MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

2 hours ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Just finished watching it in IMAX, incredible visuals (that speech scene... holy), incredible soundtrack, but altogether it kinda falls flat because it's hard to decipher what the characters are saying. And this is kinda important in a 3-hour biopic. Watch with open-captions if you can.

Damn, sorry to hear this. For once, it seems like I got lucky with the sound mixing in my IMAX auditorium

• Like 1

This is definitely going to require a second viewing, because the last hour truly brings everything that preceded it into sharp focus in typical Nolan fashion. For right now, I still hold some issue with the formative years of Oppenheimer (roughly first 30 minutes). It seems almost arbitrary in retrospect despite one moral choice early on concerning an apple. I might change my mind on repeated viewings.

Other than that, what an amazing historical and political epic. I do enjoy how Nolan treated the big moment with respect. Instead of making it a moment of spectacle, he allows the viewer to contend with the weight of the world changing event in silence. What many were expecting to be the loudest scene is actually one of the quietest moments in the film. Also, it goes without saying the 70mm presentation was second to none. I will be seeing it again next weekend in standard IMAX, but I doubt it will feel the same.

Edited by ThePhasmid
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

There's nothing wrong with the score, I love loud as fuck shit too (Spiderverse is my #1 movie this year for that). It's how it's mixed in with the heavy dialogue that for me, was a problem. It's not just me, my parents who I watched it with had the same complaint, it's hard to follow the dialogue and if you can't follow the dialogue in one scene it can make later scenes confusing. Like I got the general gist of the movie but I feel like I missed a LOT of finer details because I couldn't hear everything. Maybe it was my showing (IMAX was LOUD), but in any case I think I'll enjoy this a lot more when I watch it again with subtitles.

I honestly could barely understand Pugh. She talks so softly and the background music ever present. 

I was enthralled start to finish.

Thought this was quite simply a masterpiece of film making and Nolan's magnum opus. Every performance was incredible.

I'll be thinking about this movie for a while and I would be shocked if this didn't get a bunch of Oscar wins.

10/10

• Like 3

This was a masterpiece. All Hail Papa Nolan.  Still trying to process this.  I think Nolan might finally get his Oscar for director and best picture Murphy front runner for best actor and RDJ for supporting.  Seems like it will be Scorsese vs Nolan at the Oscars.  Also save a few times I did not have a hard time hearing the dialogue. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jedijake said:

So how's the prospect for $300 million domestic looking for this?

Needs to match Dunkirk's multiplier to get there. Seems pretty difficult, but we shall see. One of our insiders (Charlie) is projecting a sub-40% drop from Sunday to Monday, which would be pretty insane. Here are Nolan's previous Sunday to Monday drops in July: 

-44% for TDK in 2008

-47% for Inception in 2010

-51% for Dunkirk in 2017

-52% for TDKR in 2012

TDK had a 3.36 multiplier and Inception had a 4.66 multiplier. If Oppenheimer pulls off a better drop than TDK or Inception for Monday, it would seem to be heading for at least $250M domestic at bare minimum. That's a 3.05 multiplier.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2023 at 2:01 AM, Ozymandias said:

The accessible PG-13 "Yeah science!" movie already exists, its called The Martian.

This is very much a historical drama.

I think Nolan's achievement here is even bigger. He basically make a sci-non-fiction historical drama. The last great example I can recall, by blending science element this well with social-politics, is Arrival. 

On 7/13/2023 at 4:11 AM, iamjesuisiam said:

Christopher Nolan draws inspiration from "JFK" and "Lawrence of Arabia" to tell a dense and essential story; which has never been so relevant.

Superb photograhy by Hoyte van Hoytema, masterful music by Ludwig Göransson. The alternation of black and white to adopt two points of view is remarkable.

To be honest, I love Ludwig' score more than zimmer's in a Nolan film. Nolan film has been emotionally cold (except Interstellar) and I don't think zimmer has done enough job (If he ever intended) to moderate that. Ludwig successfully inject emotional power into typical cool-looking Nolan's artistic style and supplement his direction. Like how James Horner used his score to "cover-up" Cameron's weakness in dialogue.     

21 hours ago, excel1 said:

I honestly could barely understand Pugh. She talks so softly and the background music ever present. 

Typical Nolan weak point, the female characters being shite. Jean and Kitty both severely underwritten and didnt get much to do.

3 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Disagree. Jean had a small role, but that's because she had a short episode in Oppenheimer's life, albeit very important one. Kitty has hands down the best scene in the film and might land Emily an Oscar nod.

Yeah, imo there's a big difference between OPPENHEIMER'S treatment of women in the context of its greater narrative and something like TENET

without spoilers, as dont want to get suspended - what scene do you think Emily would get awards nod for? She didnt have much to do in the whole film imo, other than her face reacting to things Oppenheimer says. didn't seem like a real character.

3 minutes ago, Avatree said:

without spoilers, as dont want to get suspended - what scene do you think Emily would get awards nod for? She didnt have much to do in the whole film imo, other than her face reacting to things Oppenheimer says. didn't seem like a real character.

I doubt she would get nominated for any major awards. I need to see it again, but there were at least several scenes with Blunt where I thought she was pretty awesome. 

Spoiler

1. When Oppy's mistress dies, and he's having a breakdown. Blunt does a great job on this one, telling him that he deserves zero sympathy for his sins and he needs to get his act together because everyone else is depending on him.

2. When Oppy won't fight back against the government persecution, Blunt does a great job showing a supportive wife who was fed up watching her husband fail to stand up for himself. She goes off on him in front of a bunch of people. Blunt nailed this sequence. 

3. Blunt's interrogation sequence with Jason Clarke. I thought Clarke was pretty great in his role, and the two of them had very good chemistry in their argument with each other. 

15 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I thought the movie was an out-and-out masterpiece, but I actually agree that she's on the cusp for a supporting actress nod at best. Murphy and RDJ are the clear standouts, with Damon, Blunt, Ehrenreich, and Hartnett comprising my favorite runner-up performances.

EDIT: Damn, Jason Clarke was great too.

Edited by Dragoncaine

Did I see a different film from everyone else? For me RDJ's and Blunt's characters did pretty much nothing. And RDJ just played RDJ.

I mean I'm not saying they were bad performances. But all of the names mentioned above, just had such little screen time that I can't see how they gave award-worthy performances. Pretty much every character in the ensemble is a background. The film really is exclusively about Oppenheimer, and not his coworkers, friends or wives.

Edited by Avatree

I can see Emily Blunt getting the nod. 50/50 on it. She doesn't do much but does get at least one Oscar clip scene which is sometimes all you need, especially if it's a movie that's gonna get 10+ nominations anyway sometimes that carries actors through even if they don't deserve it. Like Keira Knightley didn't really do anything in Imitation Game and got nominated.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I can see Emily Blunt getting the nod. 50/50 on it. She doesn't do much but does get at least one Oscar clip scene which is sometimes all you need, especially if it's a movie that's gonna get 10+ nominations anyway sometimes that carries actors through even if they don't deserve it. Like Keira Knightley didn't really do anything in Imitation Game and got nominated.

Plus she’s overdue for a nom

• Like 1