PanaMovie

THE BATMAN OS THREAD - 745M WW so far

3 hours ago, Flamengo81 said:

Is that really true? Because TDK and TDKR did good to pretty good in Korea. Also TDKR did 52M 10 years ago, that was very good too. They are not as Batman friendly as Europe and Latin America, but this is an exaggeration IMO.

In South Korea the two movies made 20/30 million, which is good but not as good as we usually see with the country (in some cases superhero films even grossed 70, 80 or 100M). And yeah Dark Knight Rises made 52 million when the Chinese market was much smaller, but at the same time the film was much more "Chinese audience friendly": more action and special effects and less talking/investigation (and also a more favorable climate towards Hollywood)

So while I was initially expecting 50M from China and 20M from South Korea, they will probably end with just 30M and 10M...

6 hours ago, Flamengo81 said:

Is that really true? Because TDK and TDKR did good to pretty good in Korea. Also TDKR did 52M 10 years ago, that was very good too. They are not as Batman friendly as Europe and Latin America, but this is an exaggeration IMO.

TDK and TDKR both did very well in SK but the DCEU movies involving Batman did poorly (compared to Aquaman and most other MCU movies). So whether this movie would have behaved more like the Nolan ones or more like DCEU ones is up for debate. But one thing is clear, its audience ratings have been on the poor side (compared to other SH movies) so that might give a clue as to how it might have performed without covid. 

Overall SK BO is very depressed. NWH should have easily become one of the highest grossing movies there but it did not even come close. Its reception was excellent and it did exceptionally well in other Asian markets. So without covid I think Batman’s gross in SK would have at least increased by 50-100% brining it more in line with other bigger DCeU movies rather than where it will end up now. 

China is a wild card. It could have done just 50 million there or could have blown up and done 200m or more. Realistically, without covid, I would think Batman would have done around 100 million or so there. 

• Like 3

On 3/19/2022 at 5:37 AM, TigerPaw said:

Where did all of them get this 30% theaters closure in China info?

opened up Weibo and any legit box office analyst or channel says at least 48% of theaters are closed.

and in big cities, Universities are sealed so students can’t go out and watch films.

As always western media has no proper idea of China BO.

4 hours ago, MG10 said:

In South Korea the two movies made 20/30 million, which is good but not as good as we usually see with the country (in some cases superhero films even grossed 70, 80 or 100M). And yeah Dark Knight Rises made 52 million when the Chinese market was much smaller, but at the same time the film was much more "Chinese audience friendly": more action and special effects and less talking/investigation (and also a more favorable climate towards Hollywood)

So while I was initially expecting 50M from China and 20M from South Korea, they will probably end with just 30M and 10M...

TDKR actually did 42M in South Korea that is pretty good if you ask me, it's not MCU event film level but its really solid. The thing about TDKR in China is true, but that tells more about the nature of each movie than about the character of Batman lacking popularity. Also 50M would definitely happen in China without Covid and the 20M from South Korea probably too (although I am less sure).

Batman would not have done $100m in China even in the best of circumstances. It's not the type of film Chinese audiences would flock to. It'll end up with around a $30m finish, but without any of the COVID restrictions, it could have potentially gone to $50m.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Noctis said:

Batman would not have done $100m in China even in the best of circumstances. It's not the type of film Chinese audiences would flock to. It'll end up with around a $30m finish, but without any of the COVID restrictions, it could have potentially gone to $50m.

100M is average blockbuster numbers for China during normal circumstances. Even the far less well-received Wonder Woman made 90M+. If a film breaks out then 200-300M are the numbers on the table. Seeing the positive reactions, I feel like The Batman could have had 150M in the bag in a better scenario.

Edited by Spidey Freak

On 3/22/2022 at 7:23 PM, Villain Legion said:

It’s headed to 20M, not 30. Without covid I think perhaps 60-90 range. Down to 8.6 now btw

Down to 8.1 now.. lower than Moonfall and Uncharted's 8.6.

Weekday crowds not a fan, people seem to find it slow especially after a long day of work + having work the next day.

• Like 1

No way for Batman doing 100m in China,more like 60-70m in normal condition,like I said before it will doing silmliar to NTTD.

The score was illusory high at first mainly because of fan rush,now is down to normal score.

You can look batman performnce in other Asia markets,all bad.China won't be an exception.

Of course Batman is super popular in China when Batman's cartoon and “Batman and Robin”released in China,But Batman just lost its fanbase recent years.

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 2:11 AM, Bruce said:

No way for Batman doing 100m in China,more like 60-70m in normal condition,like I said before it will doing silmliar to NTTD.

The score was illusory high at first mainly because of fan rush,now is down to normal score.

You can look batman performnce in other Asia markets,all bad.China won't be an exception.

Of course Batman is super popular in China when Batman's cartoon and “Batman and Robin”released in China,But Batman just lost its fanbase recent years.

BVS and JL had bad reputation.Joker and TDK didn't get a release.But without covid,it should have been around 60m

On 3/26/2022 at 1:11 AM, TigerPaw said:

Down to 8.1 now.. lower than Moonfall and Uncharted's 8.6.

Weekday crowds not a fan, people seem to find it slow especially after a long day of work + having work the next day.

Uncharted and Moobfall  are both  8.2.Recently Hollywood films didn't get good wom.The Batman is only one to cross ¥100m this year

Edited by SliverS

2 hours ago, SliverS said:

Uncharted and Moobfall  are both  8.2.Recently Hollywood films didn't get good wom.The Batman is only one to cross ¥100m this year

Uncharted 8.6, Moonfall 8.2. The Batman 8.0.

That is Maoyan score though.

Douban score - The Batman dominates

• Like 1