WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 18.79M (34% drop!) | PAW Patrol 13M, Jungle Cruise 6.2M | Protégé 2.9M, Night House 2.87M, Legendary Flop Reminiscence 2M (Worst opening for a movie in 3K theaters!)

35 minutes ago, Free Eric said:

I've talked about this last week, but PAW Patrol is arguably the biggest non-Disney thing for little kids right now

Living next door to a family with a 4 year old, I can second this. It's the biggest non-Frozen thing among toddlers and the biggest thing among little boys. 

53 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Reminiscence massive bomb , even had some IMAX screens

Isn't doing well at all here in Singapore nor Hong Kong; rare for a WB film to flop in these markets. TSS did well in both markets...

Reminiscenes is taking up IMAX and a lot of showtimes too in many markets.. what a waste of screens.

1 hour ago, Borobudur said:

I won't be surprise Sony will suddenly switch Venom back to its earlier slot if SC breakout. 

They should. 

I'm gonna be pissed if nothing from October moves up. Jackass could move up to that September 24 spot. Venom could move back up (though it would be an awkward move met with a lot of WTFs from the media), Bond could move up to October 1, maybe giving Halloween Kills room to move up to October 8.

Something like that NEEDS to happen. If Halloween Kills and Venom 2 open on the same day, wtf are they gonna do about IMAX and Dolby screens??

Edited by Pinacolada

29 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

$14 million for a movie on Paramount+/torrents, and not showing in Regal’s theaters is extremely solid. So much for the media narrative that parents aren’t taking their kids to the movies! Lol. 

Maybe MGM should have held out a couple of days before deciding to go simultaneous PVOD with Addams 2.  Especially after HT4 bailed and left them free reign. 

I mean, as good as Paw Patrol's numbers are (especially for its TV-on-the-big-screen nature) it's still going to make less than $60M total and there is still yet to be a family movie make anything above that mark throughout the whole pandemic (titles like Cruella and Jungle Cruise and Space Jam are excluded since they're aimed at a broader audience). With the vaccine situation for children under 12 (the primary audience for these movies) still up in the air, hybrid releases (or just skipping theaters completely like Luca and Hotel Transylvania 4 did) will be common for movies aimed at that demographic for the foreseeable future.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Living next door to a family with a 4 year old, I can second this. It's the biggest non-Frozen thing among toddlers and the biggest thing among little boys. 

Cocomelon might end up stealing Patrol's thunder tho. Don't know if that will translate to a movie as easily, but I would love to hear Wheels on the Bus on IMAX surround sound.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I mean, as good as Paw Patrol's numbers are (especially for its TV-on-the-big-screen nature) it's still going to make less than $60M total and there is still yet to be a family movie make anything above that mark throughout the whole pandemic (titles like Cruella and Jungle Cruise and Space Jam are excluded since they're aimed at a broader audience). With the vaccine situation for children under 12 (the primary audience for these movies) still up in the air, hybrid releases (or just skipping theaters completely like Luca and Hotel Transylvania 4 did) will be common for movies aimed at that demographic for the foreseeable future.

Agreed...Paw Patrol's open is a win, but in the smallest form.  I actually think with fall coming and many small and medium theaters shutting weekdays in whole or in part again (and the part that would close is Paw Patrol's "draw" time of 1st and 2nd showings), it's gonna come in under $50M...but I guess if every family movie gets out of the way, it could crawl above it...

Families are still not turning out...not in any kind of "real" numbers...and that's not gonna improve into the fall no matter what happens with delta...

Edited by TwoMisfits

4 minutes ago, JWR said:

How does that bode for Encanto?

1 minute ago, AJG said:

Xmas day release on D+ incoming.

That's probably about right, to keep last year's subscribers re-upping for next year...

I have said for months, I see Ron's Gone Wrong going full theatrical in Encanto's Thanksgiving spot...and probably doing okay b/c of its material...

1 minute ago, AJG said:

Xmas day release on D+ incoming.

With families still not quite coming back to theaters and children still not being vaccinated, this scenario is looking more likely.

2 hours ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Free Guy might win next weekend too 

11 hours ago, Lokis Legion said:

Free Guy could be the only summer movie to rack up 3 #1s if Candyman comes in on the soft side.

Tardy to the party ;)

Anyway it wouldn't be that outlandish to get like 19M this weekend and 14M next weekend, let's see.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

That's probably about right, to keep last year's subscribers re-upping for next year...

I have said for months, I see Ron's Gone Wrong going full theatrical in Encanto's Thanksgiving spot...and probably doing okay b/c of its material...

Disney has a big thing set for the weekend before Thanksgiving (and the movie's opening weekend) at the Contemporary Resort in Disney World that's primarily promoting Encanto so it's likely locked into staying where it is (no matter how they ultimately decide to put it out into the world). Sing 2 is still set for Christmas as well (though wouldn't be surprised if that also ends up a simultaneous release as well).

C'mon guys, Encanto is a theatrical exclusive Thanksgiving release.   

By Sep 10, the movies over 100M DOM will be:

2 Disney PA

2 dis exclusive

1 uni

1 Paramount

1 WB free streaming

And a Disney theatrical releasing in two weeks will be the first post pandemic movie over 200M

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

C'mon guys, Encanto is a theatrical exclusive Thanksgiving release.   

By Sep 10, the movies over 100M DOM will be:

2 Disney PA

2 dis exclusive

1 uni

1 Paramount

1 WB free streaming

And a Disney theatrical releasing in two weeks will be the first post pandemic movie over 200M

I won't rule out anything, especially with the aforementioned vaccine situation for its primary target audience (children under 12) looking unlikely to be resolved anytime soon.

• Like 1