Eric Duncan

MEMORIAL DAY 2021 WEEKEND THREAD | AQP2 19.3 Fri, Cruella 7.7 | SALE: $5 OFF FIRST MONTH OF GOLD

11 hours ago, druv10 said:

One thing is obvious, if PA wasn't a success Disney wouldn't continue to push for it. 

if it were a success they would be proud to disclose the numbers 

Edited by poncho
  • Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

13 minutes ago, poncho said:

if it were a success they would be proud to disclose the numbers 

Not really.  They haven't released anything concrete about any of their D+ shows.  Just vague platitudes and some relative comparisons.

Like, take this comment about The Falcon and the Winter Soldier:

Disney+ says that The Falcon and The Winter Soldier ranks as the most watched series premiere ever for the streaming service during its opening weekend, Friday, March 19 – Sunday, March 22, and the most watched title overall for the same time period on a global basis, including in Disney+ Hotstar markets. No viewership numbers were provided whatsoever.

Disney+ did not provide any degree of viewers for Falcon and the Winter Soldier specifically in regards to WandaVision‘s weekend premiere or The Mandalorian‘s season 1 or 2’s weekend premieres. The streaming service only mentioned that Falcon, WandaVision and season 2 of Mandalorian are the streaming service’s top three most watched weekend premieres.

I cut off stuff from third party trackers, as it's fairly irrelevant.  Disney itself hasn't released a damn thing except total subscribers.

I personally don't like it one bit, but it doesn't say much about the success, or lack thereof, of Cruella.  

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

For all the handwringing over Cruella probably not having much family appeal, there were a lot of families at my (pretty much sold out with restrictions factored in) showing tonight. Could be a good sign for staying power if it's appealing to multiple demographics.

• Like 4

According to Forbes, Cruella budget is around $ 100M. I doubt they will lose money with this. With the great reception, maybe even a sequel can be made.

"That said, the film only cost around $100 million (most of which is absolutely on the screen, natch)."

• Like 4

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

For all the handwringing over Cruella probably not having much family appeal, there were a lot of families at my (pretty much sold out with restrictions factored in) showing tonight. Could be a good sign for staying power if it's appealing to multiple demographics.

Thought we already realized Disney pretty much got to eat their cake and have it with the appeal for this one

https://deadline.com/2021/05/a-quiet-place-part-ii-cruella-memorial-day-weekend-box-office-1234766021/

On PostTrak, A Quiet Place Part II notched an 83% positive score with a very good 63% definite recommend, while Cruella earned a general audience score of 84% positive and 63% definite recommend. Those under 12 were also high on Cruella, with 84% in the top two boxes and a 68% definite recommend.

Those under 12 scores for Cruella are strong. 

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2021/05/vietnamese-family-drama-bo-gia-shines-at-specialty-box-office-rakes-in-350k-on-memorial-day-weekend-1234766716/

We might finally see some light returning to the specialty box office this Memorial Day weekend.

Bố Già (Dad, I’m Sorry) is a comedy-family drama directed by comedian and Vietnam television host Trấn Thành and Vũ Ngọc Đãng. The movie is an adaptation of a hit web drama that was originally released on YouTube, where it garnered more than 90 million views for its five-episode run.

The film follows the story of Sang, an old motorbike taxi driver from a low-class neighborhood in downtown Saigon, as he struggles to make ends meet for his family.

Estimates have Bố Già earning between $350-380 thousand dollars on 20 screens, give or take. If the 3388 Films-distributed film closes out strong this 4-day weekend, the Vietnamese-language comedy-drama will average $15-20K per screen. To date this year, a limited-release film would be considered to have premiered well if it averaged a grand per screen. Reports say that Vietnamese communities had strong showings in the Southern California, Dallas, Houston and Atlanta markets.

@MrPink your time has come 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Eric De Vil said:

Highest grossing film of all time in Vietnam, almost doubling Endgame the previous record holder

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Eh, at this point, I can't really guess properly. With the pandemic, it's hard to really give a proper number. Every movie is a wild card.

Haha, fair enough.    

If it does 600M I’d guess something like 210 China, 120 DOM, 270 OS-C. I’d call that “weak but not disastrous given the circumstances” for DOM and OS-C, full on cratering re China.

On 5/27/2021 at 7:56 PM, WandaLegion said:

From keyser update I’ll go 5->50->57 for AQP and 1.6->24.5->30 for Cruella

Weaker than expected AQP Sun puts that 4-day right on the money. Don’t suppose we can gin up a stronger than expected Sun for Cruella 👀

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

My guess is Cruella will hold well due to there being literally no family oriented film that could also appeal to adults until July. Heights might also be able to capture that and it’s honestly the main reason I’ve been confused for so long about Luca skipping theaters lol

2 minutes ago, Blankments said:

My guess is Cruella will hold well due to there being literally no family oriented film that could also appeal to adults until July. Heights might also be able to capture that and it’s honestly the main reason I’ve been confused for so long about Luca skipping theaters lol

The disrespect to Peter Rabbit 2

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

The internal multiplier is quite weak....not even 10x from preview 

1) lets see the actuals first, 2) the first one had 11,5x from preview , so a quiet place 2 has around 9,5-10x from previews , imo thats very normal bc its a sequel and sequels are more frontloaded anyways and at the same time its not under normal conditions

Edited by john2000
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, john2000 said:

1) lets see the actuals first, 2) the first one had 11,5x from preview , so a quiet place 2 has around 9,5-10x from previews , imo thats very normal bc its a sequel and sequels are more frontloaded anyways and at the same time its not under normal conditions

Maybe normal for a sequel but not very good for a sequel debut during holiday with good word of mouth and reviews. Even POTC5 that have poorer reception still managed to get 11.5x and AQP2 is hardly a fan-driven film in any sense. I can only think of it is possible that the movie is burning off the target audience that willing to show up to the theater. 

14 minutes ago, john2000 said:

When are actuals getting released. Today ?