TMP

Napoleon | Sony/Apple | November 22, 2023 | Joaquin Phoenix is Napoleon | Ridley Scott

If it's as good as The Last Duel, I won't mind the british accents.

But yeah, enough with the modern song in music trailers. Just put music that fits with the actual movie.

Edited by Boxx93
  • Like 1

Rough trailer. Suggests they don’t really know what the movie is beyond its star, which doesn’t bode well. 

god bless Scott (I might be the only person in the world who likes Alien Covenant) but I don’t understand why studios keep throwing money at him for these epics. 

Edited by Hatebox

If I were you, I'd appreciate the fact that this movie exists and getting wide theatrical release, and wouldn't take it for granted. Once Ridley and Marty are gone, those old fashioned massively budgeted and ambitious historical epics with A level craft and big star lead will be gone too, just like Tony Scott's type of movies died with him or John Hughes' comedies died with Hughes. There will be some cheap knock-offs, but not real deal from an old master.

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Looks like it lacks an angle or specific take to make it more than a very standard biopic tbh. I never have thought Phoenix was right for this part. Still will keep hope though.

It's gonna be focused on Napoleon's and Jospehine's relationship, it's not birth to death biopic, how can you make those conclusions from 2 minute trailer that tries to make it look commercially appealing?

Edited by TomThomas

1 minute ago, TomThomas said:

It's gonna be focused on Napoleon's and Jospehine's relationship, it's not birth to death biopic, how can you make those conclusions from 2 minute trailer that tries to make it look commercially appealing?

Hey man, I'm rooting for the movie. But the general consensus from about everyone here and online is that this trailer stunk.

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Hey man, I'm rooting for the movie. But the general consensus from about everyone here and online is that this trailer stunk.

I agree that trailer is not well edited at all and music choice sucks, but what's wrong with the actual footage? Look beyond poorly put together trailer.

Edited by TomThomas

Why does the scope of it look small despite what are supposed to be huge battles? Something feels off about the trailer, not sure what. It looks cheap and flat for some reason. Also, sad to see Ridley also give in to dark "naturalistic" battle scenes where we can't see shit.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Looks too digital and Phoenix looks extremely bored.

Idk, looks just like all Ridley's films for the last 10 years, looks very practical and not CGI heavy. With Phoenix, we need to see more, I think it's most likely more restrained perfomance, maybe people expected more of an over the top perfomance with loud inspiring speeches.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

If I were you, I'd appreciate the fact that this movie exists and getting wide theatrical release, and wouldn't take it for granted. Once Ridley and Marty are gone, those old fashioned massively budgeted and ambitious historical epics with A level craft and big star lead will be gone too, just like Tony Scott's type of movies died with him or John Hughes' comedies died with Hughes. There will be some cheap knock-offs, but not real deal from an old master.

Any "epic" that's straight to streaming is dead to me. IMO.