WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread: Candyman 22.37M OW | Free Guy 13.5M, PAW Patrol 6.6M, Jungle Cruise 5M

45 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Is it like 9.5 or just above 9. From MTC tracking I thought $9.4M atleast.

I think more like $9.2m, but as you know it is tough to tell exactly until the studio gives the official.  I would say closer to $9m than $9.5m if that makes sense.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/28/2021 at 7:43 PM, EmpireCity said:

I think more like $9.2m, but as you know it is tough to tell exactly until the studio gives the official.  I would say closer to $9m than $9.5m if that makes sense.  

Can you look up an Indian movie Chal Mera Putt 2. Possibly with CAN bifurcation & locs polled. @EmpireCity

Edited by charlie Jatinder

https://deadline.com/2021/08/candyman-posts-sweet-thursday-night-with-1-9m-1234823246/

Saturday AM Update: Refresh for more analysis and chart In the wake of a CinemaCon which rallied hopes that exhibition would indeed rise from the ashes of a pandemic and an industry intoxicated by streaming comes Universal/MGM/Monkeypaw’s reboot of 1990s horror IP Candyman which is bound for a $20.7M weekend opening. Not only does the debut indicate the continued appetite for moviegoing among the 18-34 bunch, which turned out at 71% here, but it’s a solid opening for a horror movie during late August, which isn’t exactly a primetime for the box office. Candyman is on a theatrical window.

The Jordan Peele brand here on Candyman as producer and co-writer make a difference, coupled with great reviews now at 85% certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. The audience scores are a bit less stellar than the critical praise, so hopefully that doesn’t diminish Saturday night business with the Nia DaCosta directed and co-written feature getting a B CinemaScore, average for a genre pic, and a 72% positive score and 56% recommend on Comscore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak. Big diverse turnout here for the horror film starring HBO Watchmen‘s Yahya Abdul-Mateen II with 37% Black, 22% Latino, 29% White and 12% Asian/other turning out. Candyman leaned toward males at 53%, with close to 60% over 25. The horror pic played best on the East and West coasts and the South. The Mid-West was also very strong with Chicago slotting five out of the top ten theatrical runs. Premium large format screens are currently driving close to a quarter of all domestic ticket sales.

Also amazing here at in the late summer frame is the third weekend hold of Disney/20th Century Studios’ Free Guy which is expected to ease -30% in weekend 3 with $12.9M. The Ryan Reynolds movie will stand at $78.7M by the end of the weekend. Yesterday the pic grossed $3.6M at 3,940 theaters, -31% from its second Friday.

Other Disney exclamations include Jungle Cruise which will stand $300K short of the $100M by EOD Sunday. Despite the great hold on this Dwayne Johnson-Emily Blunt theme park inspired adventure, which in weekend 5 at 3,370 theaters is expected to do $4.6M, -26% in 4th place, we cannot deny the fact that the gross for this movie would be significantly more, and would have crossed the century mark faster, without its day-and-date on Disney+ Premier for $29.99.

Paramount/Spin Master’s Paw Patrol in third place at 3,189 locations posted a second Friday of $1.75M, for a 3-day of $6M, -54%, for a ten-day of $23.4M. The pic is available free in-home to Paramount+ subscribers. Despite the day-and-date release of the animated feature, and it’s unavailability at Regal Theaters, exhibitors at CinemaCon were rather happy with the pic’s performance last weekend.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Candyman really is going over 20M OW. Fantastic number that should calm the big studios. Now Shang-Chi really needs a strong performance next weekend.

Another good hold for Free Guy as well. 100M are guaranteed. Hopefully it keeps the momentum against Shang-Chi.

• Like 5
  • Astonished 2

Candyman 21M with a decent Cinemascore (should finish above 50M)

Free Guy dropping only 29-30% once again, 100M is locked.

Jungle Cruise will pass 100M by Monday with another great hold around 25% or so.

Things are looking promising, now let's just wait Shang Chi.

• Like 2

Honestly I can't wait for Shang-Chi to come out only because this is the one film I've got the trailer for with almost every movie I've watched over the past month and I'm sick of seeing it. Made even worse because I've already seen the movie, so they're trying to hype me on something I've already seen. It sucks!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Eric Robitaille said:

Honestly I can't wait for Shang-Chi to come out only because this is the one film I've got the trailer for with almost every movie I've watched over the past month and I'm sick of seeing it. Made even worse because I've already seen the movie, so they're trying to hype me on something I've already seen. It sucks!

dont worry you will have eternals next 

• Like 1

Great start for Candyman, which should see low-$20M for the weekend and $50M-60M total overall. Universal ended up having a pretty good summer between F9 making a ton of cash plus Forever Purge, Old and Candyman as low-budget wins (Spirit Untamed and Boss Baby 2 both fizzled but hey, what can you do).

https://deadline.com/2021/08/candyman-posts-sweet-thursday-night-with-1-9m-1234823246/

Don't think this was posted yet.

1.) Candyman (Uni) 3,569 theaters Fri $9.1M/3-day $20.7M/Wk 1

2.) Free Guy (Dis/20th) 3,940 (-225) theaters Fri $3.6M (-31%)/3-day $12.9M (-30%)/Total $78.7M/Wk 3

3.) Paw Patrol (Par) 3,189 (+5) theaters Fri $1.75M (-61%)/3-day $6M (-54%)/Total $23.4M/Wk 2

4.) Jungle Cruise (Dis) 3,370 (-205) theaters Fri $1.3M (-26%)/3-day $4.6M (-26%)/Total $99.7M/Wk 5

5.) Don’t Breathe 2 (Sony) 2,703 (-302) theaters Fri $785K (-48%)/3-day $2.5M (-50%)/Total: $24.2M/Wk 3

6.) Respect (UAR) 2,607 (-600) theaters Fri $629K (-42%)/3-day $2.18M (-42%)/Total $19.65M/Wk 3

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Looks like Paw Patrol was quite frontloaded, albeit to little surprise.

Free Guy and Jungle Cruise both looking at great holds too. The former should see another amazing hold next weekend between the 4-day holiday + possible Shang-Chi spillover effect while the latter is hitting $100M soon.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh I think things were a bit over the top at first in the Candyman thread yesterday lol.

A “B” Cinemascore is absolutely fine for a horror film. I guessed, because the ending was so satisfying, that it wouldn’t be in the C’s.

the ending is the least satisfying part of Candyman tho

• Like 1