Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

3 minutes ago, YM! said:

And I thought Quantumania was ugly lol. Why are these tentpoles looking uglier?

Generally, VFX workers in Hollywood have been notoriously overworked for years now since most big movies (especially Marvel Movies) use green screen for nearly everything now, which means the CGI work has been on overdrive.

Combination of limited VFX artists + overworking + less and less time + underappreciation for their work in general has lead to worse effects. There are other factors too i would imagine that may differ from movie to movie, but in general, Hollywood is just demanding too much from too few people in not enough time.

• Like 3

I'm really not sure how you can watch this trailer and say it looks the same as Quantumania, Black Widow, The Batman, Shang-Chi, etc. in recent years. Even Multiverse of Madness, which I personally disliked, had a completely different approach to multiverse shenanigans. 

I truly do feel the trailer's (and movie's) emotional core is/will be strong in a NWH-esque way, while hopefully providing more inspired action than that film. Good thing is we only have to wait a few hours to gauge some reactions -- which, reminder as always, are not to be taken as pure gospel.

• Like 3

I didn't find the CGI that jarring tbh. It looks on par with most CBM to me, so I'll probably give it a watch OW. I don't put too much weight on seeing a movie based on its VFX quality, especially if it's not trying to rely on that as the main appeal, which based on the trailers it seems this is more story based and cameo/nostalgia bait, but I'm 19 lol. Who knows, I could be completely wrong and it sucks.

I will say that the actual cinematography is looking very good. The Zod action scenes look like ass right now, but everything else is looking really nice. The shot of the prison, seeing Zod get out of his ship from his back, Kara flying above the stormy clouds while carrying Barry and the Keaton Batman suit lineup are the highlights. If Muschietti returns to the DC fold under Gunn then I really hope he's given enough time for quality CGI next time around.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Probably because the FX artists are working on multiple projects for both TV and film at the same time so they can’t devote all their time to focusing on just one. 

Also, so many of these directors actively can't be bothered to learn how to actually design and shoot VFX sequences. 

They'll just film the actors doing whatever on a bluescreen and then have the VFX teams pick up the slack in post, usually requiring them to completely change everything in the shot. 

Edited by TerwillikerInst
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

The movie isn't finished yet.

Maybe you should wait to see it before to talk about the good/bad CGI.

That's fair but people always say this when there's complaints about cgi in CBMs and 99% of the time, it's not really that improved.

• Like 1

Calling it now, this is going to get in like the 70s on RT and the general reception'll be "It's fine.".

EDIT: And if I'm wrong, feel free to point and laugh at this post lol

Edited by Mulder
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Generally, VFX workers in Hollywood have been notoriously overworked for years now since most big movies (especially Marvel Movies) use green screen for nearly everything now, which means the CGI work has been on overdrive.

Combination of limited VFX artists + overworking + less and less time + underappreciation for their work in general has lead to worse effects. There are other factors too i would imagine that may differ from movie to movie, but in general, Hollywood is just demanding too much from too few people in not enough time.

Never forget that capitalism will kill us faster than the virus will. Never, ever, ever forget.

• Like 2