WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread: Candyman 22.37M OW | Free Guy 13.5M, PAW Patrol 6.6M, Jungle Cruise 5M

2750 theatres for previews, exact same as Old.

Candyman expands to 3569 today, Old expanded to 3355. 

Old did 11.23x its preview, but I know Candyman will be more frontloaded because it’s a brand. Hoping it can get to high teens. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

2750 theatres for previews, exact same as Old.

Candyman expands to 3569 today, Old expanded to 3355. 

Old did 11.23x its preview, but I know Candyman will be more frontloaded because it’s a brand. Hoping it can get to high teens. 

17-18 seems like a safe bet. Although it's over indexing in MTC so let's see

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Really disappointing number :( Hopefully Shang Chi does well enough next weekend to keep most of the fall slate frozen.

I said this earlier also but it was dismissed. I still think lot is riding on Shang-Chi for future prospect of not only MCU releases but movies in general. 

I think 70m+ 4-day will help in keeping the momentum alive. 

Edited by Madhuvan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

I said this earlier also but it was dismissed. I still think lot is riding on Shang-Chi for future prospect of not only MCU releases but movies in general. 

It cannot be understated how do or die Shang-Chi making 50m 3-day is for us having fun and going to the movies this fall.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

I think Shang Chi is only gonna dictate supers and super-blockbusters' fall strategy...it's gonna have little to no effect on midsize budget/draws and smaller movies b/c they are riding and dying on the 3 main theaters (and some of the lesser ones) subscriber bases, not general audiences...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I think Shang Chi is only gonna dictate supers and super-blockbusters' fall strategy...it's gonna have little to no effect on midsize budget/draws and smaller movies b/c they are riding and dying on the 3 main theaters (and some of the lesser ones) subscriber bases, not general audiences...

Last year, the smaller and mid-sized movies were never able to settle and stay because they didn't have tentpoles to build around because Tenet and WW84 kept moving. That's why these movies are called tentpoles - they are the foundations from which the rest of the schedule and business blooms. If they move out, the smaller movies move out too. If Bond and Eternals and Spider-Man all stay put, then they'll stay put too.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Last year, the smaller and mid-sized movies were never able to settle and stay because they didn't have tentpoles to build around because Tenet and WW84 kept moving. That's why these movies are called tentpoles - they are the foundations from which the rest of the schedule and business blooms. If they move out, the smaller movies move out too. If Bond and Eternals and Spider-Man all stay put, then they'll stay put too.

No, they moved out b/c there were no subscriber bases last year.  Regal was shut, many AMCs were, too, and those 2 bases are the "most often goers" b/c they are 3 movies/week vs Cinemark's 1/month.  

Now, all 3 (plus the lessers) have their subscription plans active and rolling...it's a different environment for those movies than last fall, although it's not very different for the blockbusters if they still can't pull in the non-subscribing general audiences in any real numbers...blockbusters live and die on GA...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Really disappointing number :( Hopefully Shang Chi does well enough next weekend to keep most of the fall slate frozen.

Why would $25m budgeted Candyman opening high teens and getting the second best horror preview number of the year make other smaller budgeted films move? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Why would $25m budgeted Candyman opening high teens and getting the second best horror preview number of the year make other smaller budgeted films move? 

I'm expecting it to have a terrible preview to weekend IM as a known IP with likely tough WOM, but I do think high teens would be more than fine if it does end up there.

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

No, they moved out b/c there were no subscriber bases last year.  Regal was shut, many AMCs were, too, and those 2 bases are the "most often goers" b/c they are 3 movies/week vs Cinemark's 1/month.  

Now, all 3 (plus the lessers) have their subscription plans active and rolling...it's a different environment for those movies than last fall, although it's not very different for the blockbusters if they still can't pull in the non-subscribing general audiences in any real numbers...blockbusters live and die on GA...

Just to add on.  AMC paused the A-List in March 2020 and did not automatically re-enroll members back until July 2021.

• Like 1