YM!

Lightyear | 6/17/22 | Disney/Pixar | PUPPY INTERVIEW FRIDAY SO NO REASON TO SEE MOVIE NOW. FLOP INCOMING

3 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Kinda crazy how broken RT is. 

The Metacritic is 59. 2 negative reviews, 13 mixed, 13 positive... that's mixed reception.

The RT average is 6.80.

Yet somehow the RT score is 81% just because the aggregate? 

So silly. And not at all reflective of the actual reviews. Yet some people will just see the 80% and assume it's solid instead of mixed

6.8 is solid tho 

It's a kids movie, personally yeah it sucks is probably just a fun movie with no real depth or complexity like other Pixar gems, but still 6.8 is solid. 

And reading the reviews, most of the complains sound like things GP simply don't care, in fact maybe they will love that is just a fun time and no more than that. 

4 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

You need a kiss scene to know EEAO is about a lesbian? 

also you can be woke warrior, but not a hypocritical one. If there was never a backlash, you really naively assume that Disney will self-initiate a reinstatement of a lesbian kiss scene? They will be happily cut it away to milk every penny from potential consumer. And that is hypocrisy. 

Your ability to keep avoiding my question as to why inclusion of a simple gay kiss is being "woke warrior" is astounding. Anyways I do not want to engage any further with regressive people who use words like that. 

2 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Also, piss off to anyone who has a problem with Lightyear and the "kiss".  I've seen it in full and it is the least harmful or threatening thing every.  In fact, it's beautiful and full of love.  

Be careful! Homophobes will label you a "woke warrior" for saying something like that. 

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 2

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

6.8 is solid tho 

It's a kids movie, personally yeah it sucks is probably just a fun movie with no real depth or complexity like other Pixar gems, but still 6.8 is solid. 

And reading the reviews, most of the complains sound like things GP simply don't care, in fact maybe they will love that is just a fun time and no more than that. 

That's not what I'm saying (and I disagree 6.8 is solid. thats barely better than average). On MC alone, it's 3rd lowest rated Pixar behind Cars sequels. In terms of RT average:

Toy Story- 9.1

Toy Story 3/Inside Out- 8.9

Toy Story 2/Nemo/Up- 8.7

Wall-E- 8.6

Ratatouille- 8.5

Incredibles/Toy Story 4- 8.4

Coco/Soul- 8.3

Monsters Inc- 8.1

Turning Red- 8.0

Bugs Life/Incredibles 2- 7.9

Dory- 7.7

Luca- 7.3

Onward- 7.2

Brave- 7.0

Cars- 6.9

Monsters University/Lightyear- 6.8

Good Dinosaur- 6.6

Cars 3- 6.1

Cars 2- 5.5

It's a bottom 5 Pixar critically. I don't think anyone would call this group solid. 

I'm saying with a 6.8 average, the 80 overall score isn't entirely indicative. It should be 60-70%

A high 6s average rating and 80s Tomatometer isn't that uncommon

Maybe it will fall into the 70s, but a high 6s average rating is still pretty solid on the scale of movies in general even if it is low by Pixar standards. "Pretty solid" of course is not what Pixar has built their brand on so still possible the GA sees it as more "disappointing" than "solid"

Edited by AniNate

42 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Seriously though there’s now a very real chance Lightyear does sub 200m, the second that happens Pixar and WDAS are staying straight to the plus. 

What sucks is Turning Red could have done better theatrically in Lightyear’s spot imo

• Like 3

MODERATION

first off, the anti-LGBTQ talk stops now. Even if you are “just talking about it in context of the box office.”  That’s just an excuse. Stop. Move on

second off, I don’t think any of us have seen the movie yet, and we know for a fact that not always the reviews in the audience opinions matchup, so I don’t necessarily know why we’re going to start doom posting about Pixar or the film before we even see any tickets sales from this weekend. I think there’s a very simple way that we can fix all of this:

Look at this picture with Chris Evans in a puppy. It’s the most beautiful picture in existence. Isn’t it just heartwarming and comforting and don’t you just want to be happy. Be the puppy.

It’s amazing. How can anyone be in a bad mood or having negative thoughts when looking at this picture. 

so cute. 

be this tweet. 

• Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

That's not what I'm saying (and I disagree 6.8 is solid. thats barely better than average). On MC alone, it's 3rd lowest rated Pixar behind Cars sequels. In terms of RT average:

Toy Story- 9.1

Toy Story 2/Nemo/Up- 8.7

Wall-E- 8.6

Ratatouille- 8.5

Coco/Soul- 8.3

Monsters Inc- 8.1

Turning Red- 8.0

Dory- 7.7

Luca- 7.3

Onward- 7.2

Brave- 7.0

Cars- 6.9

Good Dinosaur- 6.6

Cars 3- 6.1

Cars 2- 5.5

It's a bottom 5 Pixar critically. I don't think anyone would call this group solid. 

I'm saying with a 6.8 average, the 80 overall score isn't entirely indicative. It should be 60-70%

It's on bottom 5 because Pixar have one of the strongest catalogs of Hollywood, not because 6.8 is a bad grade itself, it's solid / fine / decent, whatever you want to call.

And no, it shouldn't be at 60%. The % is about the approval, not the grade, all the fresh reviews reads positive indeed, so why it should be lower? The point of RT is show how many people liked it, no matter how much they liked it

It's perfectly coherent with RT approach, of course if you think Metacritic average grade system is better than whatever, it's your opinion. 

1 hour ago, Cappoedameron said:

I honestly think the pandemic has given people a lot of patience and now post pandemic unless the movie is a must watch they're perfectly fine with waiting 45 days to watch it on the streaming service.

I think the move to streaming would have happened anyway; Covid just speeded up the process. 

Too soon to write the movie off, but the reviews are certainly not helping things.

And it's not like Pixar is fail safe at the box office the way it used to be. They have had a couple of underperforming films that past few years. They are not getting home runs every time they are up the way they used to.

The worst thing if Lightyear fials will be the gloating by the right.

Edited by dudalb

Mixed-positive reviews will probably neither help this movie significantly nor be a negative factor.

I still have no idea how big this movie could be, but for now im guessing 70M OW. If it gets anywhere near 60M though, it could be a very close race between it and Jurassic World for Number 1 this coming weekend, unless Dominion falls of a cliff which i doubt.

2 hours ago, Eric Lightyear said:

Yeah this movie is boned

RIP Disney animated movies playing in theaters (December 1937-June 2022)

Honestly, if you weren't a mod, you would and should get a warning based on this incessent trolling you have done and now are doing again.  It's not reality.  Disney is going to keep releasing animated movies in theaters for decades to come.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Toy Story- 9.1

Toy Story 2/Nemo/Up- 8.7

Wall-E- 8.6

Ratatouille- 8.5

Coco/Soul- 8.3

Monsters Inc- 8.1

Turning Red- 8.0

Dory- 7.7

Luca- 7.3

Onward- 7.2

Brave- 7.0

Cars- 6.9

Good Dinosaur- 6.6

Cars 3- 6.1

Cars 2- 5.5

Monsters University 80%, Good Dinosaur 76%. I see nothing unusual about a 6.8 average and an 80% rating. 

4 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Ever since Across The Spider-verse moved to 2023, this was the lock for Best Animated Feature. Unless something comes around that's better, I think the only thing that might beat it is Turning Red.

Netflix have a pretty good shot this year.

Del Toro´s Pinocchio is coming on December, will probably be very artsy and could won.

Henry Selick is also coming back from his 13 year hiatus with Wendell & Wild on October

17 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Honestly, if you weren't a mod, you would and should get a warning based on this incessent trolling you have done and now are doing again.  It's not reality.  Disney is going to keep releasing animated movies in theaters for decades to come.  

Okay.

Just now, Eric Lightyear said:

Okay.

Okay is right.  You love to throw out MODERATION and warnings right and left for when people over and over post the same thing that is nonsense, yet for whatever reason on this topic you get a pass.  Saying RIP Disney releasing animation 1937-2022 or whatver is just so absurdly silly.  It's pretty much the definition of trolling, but you get away with it because you hold the mod keys and you get to decide what is or isn't trolling.  

Maybe think about it for a minute and own that your over and over posting on this is highly ridiculous and not based in reality.  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I, for one, am completely SHOCKED that the BOT bubble completely freaks out and overreacts only to look foolish an hour later.  

Will this site ever learn?

Huh? While reviews look better now than initial wave they still aren’t great. And the top critics score is low 

• Like 1