MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

59 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

Bought tickets to a show at my local 70mm IMAX theatre so I can get a taskrabbit tasker to get me a filmstrip. I really want two but I am not sure if they would give two filmstrips to one person with two tickets, and my local cineplex is impossible to get ahold of on the phone. Ah the frustration.

No joke, I would venmo or PayPal you for an extra film strip + shipping :hahaha:

16 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Yeah looks like a lot of the IMAX 70mm locations that might have shown Gran Turismo or Blue Beetle have changed their minds and they're going to show Oppenheimer instead.

More more more!

I'm BEGGING Lincoln Center to extend Oppy's reign. I would seriously consider a 3rd viewing there and take the Amtrak into the city. I'm locked in for Dune 2 there as well

4 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

No joke, I would venmo or PayPal you for an extra film strip + shipping :hahaha:

LOL I want an extra one so I can trade for the first week filmstrip! But no joke, the ebay prices are insane WTF.

Most IMAX sites will give OP an extention. Maybe some will add odd shows for GRAN TURISMO, but the week after all OP again. "Now I am become the destroyer of projectors” lol It's weird that I saw TENET five times already within 10 days of its release, but only one viewing for OP. It's because once you've seen it in 70mm IMAX, it is tough to go back to any other format. That said, I'll probably catch it in 35mm some point.

• Like 2

After seeing Oppenheimer, I finally got around to watching Fat Man and Little Boy. I had wondered how the movie managed to flop so badly in 1989...but now I get it. Still, it was interesting to compare how they portrayed the same events and people (at least Nolan was in the ballpark with Jean Tatlock's hair color, the lowest of bars).

Some of the differences are due to the focus each story: Fat Man and Little Boy was more about the creation of the atomic bomb; Oppenheimer, the man behind the bomb and the later repercussions. Other differences are due to the era of filmmaking and the talent involved (BTW, what a career trajectory for Roland Joffé).

• Like 1

For those who want the Oppenheimer film strips but couldn't get them at their local theatres, IMAX store is having a promotion where they give out a film strip for every purchase.

I bought postcards for 17 + 6 shipping, which is essentially the price of an IMAX ticket in Canada so it was worth it. But outside of North America, the shipping is probably very expensive. But they ran out of the cheaper merch already. Cheapest merch is now the 60+ beanie. Also the film strip is a different one from the ones they give out in the theatres.

41 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Having seen it three times now I don’t see how Emily Blunt can miss a supporting actress nomination. She’s brilliant and the testimony scene alone would be enough to get her a nom and maybe even a BAFTA win.

She got the "Anne Hathaway Catwoman" with meaty, flawless writing but not enough screen time, just enough to like her and think "can she get more time?".

59 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Having seen it three times now I don’t see how Emily Blunt can miss a supporting actress nomination. She’s brilliant and the testimony scene alone would be enough to get her a nom and maybe even a BAFTA win.

Every year is different but Keira Knightley has way less to do in The Imitation Game and got the Oscar nomination. I don't think the testimony is Blunt's only strong scene, but also:

Spoiler

When Kitty confronts Robert as he's crying about Jean's death. The line about him not getting to commit sin and then expecting pity from everyone, is kind of one of the central themes of the movie? He creates the bomb knowing it will be lethal in a new way but only has "scruples" about the destructiveness after the fact. His opponents view his objections to the hydrogen bomb as a selfish, egotistical move and this fuels their anger and drive to take him down.

I also love when Kitty refuses to shake Teller's hand at the White House, she's snarling and looks like she's holding herself back from cursing him out or spitting in his face. A small moment but award show clips are short, so...

• Like 5

Just got back from my 3rd viewing. Definitely a Top 3-4 movie in Nolan’s group of 12 career movies. The entire cast of actors is so damn good! Also seems like Nolan’s dialogue is pretty good on this one. Noticed people in the audience laughing at some of the sarcasm from Matt Damon and Alden Ehrenreich. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Just got back from my 3rd viewing. Definitely a Top 3-4 movie in Nolan’s group of 12 career movies. The entire cast of actors is so damn good! Also seems like Nolan’s dialogue is pretty good on this one. Noticed people in the audience laughing at some of the sarcasm from Matt Damon and Alden Ehrenreich. 

Love Nolan dry wit and this was absolutely top tier. Much needed for the tone too. This is first Nolan film since TDKR that I instantly wanted to see again. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am optimistic about this movies legs long term. Sheer number of not so regular movie goers who want to see this means it will continue to have good holds. It can sustain Imax demand easily for 2 months. 

2 months ? eventhough grand turismo will move. there is still blue bettle right ? or they might even consider barbie ?