YM!

Lightyear | 6/17/22 | Disney/Pixar | PUPPY INTERVIEW FRIDAY SO NO REASON TO SEE MOVIE NOW. FLOP INCOMING

I mean this whole production's genesis is questionable and perhaps the recasting of Buzz is a function of that. There maybe could've been an audience appealing Buzz Lightyear movie with Chris Evans as the voice, but clearly this wasn't it.

Looks very likely to finish under The Good Dinosaur unadjusted now with its terrible drops, don't think this can just be chalked up to social media controversies, there's something wrong with the film as a whole if the people who do see it aren't even recommending it strongly.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

well there's Elemental, but people are already dunking on it for being too stereotypically Pixar.

"What if X had feelings?"

Internet hipsters can dunk on “what if X had feelings” but it’s led to a bunch of great movies — 

what if rats had feelings

what if roombas had feelings

what if old people had feelings

etc etc

19 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Internet hipsters can dunk on “what if X had feelings” but it’s led to a bunch of great movies — 

what if rats had feelings

what if roombas had feelings

what if old people had feelings

etc etc

Well Elemental seems to be going for that Inside Out/Soul vibe.

I think personal opinions aside, no one is a Lightyear stan. 👿

Others can have their classic Pixar if I can have my new favorite, Turning Red.

There tends to be some doubt with every Pixar premise. I vividly recall Coco's thread being very bad faith about the project.

Ofc the director of Elemental doesn't have the resume yet to offset negative buzz, personal feelings aside. But Pixar definitely can't afford to have another disappointment right after this. At least Minions' breakout should hopefully cast aside any future "families want streaming" excuses.

4 hours ago, AniNate said:

There tends to be some doubt with every Pixar premise. I vividly recall Coco's thread being very bad faith about the project.

Ofc the director of Elemental doesn't have the resume yet to offset negative buzz, personal feelings aside. But Pixar definitely can't afford to have another disappointment right after this. At least Minions' breakout should hopefully cast aside any future "families want streaming" excuses.

I don't think another Pixar disappointment will spell doom for them as a studio, that's just doom mongering from certain posters. 

TBH it's 11 months away, the general public will have forgotten about Lightyear by then.

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I don't think another Pixar disappointment will spell doom for them as a studio, that's just doom mongering from certain posters. 

TBH it's 11 months away, the general public will have forgotten about Lightyear by then.

the fear is that the budgets will be cut if there's another disaster.

Which would be silly.

WDAS had to make like... 3 disasters before they were forced to make CGI movies.

Just now, cannastop said:

the fear is that the budgets will be cut if there's another disaster.

Which would be silly.

WDAS had to make like... 3 disasters before they were forced to make CGI movies.

By budget cuts, do you mean going from $200m to $150m or Illumination style budgets? Because realistically, the only way they can achieve lower budgets is by closing Emeryville and I think the backlash would be too great to even consider it. 

Just now, Jonwo said:

By budget cuts, do you mean going from $200m to $150m or Illumination style budgets? Because realistically, the only way they can achieve lower budgets is by closing Emeryville and I think the backlash would be too great to even consider it. 

yeah it would be a megaton disaster to close Emeryville down.

Also I think the contract when Disney bought Pixar said that Pixar and WDAS would never be merged or something like that.

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

yeah it would be a megaton disaster to close Emeryville down.

Also I think the contract when Disney bought Pixar said that Pixar and WDAS would never be merged or something like that.

I think Disney should consider splitting Pixar as a stand alone studio with a contract to release the movies/shows on their platform. I dont see a point in Disney having 2 separate animation studio. They have a strong one outside Pixar as well. 

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think Disney should consider splitting Pixar as a stand alone studio with a contract to release the movies/shows on their platform. I dont see a point in Disney having 2 separate animation studio. They have a strong one outside Pixar as well. 

what on earth would be the point of splitting off Pixar and still having their movies on Disney Plus? not to mention the sheer value of the intellectual property Pixar has given Disney.

Edited by cannastop

6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

what on earth would be the point of splitting off Pixar and still having their movies on Disney Plus? not to mention the sheer value of the intellectual property Pixar has given Disney.

Just cut Capex. They already closed Blue Sky after Fox acquisition. Why get to that point with Pixar. There is still significant brand value. 

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

Just cut Capex. They already closed Blue Sky after Fox acquisition. Why get to that point with Pixar. There is still significant brand value. 

Cut Capex? Where are they going to get money for their movies? I can kind of understand you wanting them to sell off Pixar, short sighted as that is, but you also want them to still have their movies featured on Disney Plus?

You want Pixar to have a separate listing on the stock exchange like a Sports team is?

I think there's a big difference between when Disney bought Fox. They had no intention, most likely, of keeping Blue Sky around long term.

I don't know if I'd say the future of the studio's existence rides on Elemental turning a profit but I have to imagine Lightyear's status as a massive franchise bomb has dealt a significant blow to their rep as a producer of profitable and quality films. It demonstrates that their franchises are not reliable as a tentpole strategy anymore, so if their original films don't do much better Disney doesn't have much reason to keep allocating the kinds of budgets to them that they've been receiving. 

I don't want to doommonger, just want to emphasize how quickly they need to rebound from this to maintain their status. Disney has shown they can be ruthless if their branches aren't making money.

Disney of all studios should know what's it like when a studio goes through a slump and we're a long way off a point where Pixar is remotely considered being shut down. It only takes a couple of good films to wipe the slate clean.