjoyed them so I don't know what else big words I can use to describe them lol. They didn't feel hard to watch? They're cool? Sure. 

I love Nolan's films, but I admit his fight scenes in the Batman trilogy are shot very awkwardly sometimes, especially if it involved CQB.

How would you compare them to other superhero movies? The thing I always find annoying is when they have a ton of shakey cam or a lot of cuts that makes it hard to see anything that's going on.

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Gotta single out Pattinson here. If you've seen him in The Lighthouse or his other filmhis excellent performance won't really surprise you. He does a great job of showcasing his two personas much like the previous Waynes, but he feels like a man stuck in a horror show and has to figure his way out of the darkness, but while being consumed by said darkness. I do remember a few comments when he was casted that he was not right for the role (absolute bullshit by the way if you've seen his acting chops before) but he stands out in this. Feels like a new perspective on Batman in a way not really explored before in live action big screen (though there's some animated Batman films that also explores some of the themes here). 

This sounds like the first live-action Batman movie where Batman/Bruce himself is the most compelling character and doesn't become overshadowed by his villains. Would you say that's the case? Do the villains, or any villain in particular, still have their memorable moments?

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

Please don't post non-critics here. We try not to flood the thread with reactions of viewers which won't matter to the final score. Only post verified Twitter users or critics who work for major publications or critics who are RT- verified. Helps keep the thread clean as well.

Posting fan reactions simply adds posts without adding any value.

I think we can all agree that posting reactions from 'verified Twitter users' also adds no value

49 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm really interested to see how The Batman does there because there's honestly no good comparisons at all to even try to predict which numbers it'll do.

My logic would tell me that it'll only reach the 50 million of TDKR... but TDKR had a very ridiculous disadvantage on that market in the sense that TDK didn't release there, so it makes sense that a ton of chinese moviegoers would not go to TDKR when it was the third movie of a trilogy in which they didn't get to see the second one. 
BvS strikes me as a poor comparison because of the very different tones on both movies.
My guess is somewhere between 40-70 million.

17 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

BvS hype was easily the highest ever for a DC movie and it did that much. Not to forget The Trinity being on live action for the first time. The Batman isn't even close to it.

I remember it completely differently. The hype for the film get smaller and smaller when Snyder added to it Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg and The Flash, and even smaller when they push it to May 2016 just tu change it again for March 2016. Marketing was also not-so-good, every poster/trailer was released one day / a few days before or after trailers  /posters to Civil War / The Force Awakens. TDK and TDKR were easily the most anticipated movies of their seasons, BvS was maybe the third.

I think the hype for The Batman is one of the biggest for the DC film ever and the marketing is a waaaaay better than BvS.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Juby said:

The hype for the film get smaller and smaller when Snyder added to it Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg and The Flash, and even smaller when they push it to May 2016 just tu change it again for March 2016.

Wonder Woman was a major draw for people, the hype for the Trinity was real, that was peak DC hype.

Google trends also supports BvS being more hyped than Civil War whilst The Force Awakens had already been released months prior. The Batman is picking up speed on Google trends and with good reviews it might hit the same level of traffic but by this point BvS had already been putting out larger Goggle trends values than The Batman for months.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PenguinXXR said:

I’m thinking ¥500-700M in China ($80-110M).

Honestly with 2 weeks later release than US. Even with exceptional review 90+ RT score and great WOM. 70-80m is already great. Still better than not releasing at the market at all.