Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

2 minutes ago, vinny2487 said:

The opening weekend BO of Batman v Superman says otherwise. People were hyped for that movie and WB absolutely laid a rotten egg with that movie. A more competent director BvS would've been a $1 billion+ movie and the DCEU wouldn't be in such a sorry state. 

I think a movie called Batman v. Superman had a very particular advantage that a Justice League or The Flash doesn't. 

Look at the opening weekend for Man of Steel ($128m), BvS ($166m), and Suicide Squad ($133m). Better reviews on those films the weekends are more like $130m, $210m, and $180m. They then lead directly into Wonder Woman ($800m) and Aquabro ($1.2b).

Had quality been better with film 1 and A LOT better with 2 and 3, DC would have been major power. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

Look at the opening weekend for Man of Steel ($128m), BvS ($166m), and Suicide Squad ($133m). Better reviews on those films the weekends are more like $130m, $210m, and $180m. They then lead directly into Wonder Woman ($800m) and Aquabro ($1.2b).

Had quality been better with film 1 and A LOT better with 2 and 3, DC would have been major power. 

Looking at the grosses for MoS/BvS/SS just makes me angry. What a stupid waste of potential. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

losing confidence in this getting particularly great reviews, this screams nwh/shang-chi tier-reviews

NWH got 90%+ on Rotten Tomatoes. I think The Flash will be closer to Multiverse of Madness; it's paying off a lot more for the DC hardcore fanatics which is why the early reactions may seem a lot more enthusiastic, but I think that when it comes to critics it'll end up in that ballpark since a lot of the people that are not 100% biased in favor of this film are pointing out being mixed on several aspects of that. Compound that with the recent cynicism on superhero media, the ever-lasting cynicism on the DCEU, nostalgiabait, and Ezra Miller and... yeah. 70%-80% sounds about right for this movie. Maybe 85% but I dont' see it being better reviewed than GoTG. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

losing confidence in this getting particularly great reviews, this screams nwh/shang-chi tier-reviews

This sentence makes no sense lol, NWH/SC tier reviews are particularly great reviews!

• Like 9

Grace Randolph brogue up a very good point. 

Fand who usually pre order tickets can't do it right now for The Flash because of the busy marketplace with Spider-Verse and all those movies.

The jump in ticket sales for The Flash in the final week can be historic.

1 hour ago, Legions of the Galaxy said:

This sentence makes no sense lol, NWH/SC tier reviews are particularly great reviews!

Lol, exactly. If this got reviews like NWH or even SC they would be ecstatic. Doubt that happens but ya, weird comment. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 21C said:

NWH got 90%+ on Rotten Tomatoes. I think The Flash will be closer to Multiverse of Madness; it's paying off a lot more for the DC hardcore fanatics which is why the early reactions may seem a lot more enthusiastic, but I think that when it comes to critics it'll end up in that ballpark since a lot of the people that are not 100% biased in favor of this film are pointing out being mixed on several aspects of that. Compound that with the recent cynicism on superhero media, the ever-lasting cynicism on the DCEU, nostalgiabait, and Ezra Miller and... yeah. 70%-80% sounds about right for this movie. Maybe 85% but I dont' see it being better reviewed than GoTG. 

Strange 2 had way more hype than this. I am thinking 250m or so right now

I've said it before and I'll say it again...the fatal blows for the DCEU were before Snyder even cried Action for the first time. 

The seeds of DC's disaster were in its greatest success.

Christopher Nolan captured zeitgeist lightning in a bottle. He did it via a distinct and unique sleight of hand that he got away with ONCE. For one glorious moment he framed a movie and positioned it as it if was as gritty as a crime drama (with all the levity in genre that comes with) while maintaining all the tropes and blows of a superhero movie. It wasn't...it (ie the crime drama element/supposed realism) was all a cheat and the logic of The Dark Knight is as cartoonish as any superhero movie. But in that moment, and because of the Joker who everyone has good charity towards at he worst of times - never mind when he's performed by a loved actor who has just passed away. It was massive. 

It was perfect for that moment. And being done once. Even its own sequel didn't really get away with it anything like as much.

BUT WB in their setup for the DCEU was absolutely convinced that they could keep lightning in that bottle. That it could be replicated. They even convinced themselves it could be replicated when their Lord and Master Christopher Nolan made it abundantly clear that he was absolutely done with superhero movies. They convinced him to put his name as a sort of producer and/or creative consultant, even though he'd obviously be neither. And they got a guy who if you squinted *sort of* had similar sensibilities to Nolan.

DCEU was broken from the start because it was never the original "DCEU", nor was it even "Zach Snyder presents the DCEU". It was "Warner Brothers Presents CHRISTOPHER NOLAN'S DCEU!!! (((as interpreted by Zach Snyder because we can't convince Nolan to have anything to do with it)))"

THE DCEU was haunted by Christopher Nolan the entire time. It's preposterously ignored now how much Nolan was used in marketing in the early phrases of the DCEU and when Man of Steel came out.

Warner Brothers were absolutely convinced that "gritty, serious, po-faced and seemingly grounded in reality" could work in an extended franchise whose world is one of the most fantastical imaginable. Because it worked once.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

As much as everyone wants realism and real sets and practical effects... That's just not possible with some of these movies. These are comic book characters that travel at the speed of sound, etc etc. The reason why a lot of the early MCU stuff looks good is either the heroes weren't powered, or WAY powered down, or the scope of the films was just smaller.

Doesn't mean we have to accept these looking like shit!

Hell, GOTG v3 was less than a month ago, and that looked great.

• Like 2

I'm really looking forward to The Flash and yet it's impossible to deny how much more appealing it would look if the CGI looked even remotely consistent! It won't ruin a great story, but it will diminish the impact of what I'm sure will be many action scenes.

Edited by Dragoncaine
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, John Marston said:

Strange 2 had way more hype than this. I am thinking 250m or so right now

I was talking reviews, not box office. Box Office wise it'll end up somewhere between Justice League 2017 and The Batman.