The Panda

BOT's Top 100 Movies of All Time - Hindsight is 2020 Edition

14 actual Oscar Best Picture like Godfather Part I & II, Titanic, Parasite, The Apartment

29 are Oscar best picture nominees such as Raider of Lost Ark, Apocalypse Now, Mad Max Fury Road, Saving Private Ryan

9 are Oscar best animated feature winner includes Inside Out, Sprited Away and Spiderverse

2 are Oscar best foreign language film winner like Parasite and 7 Samurai

• Like 3

Panda.... Thank you for that amazing write up for Raiders of the lost ark. Both Raiders and Empire made my top 10 as did fellowship of the Ring so no complaints here at all whatsoever. I was fascinated to read that Stanley Kubrick's daughter was such a snake enthusiast or at least a sentient being enthusiast and because of her the snakes were treated well on set. As an animal lover myself that pleases me immensely.

I also didn't know that Harrison Ford had that much of an impact on creating Indiana Jones behind the scenes before it even gets to the shooting schedule.

I'm thrilled that Raiders of the lost ark is number one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad to see my favourite film Titanic managed to retain its spot at #8 although many films have slipped down from their 2018's rank!

Good job! Panda! At least we have some activity here and for other loyal BoT member when BoT has become basically a dead zone since the virus hit

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

with how much this forums talk down on franchise movies, this top 5 feels weird. 

I'll put Lords of the Rings and Indiana Jones on my watch list :ph34r:

LOTR: FOTR is the first film of the Middle-Earth double trilogy, it has the "origin/first out of the gate" element in the hype. Also, it was nominated for 13 Oscars including Best Picture, which definitely washed away its franchiseness.

Raider of lost ark wasn't a franchise by the time it get released.  As for Schindler's list, no justification is needed to exclude it from the list of franchise. 

TDK and ESB are the purest "franchise" film among top 5, and even with that, the former has Nolan brand to shield it from anti-franchise community.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Panda said:

DRDoew7.png

exCsvIi.png

Decade Count

1930s - 1, 1940s - 3, 1950s - 7, 1960s - 7, 1970s - 11, 1980s - 13, 1990s - 21, 2000s - 17, 2010s - 16

Apparently we have 4 truly timeless films on the list because this adds up to 96.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just want to add my voice to the people thanking Panda. When I ran my own list it felt like a lot of work, but what I did was nothing compared to the incredible effort you put into this (and your other) list.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Tower said:

Apparently we have 4 truly timeless films on the list because this adds up to 96.

I may have left out a paste or two somewhere from prior entries.  I can double check that later.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

14 actual Oscar Best Picture like Godfather Part I & II, Titanic, Parasite, The Apartment

29 are Oscar best picture nominees such as Raider of Lost Ark, Apocalypse Now, Mad Max Fury Road, Saving Private Ryan

9 are Oscar best animated feature winner includes Inside Out, Sprited Away and Spiderverse

2 are Oscar best foreign language film winner like Parasite and 7 Samurai

In terms of Oscar, it is curious than the most awarded director ever, John Ford, who won 4 prizes, has 0 films in the list (if I am not wrong, his first film ranks #135). I see his absense in the top 100 nearly as a blasphemy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peludo said:

In terms of Oscar, it is curious than the most awarded director ever, John Ford, who won 4 prizes, has 0 films in the list (if I am not wrong, his first film ranks #135). I see his absense in the top 100 nearly as a blasphemy.

Because people hate him for beating Citizen Kane with How Green was my valley, despite the fact that Orson himself regards Ford as one of the best director of all time.

1 hour ago, peludo said:

Name a movie that John Ford directed that has hit the zeitgeist. Films like citizen Kane, gone with the wind, wizard of Oz our films are pretty much everyone has seen. I think stagecoach might be his most famous film it's not exactly a film that many people have seen we're born post 1980. I think the reason he's not on this list is because people just haven't seen his movies.

• Like 2