YM!

Lightyear | 6/17/22 | Disney/Pixar | PUPPY INTERVIEW FRIDAY SO NO REASON TO SEE MOVIE NOW. FLOP INCOMING

Just got pulled from the Turkish theatrical schedule completely. And the official Disney+ account here hasn't said a word about it despite the release date being announced in other regions. Yeah, it's pretty safe to say it's unofficially banned here like Baymax and Love Victor. It likely would've bombed here too, but still. I guess Disney doesn't think being harassed by Turkish families over the same-sex kiss is worth it. Strange World is likely getting shadowbanned too. All the better for Minions 2 I suppose.

• Sad 2

saw it today as it's now on disney+. meh not awful but definitely bottom 3 pixar for me. no idea how THIS is the story you come up with for a buzz lightyear movie. buzz had no personality and the rest of his crew was annoying. cool visuals though.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

honestly it's good if it's not doing great on Disney+ either since it'll reinforce that this movie is just a dud and shouldn't inform their release strategy on future Pixar releases.

Honestly as its the first D+ animated movie that was had a standard cinema release I don't think we truly have a solid frame of reference for how it's doing. There's Encanto but that came out around Christmas which boosted the numbers. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

honestly it's good if it's not doing great on Disney+ either since it'll reinforce that this movie is just a dud and shouldn't inform their release strategy on future Pixar releases.

I doubt a lot of people subscribed to Disney + to see Lightyear. I think it's more a case of "Well, I am paying for th subscription; I might as well watch it. Not  costing me anything, really."

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

Nielsen:

Lightyear 5 day total: 1.3 billion minutes
Turning Red 3 day total: 1.7 billion minutes
Luca 3 day total: 1.57 billion minutes

final nail in the coffin

😬

The latter two movies didn’t get theatrical releases, so I don’t know if this is the best comparison. 

28 minutes ago, cannastop said:

it isn't but it does stink for Lightyear.

No it doesn't. 

You're trying to compare a theatrically released $200m+ grosser to two straight to streaming premiers... Those numbers aren't bad at all.

“We’ve done a lot of soul-searching about that because we all love the movie. We love the characters and the premise. I think probably what we’ve ended on in terms of what went wrong is that we asked too much of the audience. When they hear Buzz, they’re like, great, where’s Mr. Potato Head and Woody and Rex? And then we drop them into this science fiction film that they’re like, What?” Docter said. “Even if they’ve read the material in press, it was just a little too distant, both in concept, and I think in the way that characters were drawn, that they were portrayed. It was much more of a science fiction. And Angus, to his credit, took it very seriously and genuinely and wanted to represent those characters as real characters. But the characters in ‘Toy Story’ are much broader, and so I think there was a disconnect between what people wanted/expected and what we were giving to them.”

https://www.thewrap.com/pete-docter-interview-pixar-lightyear-toy-story-5/

12 hours ago, Verrows said:

It's refreshing when creatives and execs keep it real like this. 

As real as one can keep it in a public statement I suppose.

Personally the way MacLane was so adamant about dismissing the existence of the Star Command cartoon never sat right with me. That would've been a far better reference for an entertaining sci fi adventure with lively characters than what we got here.