cax16

Blue Beetle | August 18, 2023 | WB/DC | Director - Angel Manuel Soto | First DC Universe Character!

45 minutes ago, Valencia said:

And?

That is much worse than BB and Shazam 2.

That’s John Carter/Lone Ranger level all time box office disaster lol.

I'm not sure I'm understanding your logic then. Flash made more than its budget, as did the other two films. So how is one a disaster, and the other two just "bombs".

Saw this other day and found it pretty below average. It's not awful or anything, it hits its beats well enough but its the most generic CBM I've seen in years. Nothing remotely unique enough about it to stand out. Would've done fine in 2017/2018 when standards were lower and fatigue hadn't settled in yet but it's not a surprise why this floundered in 2023.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

36 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

In those years we got Avengers Infinity War, Black Panther, Thor Ragnarok, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Deadpool 2, and Wonder Woman. Not sure this argument can be made that standards were lower.

I think that more so translates into "comic book movies didn't need to be great and get amazing word of mouth to be hits, anything could be, just for having the Marvel or DC logo on it". Of course, this would still probably ended up being more of a Shazam-sized sucess, as the DC(EU) brand especially was already bleeding in terms of hype; Wonder Woman and Aquaman were driven by WoM more than anything into the extent of their success.

Edited by toutvabien
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

This quietly had one of the worst international performances for a blockbuster ever 

People do not want to admit they were wrong when they said it would flourish in Spanish speaking countries, and with its domestic numbers not being too bad they are more likely to talk about Shazam 2 failing.

3 hours ago, Human said:

People do not want to admit they were wrong when they said it would flourish in Spanish speaking countries, and with its domestic numbers not being too bad they are more likely to talk about Shazam 2 failing.

Other countries don't want representation, they make their own. They want Hollywood garbage.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Human said:

I will believe it when he is a movie or actual production.

If he comes back, he'll show up in something else first, part of an ensemble (a la other cameos/supporting planned for Superman: Legacy).  Seems like Gunn is not shy about establishing a "universe" of characters up front -- he might even have a cameo in Legacy.  Xolo saying "I can confidently say we'll see him soon" seems to indicate some confidence...  Then again, Gal Gadot espoused the same type of quotes...and look what happened?  😁

Edited by Macleod