Eric the Ape

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

I agree with most of what Patty said, aside from calling the films “fake”.

But the main problem is, apart from a few: once they’re out no one really ever talks about them or watches them ever again.

With a theatrical film we get a teasers,  posters, more than one trailer, release date, tv spots, online campaigns, buzz, hype, box office run, home video debut etc. The life of a film was like 5 months. These streaming films often have a life of 12 hours max. 99% of the time there is usually no legacy, aside from the Oscar bait. 

• Like 8

Streaming is mostly an abyss. The main problem is lack of sustainability 

Films with theatrical releases can control their destiny better. Just look at Free Guy. Knives Out is another example, a holiday hit that legged out with adult audiences for months. And of course indie films which are platformed for months during Oscar season. Parasite, Lady Bird, Moonlight, Manchester By the Sea.. these are films that would get lost in the algorithm of streaming instead of building word of mouth 

• Like 5

If you have not seen the movie, I would not watch any of Marvel’s TV or Twitter ads. They have zero chill. They’re like look at our new Avenger, and look at all of this actually really spoiler filled footage that were showing you. 😂😂 Just FYI for folks

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Cap said:

If you have not seen the movie, I would not watch any of Marvel’s TV or Twitter ads. They have zero chill. They’re like look at our new Avenger, and look at all of this actually really spoiler filled footage that were showing you. 😂😂 Just FYI for folks

Gonna unfollow/unsub Marvel for time being then.

16 minutes ago, Cap said:

I think their policy at this point is like “we’ll cut advertising that holds a lot back at first, if you care about spoilers a lot go OD cause after that we’ re gonna unleash the floodgates of more revealing stuff to try to entice people who weren’t enticed enough by the circumspect stuff” :hahaha:

Expecting much the same from Eternals. Trailers have shown even less than Shang-Chi, but watch a tv spot on OW Sunday and maybe you’ll see an important 3rd act battle or something 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

I think their policy at this point is like

Usually they wait until Monday. So watching them say fuck it at like 4 o’clock on Saturday morning is a really funny to me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MrPink said:

100 likes and I unleash CJohn's private pics to the world.

Pathetic emote turnout here folks. We should be able to do better than this on the OW thread of the biggest movie since TROS 😒

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Aren't the studios just responding to public demand and modern distribution methods?

We no longer live in a time where Goodfellas would make double it's budget in theaters then a ton from dvd sales. People are mostly willing to go see franchise films and watch everything else on streaming which makes the adult market highly saturated. So it's nearly impossible to release a Martin Scorsese film that is mainstream and popular.

For a lot of people theaters are mostly “that place I see new superhero movies a couple times a year.” 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

A cinemascore is mostly guaranteed could come close to A+ but that's too much to ask. I see reception in line with first Guardians movie which is great. 

99% RT verified should get A+ frankly but then Cruella didn't despite 98% (now 97%) and trending like A+.

I think 95-96%+ like Maoyan 9.5+ are A+, while 90-95% are A ish.

And now let's see who post the score first.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

3 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Man good times that club and period of time

Took me way too long to realize you meant my sig 🤣

Hoping to add another good times with a club to my collection here. We’re live as long as the previews are like 9.3+

• Haha 1

Just now, Lokis Legion said:

Took me way too long to realize you meant my sig 🤣

Hoping to add another good times with a club to my collection here. We’re live as long as the previews are like 9.3+

I'll be honest after I wrote it I realised it was your sig and not just a message. Which made more sense why it was popping up everywhere lol

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Lokis Legion said:

For a lot of people theaters are mostly “that place I see new superhero movies a couple times a year.” 

At my theater they played a promo for Regal Crown Club before the movie saying “You get points for each movie you watch this year: Black Widow, Shang-Chi, and Eternals.” And showed how much points you get for watching three movies. That got a chuckle out of me but it’s also kind of sad. 

Edited by Nerfy