Eric Prime

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

2 hours ago, von Kenni said:

Yeah, Messiah is gonna happen. 

My theory on why they haven’t officially announced it yet is Legendary is waiting for Denis to line up his “in between” project first. I’m thinking they want to set a release date, but can’t do that until they know when Denis can commit to filming Messiah. 2027/2028 sounds about right to keep momentum going. 

• Like 2

I wish audiences would have come out in droves to watch this, after the reviews and WoM I thought a massive increase was given. It's easily the most satisfying blockbuster since Infinity War/Fury Road. I will watch it a fourth time this week if I get time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mad Max007 said:

I wish audiences would have come out in droves to watch this, after the reviews and WoM I thought a massive increase was given. 

Well, the increase vs the original will be pretty massive. Agreed, though, it deserves even more. But as long as Messiah gets made, i'm good.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mad Max007 said:

I wish audiences would have come out in droves to watch this, after the reviews and WoM I thought a massive increase was given. It's easily the most satisfying blockbuster since Infinity War/Fury Road. I will watch it a fourth time this week if I get time.

The audience has come out. It’s making about as much as this kind of film can reasonably make. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

The audience has come out. It’s making about as much as this kind of film can reasonably make. 

I agree. Dune 2 is still a 3 Hour Hard-Sci-Fi Epic. Its not family-friendly Star Wars or anything like that, its way more niche just as a concept alone. For this kind of movie to make near 300M DOM is incredible.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

It'll end at exactly $300M if it plays out like GOTG 3 from third weekend onward (actually a pretty good comp for this movie)

I wish it would, but the odds are it won't play out like GOTG3.

In the later parts of its run GOTG3 was starting to have summer hugely benefitting late legs. Dune 2 won't have that.

Also it's losing PLFs soon. And it's not a four quadrant movie.

But the $300M dream isn't entirely dead yet. It's on life support at best, though.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Squire said:

Yeah, Messiah is gonna happen. 

My theory on why they haven’t officially announced it yet is Legendary is waiting for Denis to line up his “in between” project first. I’m thinking they want to set a release date, but can’t do that until they know when Denis can commit to filming Messiah. 2027/2028 sounds about right to keep momentum going. 

I heard they will decide on Dune Messiah depending on if/when it breaks even which needs to be at least $600 M. Budget was $190 M and marketing was apparently  $150 M.

• ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, joselowe said:

I heard they will decide on Dune Messiah depending on if/when it breaks even which needs to be at least $600 M. Budget was $190 M and marketing was apparently  $150 M.

1. 600 mil is definitely happening and 2. $600 mil is not the breakeven point. Let's not be spreading misinformation here please

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, joselowe said:

It literally is at $500M ($497M) right now after WW weekend estimates.

Missing $600M is impossible at this point.

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

1. 600 mil is definitely happening and 2. $600 mil is not the breakeven point. Let's not be spreading misinformation here please

Yeah, Variety said breakeven is $500M.

$600M is not the breakeven. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Was watching a bit of Zardoz today and Charlotte Rampling has such a striking resemblance to Rebecca Ferguson. Could've totally played Jessica back then.

Ahh...THE GUN IS GOOD...(IYKYK)

Check this out:

'In order to insult Duke Leto, David Carradine, Rabban the Beast gets his army, the Algerian army, to pull down their pants in front of the palace and shit. So there's going to be a scene of 2,000 extras defecating at once. So here's Charlotte Rampling, she agrees to meet with Jodo, she gets the script, she reads the script, and she says, "I can't be in a movie where there's 2,000 extras defecating on screen!" '

https://www.duneinfo.com/unseen/jodorowskys-dune-uncovered/16

6 minutes ago, IchwanBigBrother said:

Even given the absence of Russia, why has its international performance been relatively softer so far? 

Okayish performance in Asia, primarily. 

Taking out Russia and Ukraine, if it makes $400M internationally, it will be a 49% increase from Part 1, which I think is good, especially since Part 1 was a pure theatrical release in 2021, so the domestic impact of day and date release didn’t play a role. 

And, it’s already slated to blow past Across the Spiderverse internationally, which is a much more popular and accessible IP. 

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, IchwanBigBrother said:

Even given the absence of Russia, why has its international performance been relatively softer so far? 

There was no day and date outside the US. OS-C-R will still be up 50% or more from the original which is a respectable increase.

But mostly...this film only plays strong in Europe+aus. China is solid I guess but LATAM and Asia are mediocre to bad (SK is OK). Europe can only do so much.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

Dune 3 is obviously happening. WB owns the post Covid correction franchise game for the net 3-4 years with sequels to Barbie, Beetle Juice, The Batman, Dune, Joker, Wonka, and Twisters.