Eric Prime

MEMORIAL DAY 2021 WEEKEND THREAD | AQP2 19.3 Fri, Cruella 7.7 | SALE: $5 OFF FIRST MONTH OF GOLD

6 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I can only think of it is possible that the movie is burning off the target audience that willing to show up to the theater. 

This is my thought too. I think the general audience that sees 4-5 movies a year is not showing up just yet

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Spirit Untamed is feeling left out too lmao.

After The Prom, this is the only appropriate reaction to anything James Corden:

You Do Not Exist GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Watching him in the Friends reunion was honestly painful. I’m amazed people can sit through his talk show nightly

• Like 1

Just now, Maggie said:

This is my thought too. I think the general audience that sees 4-5 movies a year is not showing up just yet

At least june is relatively empty and I think covid situation in USA is still improving. And if Canada somehow manage to come back online, there may be one or two weeks of good hold. I am now worry about the 2nd week hold what if the movie collapsed as if it is coming off from a 150m opening. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

At least june is relatively empty and I think covid situation in USA is still improving. And if Canada somehow manage to come back online, there may be one or two weeks of good hold. I am now worry about the 2nd week hold what if the movie collapsed as if it is coming off from a 150m opening. 

The holds for the movies in the pandemic who did over 10M have been kinda bad...

Edited by Maggie

IM of 9.5-10.5 was pretty much the expectation, sure it would have been nice to go over 10 with the inflated Sun but I agree with john here — pretty normal for a sequel to a 2018 movie with 11.67 IM. Would have had the same IM expectations for a MDW release of this in a non pandemic version of 2020.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Maggie said:

The holds for the movies in the pandemic who did over 10M have been kinda bad...

Ya, especially live action movie, their legs have been unimpressive. With that lower opening number, the legs aren't far better than the pre-pandemic time. Animation are the one showing strong legs. I can't understand how come family movie leg out so strong when family with kids are probably more concern about safety than normal group but they turn out rate seem higher. Probably one year plus of staying isolation cost so many friendships and networking that people losing their social circle to hang out for movie.  

• Like 1

Just been to see AQP2 in the U.K. - opened today. Wow it’s just great. Word of mouth will be through the roof. 

btw - those questioning its internal multiplier over the weekend, and comparing it to POTC5 etc…why are you doing that? This is a new world now where they’re only just lifting mask restrictions for the fully vaccinated, and there’s social distancing galore. Even the demograph polling shows it’s younger audiences coming out for the movie. Those that are older and likely/understandably more tentative will eventually be reassured to come back. 

This is just one big first step. 
Any comparison to pre-pandemic multiplier behaviour seems completely futile to me at this point. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 4

Deadline has this for DS: 6.) Demon Slayer (Fun/Ani) 1,145 theaters (-755)/Fri $221K/Sat $321K/Sun $322K/3-day $864K (-44%)/4-day: $1.1M/Total: $46.8M/Wk 6

Btw, the previous anime 6th weekend record:

Dec 17-19 13 $537,573 -54.6% 1,804 -622 $297 $83,127,955 6

47 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Just been to see AQP2 in the U.K. - opened today. Wow it’s just great. Word of mouth will be through the roof. 

btw - those questioning its internal multiplier over the weekend, and comparing it to POTC5 etc…why are you doing that? This is a new world now where they’re only just lifting mask restrictions for the fully vaccinated, and there’s social distancing galore. Even the demograph polling shows it’s younger audiences coming out for the movie. Those that are older and likely/understandably more tentative will eventually be reassured to come back. 

This is just one big first step. 
Any comparison to pre-pandemic multiplier behaviour seems completely futile to me at this point. 

Why we shouldn't be comparing number against pre-pandemic level? If you read every Federal reserve report or bureau number, they are comparing unemployment rate and a lot of other metrics against pre-pandemic number. That is called gap analysis, and see how far we close to where things supposed to be.

Nothing wrong comparing number against pre-pandemic level if we are genuinely preparing ourselves for recovery stage, instead of being self-content.  No matter how it is impossible to achieve at the moment 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Blankments said:

My guess is Cruella will hold well due to there being literally no family oriented film that could also appeal to adults until July. Heights might also be able to capture that and it’s honestly the main reason I’ve been confused for so long about Luca skipping theaters lol

There's still a rabbit crying in his carrot...every day, he feels ignored and rejected:)...

Grannies count as adults:)...

• Like 1

Very solid weekend great for AQPII and good for Cruella.

Now hopefully films like Conjuring, In The Heights, Hitman's Wife Bodyguard and F9 can keep the box office solid for June and then we have Black Widow in July so should be good times ahead for the rest of the summer.

Edited by Jamiem
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Why we shouldn't be comparing number against pre-pandemic level? If you read every Federal reserve report or bureau number, they are comparing unemployment rate and a lot of other metrics against pre-pandemic number. That is called gap analysis, and see how far we close to where things supposed to be.

Nothing wrong comparing number against pre-pandemic level if we are genuinely preparing ourselves for recovery stage, instead of being self-content.  No matter how it is impossible to achieve at the moment 

I get what you’re saying. But you can’t get as far with half a tank of gas.  That’s all it is. We’re not here to write reports on it. We can just call it what it is….box office mid-vaccination campaign with limited capacity. Quiet Place’s weekend was spectacular and relatively way better than POTC5 for example. 

My argument was around internal multipliers. Which, in my opinion, can be just thrown straight out of the window as a comparison in the current scenario. When it’s a level playing field then, sure. 

• Like 3

AQP2 might be the first real post Covid hit.

Curella did OK, but still probably not what Disney had in mind. I would to see the PPC numbers for it;I have a feelikng they will not be very good, 30 bucks is just more then most people are willing to pay for a PPV show that is not an special event.

• Like 2

John Campea said on his show yesterday ‘a little birdie tells me the Cruella DPA numbers aren’t good’. Take with a pinch of salt, but he and Meyer Burnett have multiple sources in the industry and at the studios.  If true - great news!  Move your PVOD back 45 days and then stick a charge on it. That way you’re getting extra revenue AND not putting a perfect version of your movie online for free the minute it opens!