WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 18.79M (34% drop!) | PAW Patrol 13M, Jungle Cruise 6.2M | Protégé 2.9M, Night House 2.87M, Legendary Flop Reminiscence 2M (Worst opening for a movie in 3K theaters!)

32 minutes ago, Free Eric said:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I didn't expect much from Candyman even back in 2019. Peele's name aside, Candyman was never that popular of a horror series to begin with (I never even heard of it prior to this new movie's announcement) and while I think the film looks good, nothing about the trailers make me think it was going to be some massive breakout. When the trailer dropped, more people were talking about Nia DaCosta's name not being credited on the trade's headlines than the movie itself IIRC (which I fully supported and was all for I might add), so I don't really think people were buzzing that much for the movie itself. Could very well be wrong though, and I'm rooting for it regardless

Didn't we just find out for horror, that the singular name might be a huge influence...now, is Peele an M Night?  I think he might be, but I'm not really a big horror fan or goer...

24 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Deadline says 1.1M for Protege and 666k for Reminiscence :Venom: Also, what a headline: ‘Paw Patrol’ Arrests $13M+

https://deadline.com/2021/08/ryan-reynolds-free-guy-paw-patrol-weekend-box-office-1234819266/

F9 audience for Paw Patrol...in family form...

"Diversity demos were 35% Latino, 32% White, 13% Black, 10% Asian/other. Best markets for Paw Patrol were in the mid and South-west as well as Canada which we hear is overindexing."

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Glad Free Guy is blocking Paw Patrol for #1. Hopefully it moves out of the way for Candyman though lol

Same I want  Nia to get no. 1 as well. Plus , movie is getting good reviews I think it will outperform expectations 

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

F9 audience for Paw Patrol...in family form...

"Diversity demos were 35% Latino, 32% White, 13% Black, 10% Asian/other. Best markets for Paw Patrol were in the mid and South-west as well as Canada which we hear is overindexing."

Is Paw-Patrol really that popular in North America , I am surprised ?

16 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Didn't we just find out for horror, that the singular name might be a huge influence...now, is Peele an M Night?  I think he might be, but I'm not really a big horror fan or goer...

Well yeah both Shyamalan and Peele have fanbases, and both movies will do fine financially as low-budget titles, but it's not like Old opened that high. 

11 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Is Paw-Patrol really that popular in North America , I am surprised ?

I've talked about this last week, but PAW Patrol is arguably the biggest non-Disney thing for little kids right now, at least in the States. They're all over retail shelves and my sister used to work at a daycare and she told me that those kids were crazy for those puppies and especially their toys. The battles of these four-year-olds over who gets to play with what were apparently quite intense, though she did get a few good opportunities to teach her kids the value of sharing.

• Like 4

Stealing this from @Ezen Baklattan, but Reminiscence, if that 2.4M opening from Deadline holds, will topple Rhythm Section to become the worst opening ever for a movie in 3,000+ theaters. For all we know, it could go even lower, and then we're approaching Friend Request/Life Itself levels.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 2

$14 million for a movie on Paramount+/torrents, and not showing in Regal’s theaters is extremely solid. So much for the media narrative that parents aren’t taking their kids to the movies! Lol. 

Maybe MGM should have held out a couple of days before deciding to go simultaneous PVOD with Addams 2.  Especially after HT4 bailed and left them free reign. 

Reminiscence honestly had some pretty interesting ideas. Not particularly good movie, but it’s definitely more memorable than The Protege, which honestly it’s been less than 24 hours since I saw it and I can’t remember a single thing from it (except SLJ’s “motherf***er”). Nothing distinguishes it from any other action film out there.

The thing that bothers me about The Protege is that Michael Keaton has top billing in the trailer despite the fact that Maggie Q is the main character. How much money did Keaton demand so that he would be the first name listed?

3 minutes ago, Free Eric said:

The thing that bothers me about The Protege is that Michael Keaton has top billing in the trailer despite the fact that Maggie Q is the main character. How much money did Keaton demand so that he would be the first name listed?

finally got his own version of Nicholson getting first billing for Batman. happy for him.

• Haha 3