cax16

The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim | December 13, 2024 | New Line/WB | Anime | Kenji Kamiyama directing.

This looks so cheap. As a normie Id have no idea this was related to LOTRs.  

Box office im thinking Star Wars Clone Wars from August 2008 type numbers....just super die hard fans showing up and no one else.

• Like 1

That animation definitely does not look like something worthy of a theatrical release. This looks like it easily could’ve been a Max release. Also, beginning the trailer with footage from the Peter Jackson movies seems pathetically desperate. It’s not only nostalgia bait, but the way it’s presented almost makes it seem like a fake-out. 

• Like 2

So basically, Disney turns a series into  a gorgeous looking movie, while WB is having a pretty cheap looking animation  feature movie, that should be a cheap streaming series. 

Well, Disney² and Universal to save the holiday season. 

• Like 1

Not gonna lie, as a Vinland Saga fan myself, Im'm REALLY digging this stuff. It's right on my wheelhouse.

I'm just glad we´re getting a big 2D animated film distributed by an american studio once again.

I'm really disappointed, I was looking forward this. A big budget 2D movie what else could I ask for. But the still images look fine but anything in motion looks so off. And it has the very stitled and dry voice acting of a dub (live action and anime dubs tend to have the same issues). The intro being the movies was weird but I would've been fine ignoring that if it had some really quality animation. I doubt the budget was actually big at all. 

Oh well. 

• Like 1

People complaining seem to have never watched anime. And the revered Ghibli films (love Mononoke!) look pretty much just like that, with slightly differing art style. That's anime for you, choppiness and all.

Going in with the right expectations, i like what i see, especially the Japanese trailer. I said from the beginning, don't expect big box office returns, the brand will help a little but this style of animation has had a niche existence in the so called west.

Modern Ghibli flows better than that. There just is a certain noticeable aesthetic difference between their movies and the things you see on Netflix and adult swim. They feel made for theaters while this doesn't so much.

I wouldn't say this didn't meet my expectations, but it didn't do much to improve my general sour feeling towards the whole business strategy with this. If it does mean Warner legit decides to invest more in theatrical anime that'd be great, but as of now it still just seems like a placeholder so they can keep making live action tolkienverse movies later.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

Anime budgets are usually on the low side so even with the LOTR IP. The fact Warner Bros Animation is involved makes me think the budget is not high. If it costs $20-25m then it'll probably make money.

I’m admittedly not a big anime watcher, but the animation here definitely doesn’t look up to par with Studio Ghibli. It looks closer to a Netflix anime, which is fine for television, but for a cinematic release, it comes off as underwhelming. 

Edited by WittyUsername

Well, once again in the reactions to this we see the Huge gap that has opened between the Tolkine fans and the LOTR fans when it comes to the spinoffs.

I don't hide I am a Tolkien fan and have low opinion of spinoffs.

10 hours ago, AniNate said:

Modern Ghibli flows better than that. There just is a certain noticeable aesthetic difference between their movies and the things you see on Netflix and adult swim. They feel made for theaters while this doesn't so much.

I wouldn't say this didn't meet my expectations, but it didn't do much to improve my general sour feeling towards the whole business strategy with this. If it does mean Warner legit decides to invest more in theatrical anime that'd be great, but as of now it still just seems like a placeholder so they can keep making live action tolkienverse movies later.

My main quarel lis standard ANime style animation if not a good fit for Tolkien. Now Ghibli would be interesting doing this, but then they really don't do standard anime stuff.

I can't see this doing good business, period.

Edited by dudalb

On 8/22/2024 at 2:41 PM, SpiderByte said:

Looks fun though I'm still not sold on the art style. It really feels like without the title this would be hard to distinguish from just an anime fantasy movie

Which is my whole quarrel with the Tolkine spinoffs. They lose what is unique about Tolkien's Middle Earth, and turn into just another run of the mill fantasy.

I have to agree with the guy here who said he hates Tolkien being turned into a franchise.

On 8/22/2024 at 2:16 PM, SnokesLegs said:

Unfortunately I agree. Someone earlier said $300 million worldwide, I think half of that if it’s lucky. It’s just too much of a swing to go for full blown anime.

And that opening part of the trailer is so awkwardly done.

That use of the Jackson footage just will turn off the Tolkein fans..as opposed to the LOTR fans...even more.

This will come down to the reviews and word of mouth for me to watch it in theaters. The trailer was solid but didn't sell the concept to me. I appreciate the venture to adult animation though