Eric Duncan

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

19 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

well put. Exactly my thoughts on this. Shang-Chi is doing good for itself but idk how other Studios will feel , they are probably not gonna wait to see legs which I think will be really good considering the reception 

I will say this though, I do feel more confident in most of the slate being theatrical. A 56-60/68-72 opening is still excellent. Bond is staying this year audiences be damned, MGM is not financially 100%, and I am much more confident on Eternals staying purely theatrical than I was say August (if NWH does get delayed, either it or Ghostbusters will go to Christmas). The only real things I could see moving into 2022 is probably NWH which again I think they’ll wait until after NTTD and Venom 2 openings as I imagine a second trailer likely wouldn’t be until November anyways.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

This is a perfectly great (and very lucky) number for Shang Chi since previews were definitely affected by Ida in the NE. In NYC subways weren't properly restored until this morning(and it's still running some route changes and partial suspensions), there was basically no subway in Queens yesterday except for the 7 train, and Queens has a huge Asian population. I'm sure previews would have been over 9m under normal circumstances. 

• Like 4

Looks like a solid number to me. Let's see how the weekend plays out now.

How much will people be willing to see a movie rather than be outside with friends. That is sort of the variable to me.

But i'm pleased with the preview number. I think this is an important release for Disney just in terms of figuring out what their model is going to be going forward. Will they go to a dedicated movie premiere in 2022 or are they going to move more toward moe premieres with a PA option.

Just now, Lion Roar said:

This is a perfectly great (and very lucky) number for Shang Chi since previews were definitely affected by Ida in the NE. In NYC subways weren't properly restored until this morning(and it's still running some route changes and partial suspensions), there was basically no subway in Queens yesterday except for the 7 train, and Queens has a huge Asian population. I'm sure previews would have been over 9m under normal circumstances. 

there is always friday

16 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Only talk of 9-9.5m seems to have caused some kind of panic. Next time @charlie Jatinder, whatever you're thinking, adjust it down 10% so we can avoid the shenanigans.

In my head I had already adjusted them down, though probably should have kept it 9-9.2M instead of 9-9.5.

But 200-300k hardly matters.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Shang-Chi might be able to hold onto the PLF/IMAX auditoriums for over a month until Bond comes out which should help it with staying power. Though we probably shouldn't rule out the chance Ben Platt's goofy wig gets a surprise PLF announcement at the last minute.

DEH will get Dolby and theater based PLFs at the very least. I'd imagine IMAX will happen too.

29 minutes ago, MrPink said:

If NWH is moving, it's not because of this number, it's because Sony already made up their minds. 70m 4-day definitely makes 200m a good target.

And yes I think it's going higher than that too.

But $200M Dom/ $200M Int is $400M WW and a financial theatrical flop...supers can't live on INT not being there...

That said, I don't think Sony's moving...I think Disney may day and date Eternals if those are the numbers we get b/c they are no better than BW's totals, and BW got the extra $100Mish in PA...

• ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Under $9m by 2.23%    That's disappointing?

Again, looking at past internal multiplers and a holiday Monday SC has a greater chance of hitting $70 for 3 days than  4 days

Tbf disappointment is on myself as again I let the late night stuff inflate my expectations and I did re-edit my comment as again it came off too doomscroll-y.

Out of curiosity about the comparisons, how much of those were for films opening that weekend.

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

But $200M Dom/ $200M Int is $400M WW and a financial theatrical flop...supers can't live on INT not being there...

That said, I don't think Sony's moving...I think Disney may day and date Eternals if those are the numbers we get b/c they are no better than BW's totals, and BW got the extra $100Mish in PA...

I agree, but the failure lies way more on the international side. But I'm not sure what the solution is for that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

the money that bw got wasnt newfound thought and also ... if shang chi manages 400 mill without china that would be very very decent, the budget is 150 mill close to antman 1  135.... antman 1 made 400-410 mill without china.... and in the end after china and everything it made 100 mill in profit thats more than what bw can say

• Like 1

Just now, MrPink said:

I agree, but the failure lies way more on the international side. But I'm not sure what the solution is for that.

most of mcu new sh entries (other than captain marvel and bw) make 400-500 mill WITHOUT CHINA , if shang lands there then thats right in the ballpark

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

That's not a flop though. Budget is around 150-160m and Shang-Chi marketing was just started in April. 

if 200m in US that will give them around 120m and 80m from international. This is not counting China and this will have a good life on PVOD and Physical sales before coming to Disney+ for free. 

• Like 1

can people explain to me why free guy which had a budget of  125 mill will finish with 350 mill or so with china and it is considered as a success( which it is) but IF shang manages 400-420 mill WITHOUT china  it will be considered a flop ? the multi in relation to the budget will be 2,8 from both and one of then (shang )wont have china (for now).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Personally I think they should PA everything till things get better. This has nothing to do with SC numbers but it gives consumers (like me) more options and gives them another revenue stream. 

People who want to go to the theatre are going anyways and people like me who want to see the movie and who may not be comfortable going to a theatre have the option to pay the PA fee and watch at home.

I’m not looking to argue with people about this, it’s just my opinion. 

• Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1