YM!

Lightyear | 6/17/22 | Disney/Pixar | PUPPY INTERVIEW FRIDAY SO NO REASON TO SEE MOVIE NOW. FLOP INCOMING

Just now, Torontofan said:

This movie should been marketed as a direct prequel to Toy Story and had original cast.

Likely done better. 

but that's not what the movie was... the only character from Toy Story is Buzz

Edited by cannastop

I feel like one of the problems is that they tried make it appeal a lot more to young adults than kids. Lbr, as much as I love animation, there’s still stigma that animation is just for kids

The design is a lot more sophisticated, the trailers were more epic in scale, colors were muted as well.

But hey, Frozen 2 also did the same in marketing and style yet it was blockbuster right out of the gate.

11 hours ago, Dingdong said:

I feel like one of the problems is that they tried make it appeal a lot more to young adults than kids. Lbr, as much as I love animation, there’s still stigma that animation is just for kids

Well young adults are still young. I think Turning Red might have played to tweens rather than toddlers but it's still a success on streaming, accoridng to nielsen.

Unless you by young adult you mean people in their 20s. And I doubt Lightyear was made to do that. Otherwise it would be pg-13.

13 hours ago, Dingdong said:

The design is a lot more sophisticated, the trailers were more epic in scale, colors were muted as well.

But hey, Frozen 2 also did the same in marketing and style yet it was blockbuster right out of the gate.

This might possibly be the best answer. Maybe it was just too adult looking for families? And it's a bit tougher to get adults to go see an animated movies without kids.

(Frozen 2 may have been marketed similarly, but also had SONGS and was a direct sequel to a massive film)

2 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

This might possibly be the best answer. Maybe it was just too adult looking for families? And it's a bit tougher to get adults to go see an animated movies without kids.

(Frozen 2 may have been marketed similarly, but also had SONGS and was a direct sequel to a massive film)

I do remember a lot of adults seeing Zootopia without kids late into that run. In a dollar theater. Different circumstances of course.

Anyways, no I don't think Lightyear's marketing was "too adult". It had a Mcdonalds tie-in for crying out loud.

The movie does kinda have a confused vision of whether it's an epic space opera or a silly Saturday morning cartoon. I don't think Pixar could really commit to the former with it being marketed as a Toy Story spinoff but the muted color palette also made it seem unappealing as a rollicking kid friendly thing 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

I don't know what just happened but some store (most likely iTunes - not sure which country) just released a 4K HDR Dolby Atmos copy of this film with absolutely no prior announcement. It is out there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, AJG said:

I don't know what just happened but some store (most likely iTunes - not sure which country) just released a 4K HDR Dolby Atmos copy of this film with absolutely no prior announcement. It is out there. 

was this a mistake? piracy?

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

was this a mistake? piracy?

54 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Sonic 2 also got a leaked early. Why does this shit keep happening?

It's a mistake - it's from a legit digital storefront (I'm guessing iTunes due to the Bitrate). Last time there was a leak like this from an official storefront was the Demon Slayer movie leak from PlayStation. Dune leaked from a European TV provider a couple days early. Sony famously uploaded The Amazing Spider-Man 2 to YouTube early accidentally listing the full film as the trailer. It happens every once in a while.

Sonic 2's leak was from one of those South Korean cinema-hotels they have over there. Customer can rent a room with a couple of seats and watch a movie on a big screen. Staff rip these films and then upload them online. This is the more common type of movie leak.

On 7/14/2022 at 7:13 PM, AJG said:

HD everywhere now - even on Chinese sites.

6 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

48 days in theaters before D+. We all knew they were going drop this quickly on streaming.

Real question is will Disney stop reporting BO numbers before that day? It is getting really embrassing now.

This is the same release pattern as Doctor Strange and they continued to report the box office numbers for that after its D+ launch. Seven weeks seems to be the standard now regardless of the numbers, although I'm guessing they'll save Thor's launch for D+ Day on September 8.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

This is the same release pattern as Doctor Strange and they continued to report the box office numbers for that after its D+ launch. Seven weeks seems to be the standard now regardless of the numbers, although I'm guessing they'll save Thor's launch for D+ Day on September 8.

as I posted weeks ago when someone said it would drop on disney+ in July, it had a minimum 45 day window which seems standard for bigger disney titles now