Eric S'ennui

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

It is worth noting that if it is delayed it doesn't take the IMAX exclusivity with them. From the IMAX earnings call:

“If Dune moves, we will just go over to The Marvels – and having a Marvel movie as a back-up is not the worst position to be in the world. But in terms of Dune, my own opinion is that it’s highly unlikely to move.”

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Squire said:

With Kraven being delayed, I hope The Marvels moves to take the 10/6 date. Would be a good fit for it as it wouldn’t have any major competition for October and could grab some IMAX screens. 

They literally have a trailer released less than one week ago saying that it’s going to the movie theaters 11/10. It’s not happening. If anything, I’d fast the seatbelt and wait for Dune 2 or/and The Marvels getting delayed to 2024 as well. One of them will, if not both. 

43 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

They literally have a trailer released less than one week ago saying that it’s going to the movie theaters 11/10. It’s not happening. If anything, I’d fast the seatbelt and wait for Dune 2 or/and The Marvels getting delayed to 2024 as well. One of them will, if not both. 

Everytime I hear about these propsed release date moves I scream - OR Make a GDAM deal and pay your  actors and writers. These guys are truly greedy amoral shitbags.

• Like 3

Based on the stuff we've seen in the trades, it sounds like Disney thinks it's too far into The Marvels promotion to delay, and WB/Legendary don't think it's too late for Dune. Now the trades have posted things that are...clearly tilted toward siding against the strikers, but it'd be odd for studios to lie/bluff about a movie not moving, so safe to say Marvels is locked in. But it's clear now that the strike will likely be ongoing during when promo would be, so if the bet they're waiting on is "maybe the strike will be done before promo starts" that doesn't seem likely.

It really comes down to that. The strike ending before the next phase of promo starting seems off the table, so now the question is if they think promo can work without the cast involved.

Edited by SpiderByte

On 7/29/2023 at 2:49 PM, SpiderByte said:

Based on the stuff we've seen in the trades, it sounds like Disney thinks it's too far into The Marvels promotion to delay, and WB/Legendary don't think it's too late for Dune. Now the trades have posted things that are...clearly tilted toward siding against the strikers, but it'd be odd for studios to lie/bluff about a movie not moving, so safe to say Marvels is locked in. But it's clear now that the strike will likely be ongoing during when promo would be, so if the bet they're waiting on is "maybe the strike will be done before promo starts" that doesn't seem likely.

It really comes down to that. The strike ending before the next phase of promo starting seems off the table, so now the question is if they think promo can work without the cast involved.

The question isn't whether they think they can promote without the cast, but whether promoting without the cast is better than losing momentum for a potentially quite long delay when they've already started marketing for a while

both options kind of stink, they're just weighing on which one stinks less, which is frankly not an easy call: dune has a lot of young stars, some of them pretty buzzy as well to promote the film with, and they're not even sure when the strike will end in general since this can be something that goes on for quite a while really. studios won't budge so easily on a major systemic issue.

13 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

It might not be a long delay, just a month back into Aquamans spot.

They won't do that since it's within days of Chalamet's other WB tentpole unless Wonka is delayed (which I doubt since it looks perfectly timed with the holidays).

56 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They won't do that since it's within days of Chalamet's other WB tentpole unless Wonka is delayed (which I doubt since it looks perfectly timed with the holidays).

If they had any guts, they'd go with the option of having a very Chalamet week! Imagine all the Dunka memes.

Just DO IT WB, I dare you.

I have a feeling Aquaman is staying put, unless the movie needs re-shoots. 

If Dune Part 2 moves, I kind of like the idea of WB re-shuffling its 2024 slate so Dune gets a Cannes premiere and Furiosa’s Memorial Day weekend date. Furiosa can then get a Venice premiere and Fall date. 

Edited by Squire
Typo

On 7/27/2023 at 2:13 AM, kayumanggi said:

Lol seriously, who the fuck still goes to a movie theater today based on its star promoting it on talk shows, etc?  This isn't the 90s.  Do they really think Zendaya fans aren't gonna show up to the movie because she won't be on Colbert, Fallon, or instagram posts?

Just release it on schedule you bozos, no1currs.

• Like 4

On 7/29/2023 at 5:49 AM, SpiderByte said:

Hell, Marvels merchandise was on display at a Mickey D's I popped into this weekend....I guess they could not even move the merchandise shipping to November.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that The Marvels isn’t the kind of movie that demands being seen on the biggest screen possible. 

By the way, if people are desperate for the next Barbenheimer, should Carol Dunevers be a thing? That would at least be more interesting than Saw Patrol. 

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that The Marvels isn’t the kind of movie that demands being seen on the biggest screen possible. 

By the way, if people are desperate for the next Barbenheimer, should Carol Dunevers be a thing? That would at least be more interesting than Saw Patrol. 

Napolewish