Eric Prime

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

42 minutes ago, Warmaster506 said:

Thinking it's being overpredicted and overhyped. 

I see one person on there complaining and all they're really saying is that it won't be in the top 3 which doesn't even seem to be a popular sentiment anyway.

Edited by poweranimals

Hard to know how this will do. It's well publicised. They want us to think Dune 2 is an event but Dune 1 got lost in Covid. It's like the industry is willing this film to success. Maybe Chalamet really is the IT boy though. He carried Wonka. 

Some anonymous Hollywood executives apparently believe this could be a billion dollar film, but then again, they were also apparently convinced The Flash would be a huge hit, so who knows? 

42 minutes ago, Juliet said:

Hard to know how this will do. It's well publicised. They want us to think Dune 2 is an event but Dune 1 got lost in Covid. It's like the industry is willing this film to success. Maybe Chalamet really is the IT boy though. He carried Wonka. 

Being released over the holidays didn’t exactly hurt either. 

Yeah after The Flash testing better than TDK or best ever for WB I don't believe insider projections. For boxoffice and awards (looking at you Kevin "Eternals Will Win Best Picture" Feige). 

But fingers crosssed ofc! I want Dune to pull a ROTK and win Picture too.

Edited by Valonqar

54 minutes ago, Juliet said:

That’s personally what it feels like to me. Like a square peg in a round hole.

9 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

That’s personally what it feels like to me. Like a square peg in a round hole.

This is what worries me. Some are getting a little too excited on the potential of this and will be disappointed if it does not break out huge.  150-175  DOM and 475-500+ WW would be just fine. Anything more would be gravy. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Well, the good news is that its competition will likely be less stiff compared to if it had come out in 2023. 

true though WB has that other contender Joker 2 so the studio will be split unless one sucks ass (and that won't be DUNC).

16 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

true though WB has that other contender Joker 2 so the studio will be split unless one sucks ass (and that won't be DUNC).

I’m not convinced Joker 2 will be much an Oscar contender. I think the reason the first one got as much love from the Academy as it did was because it sold itself as something radically different, and many felt Joaquin Phoenix was overdue for an Oscar win. 

Really don’t know why any executive would think this will suddenly become a billion grosser. Part I was popular but it’s not a real four-quadrant crowd pleaser 

The realistic goal here is to more than double Part I DOM (very doable due to lack of competition + no day and date), and have some grow OS. 

Expecting 600M-ish for this, which is great considering the budget was similar or lower than the previous movie. 

• Like 1

I feel there's more people "concerned" that this is being overpredicted than it actually being overpredicted.

Sure some suit threw out that it 'll make a billion which means nothing, some people might hope it 'll blow up but there's also outliers on the other side that think it 'll barely increase for reasons.

Most realistic expectations are still that it'll have a sizable growth DOM and a smaller growth OS since it released early in many big markets and wasn't as affected by the day-and-date release there.

13 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m not convinced Joker 2 will be much an Oscar contender. I think the reason the first one got as much love from the Academy as it did was because it sold itself as something radically different, and many felt Joaquin Phoenix was overdue for an Oscar win. 

This time the Oscar buzz is expected for Lady Gaga, especially as she's coming off the House of Gucci snub

I think this being delayed may actually work out in its favor. It's a new year, things struggled in the fall/winter 2023, and Wonka kinda owned Christmas. All signs point to that only helping this out.

On 1/8/2024 at 2:02 PM, Mad Max007 said:

Did anyone post the prores trailer in the thread yet?

Don't know what "prores" actually means but here you can find downloadable versions with much better picture quality than on youtube. Trailer 8 should be the official 3rd trailer.