YM!

Lightyear | 6/17/22 | Disney/Pixar | PUPPY INTERVIEW FRIDAY SO NO REASON TO SEE MOVIE NOW. FLOP INCOMING

1 hour ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Are we really counting Avengers: Endgame, Rise of Skywalker, and Beauty and the Beast as representation? The bar is in hell. If the “representation” amounts to split second scenes should it even count?

Absolutely. That they genuinely tried to get a PR boost out of Beauty and the Beast for it's, what was it?, 'exclusively gay moment'? was an utter sham. I do think there's this unfortunate situation where the studios and the sheets egg each other on in order to have something to write about sometimes, so more is made out of it than is intended by the filmmaker - but when it's in contrast to the stark absence of same-sex relationships that feature in high-profile movies.

It blows my mind that Four Weddings and A Funeral featured a completely normalised, unambiguous, long term same-sex relationship in 1994 in a movie that was immensely popular and made a fortune, and yet Disney (and other mainstream US production houses) would still be here, in 2022, thinking a peck on the lips in the background deserves a badge and the adoring appreciation of the progressive community. 

Definitely hoping that if, as it sounds, Valkyrie is going to be a in a love story, that it provides unambiguous out-and-out representation in Thor: Love and Thunder. Both Endgame and MoM came across as tokenistic, but an improvement of sorts in that there was no furtively fudging around it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Are we really counting Avengers: Endgame, Rise of Skywalker, and Beauty and the Beast as representation? The bar is in hell. If the “representation” amounts to split second scenes should it even count?

No we shouldn't I was just pointing out the LGBT representation Disney has been proud of in their movies in recent years. To everyone else it was insulting.

Them writing articles about the TROS kiss was both insulting and infuriating.

• Like 2

I know someone mentioned it on Thursday, but it seems like we should be doing a better job of highlighting the apparently soft kid/family percentage for this film. Based on Deadline's preview numbers:

In last night’s PostTrak exits, Lightyear notched four stars with overall audiences and a 62% recommend. The audience make-up was 67% general, 16% parents and 17% kids under 12. Parents gave the movie 4 1/2 stars whereas kids under 12 gave it 5 stars. Boys outnumbered girls, 61% to 39%. Of the general audience, 53% where men, 47% women.

Which implies, to me, that General Audiences gave the film 3.5 stars (though that might be too low). After friday, Lightyear's overall numbers were revised upwards to 4 stars and 65% recommend. 

While that 33% family audience percentage matches Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse, it's notably lower than other animated films which range from high 60s to mid 40 percent of OW audiences. The best comp I can think of, incredibles 2 had ~45% family audience on opening weekend (with ~30% of the audience being kids). 

Should we be thinking of Lightyear as more of a boy version of Maleficent (something I've yet to hear anyone suggest)? Live action reboots/reimaginings seem to generically bring this level of family audiences but I'm not basing that on many datapoints. 

• Like 1

Finally caught this today, and man, what a disappointment. I found all the characters unlikeable and insufferable, even Sox. An uninspired and misguided attempt by Pixar. Completely understand the weak WoM. Compare this to the TS movies and it's night and day in terms of quality. Onward, Luca, Turning Red and Lightyear have all been middling to disappointing to me. I hope Pixar can get back into the groove.

Tom Hanks: I Don’t Understand Why Lightyear Didn’t Use Tim Allen – The Hollywood Reporter

In the interview with CinemaBlend conducted prior to the release of Hanks’ film Elvis but just now generating media attention, the star was asked whether it would feel strange to compete in theaters opposite a Buzz film. “How about that?” Hanks replied, appearing a bit befuddled about the situation. “Actually, I wanted to go head-to-head with Tim Allen, and then they didn’t let Tim Allen do it. I don’t understand that.”

So the casting backlash may be bigger than what we expected from the beginning. 

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

what, just because Tom Hanks was asked a random question?

His answer have hidden dissatisfaction. He is a public figure after all, so he won't go full hysterical to disagree but the fact he say he couldn't understand Tim Allen was not in the movie means something.   

7 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

His answer have hidden dissatisfaction. He is a public figure after all, so he won't go full hysterical to disagree but the fact he say he couldn't understand Tim Allen was not in the movie means something.   

I always thought the casting different actor  is reasonable choice since the plot is not supposed to have any relation with toy story. Casting tim Allen will create even more confusion about what is the movie all about? 

But yeah, apparently this casting choice matters to many.

On 6/28/2022 at 3:29 PM, Lion Roar said:

Onward, Luca, Turning Red and Lightyear have all been middling to disappointing to me. I hope Pixar can get back into the groove.

Hmm, I also though Onward and TR were meh (with Soul, which I see you didn’t list, being great). Doesn’t bode well for Luca whenever I get around to that.

2 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Hmm, I also though Onward and TR were meh (with Soul, which I see you didn’t list, being great). Doesn’t bode well for Luca whenever I get around to that.

I think Luca and Turning Red are just how Pixar movies are going to feel like from now on. 🤷‍♂️