YM!

Lightyear | 6/17/22 | Disney/Pixar | PUPPY INTERVIEW FRIDAY SO NO REASON TO SEE MOVIE NOW. FLOP INCOMING

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I don't know if I'd say the future of the studio's existence rides on Elemental turning a profit but I have to imagine Lightyear's status as a massive franchise bomb has dealt a significant blow to their rep as a producer of profitable and quality films. It demonstrates that their franchises are not reliable as a tentpole strategy anymore, so if their original films don't do much better Disney doesn't have much reason to keep allocating the kinds of budgets to them that they've been receiving. 

I don't want to doommonger, just want to emphasize how quickly they need to rebound from this to maintain their status. Disney has shown they can be ruthless if their branches aren't making money.

But the likelihood of them being shut down is very low. I think $200m+ budgets probably are unlikely for originals for the foreseeable but cutting the budgets to under $100m would have a very noticeable impact on screen, I would imagine it's more likely Disney will insist Pixar keeps to the sort of budgets that WDAS have.

Well, I also would just hate to see them be forced to kill projects and cut their budgets. Good Dinosaur did make them close that Canada studio so these kinds of individual bombs can still have a material adverse effect.

Also Disney has shown they are willing to close an animation studio if it's deemed financially and logistically advantageous, even if it's unpopular.

Edited by AniNate

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Well, I also would just hate to see them be forced to kill projects and cut their budgets. Good Dinosaur did make them close that Canada studio so these kinds of individual bombs can still have a material adverse effect.

Also Disney has shown they are willing to close an animation studio if it's deemed financially and logistically advantageous, even if it's unpopular.

The closing of Blue Sky was due to Disney not needing three animation studios and while sad was inevitable. Closing Pixar down would be a PR disaster for Disney and you do not close a studio just because they're going through a rough patch. It's way too valuable as a brand unlike Blue Sky which had no real name recognition. 

10 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

But the likelihood of them being shut down is very low. I think $200m+ budgets probably are unlikely for originals for the foreseeable but cutting the budgets to under $100m would have a very noticeable impact on screen, I would imagine it's more likely Disney will insist Pixar keeps to the sort of budgets that WDAS have.

The whole difference between WDAS budgets and Pixar budgets might be because of employment issues, not because Disney just thinks Pixar deserves $50 million more for its movies.

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The closing of Blue Sky was due to Disney not needing three animation studios and while sad was inevitable. Closing Pixar down would be a PR disaster for Disney and you do not close a studio just because they're going through a rough patch. It's way too valuable as a brand unlike Blue Sky which had no real name recognition. 

this rough patch is really only one movie. Because they didn't even get a chance with the previous 4, including Onward.

• Like 1

Lol what is this doom and gloom about Pixar, it’s not going away anytime soon.

Turning Red is a massive success for Disney. Lightyear is a bomb together with Onward. But that doesn’t mean Pixar will simply go away now.

They’re still one of the top studios out there, there might be some internal changes but there’s no way Pixar will be gone.

12 minutes ago, AniNate said:

This is all really just my roundabout way of trying to get everyone to root for Elemental's success a little more. I legit think more is riding on it now then there would've been if Lightyear was a hit.

The director of The Good Dinosaur and the producer of Cars 2 sounds like a winning team for sure.

14 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The director of The Good Dinosaur and the producer of Cars 2 sounds like a winning team for sure.

In fairness, Peter Sohn didn't originate the idea for that Good Dinosaur movie... which might count for something.

8 hours ago, cannastop said:

it's a bit overshadowed by Encanto in terms of Streaming, no?

Yes, Encanto is just too phenomenal in Disney+, I think it’s again the number 1 movie of Disney+ for the last couple of weeks, overtaking Turning Red.

But i wouldn’t say that Turning Red isn’t a success just because of that. Encanto is just really a phenomenon at this point.

3 hours ago, Dingdong said:

Yes, Encanto is just too phenomenal in Disney+, I think it’s again the number 1 movie of Disney+ for the last couple of weeks, overtaking Turning Red.

But i wouldn’t say that Turning Red isn’t a success just because of that. Encanto is just really a phenomenon at this point.

yeah Turning Red will probably have the same ratings as Luca in the end. 10.6 billion minutes. Whereas Encanto.... I don't even know, but it will be huge.

And Luca was #1 for 2021!

Does anyone think that a part of a reason that this flopped was because it was released on Father's Day weekend?

Like Top Gun 2 was more of a dad movie. But that's just one explanation I heart.

Maybe Pixar should try to ease out of the Father's Day weekend slot.

9 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Does anyone think that a part of a reason that this flopped was because it was released on Father's Day weekend?

Like Top Gun 2 was more of a dad movie. But that's just one explanation I heart.

no.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cannastop said:

No way. Lightyear was toasted with the mediocre reviews. What release date do you think would have been better?

5 minutes ago, LegendaryBen said:

No way. Lightyear was toasted with the mediocre reviews. What release date do you think would have been better?

yeah I should have known better than to parrot something I heard from a crappy youtube video. Toy Story 3 and Inside Out also were on Father's Day weekend, and those did splendidly.

But uhh I was going to say that June 24th would have been better, but Minions was the weekend after that. But Disney didn't really have a way of knowing that other movies would be so popular.

Edited by cannastop

If it were getting better reviews it might've performed closer to those two

When was the last time any G or PG movie had three straight 60%+ weekend drops (excluding COVID circumstances)

Edited by AniNate