titanic2187

Halloween Weekend Thread | D:$15.53m HK: $8.5m NTTD: $7.82m

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

BB's box office wasn't what got it's sequel green lit - see Superman Returns.  It was the $200m+ in video sales

Do you mean that number was Superman Returns and they were already expecting that for BB or...?

With quick search I found this for BB: https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Batman-Begins#tab=video-sales

In 2006 about $35m inf adj (if those source numbers were not) when TDK had to be already greenlight.

5 minutes ago, von Kenni said:

Do you mean that number was Superman Returns and they were already expecting that for BB or...?

With quick search I found this for BB: https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Batman-Begins#tab=video-sales

In 2006 about $35m inf adj (if those source numbers were not) when TDK had to be already greenlight.

https://variety.com/2006/film/news/wb-mulls-superman-redux-1200342128/

WB’s 2005 “Batman Begins,” whose B.O. was comparable to that of “Superman,” earned $167 million in DVD sales, according to estimates by Variety sister pub Video Business.

Even if those are WW numbers - it's highly doubtful that Intl did 3.5 times as much as domestic  as of Aug 2006.

OCTOBER 29-31:

1. "Dune" - 16.3 / 70.1

2. "Halloween Kills" - 8.7 / 85.9

3. "My Hero Academia" - 7.8

4. "No Time To Die" - 7.8 / 133.3

5. "Venom 2" - 5.5 / 190.2

6. "Last Night in Soho" - 4.4

7. "Antlers" - 4.0

8. "Ron's Gone Wrong" - 3.7 / 12.5

9. "The French Dispatch" - 3.6 / 5.7

10. "The Addams Family 2" - 3.0 / 52.6

11. "Shang-Chi" - 1.1 / 222.8

12. "The Last Duel" - 0.6 / 10.1

NOVEMBER 5-7:

1. "Eternals" - 74.2

2. "Dune" - 7.4 / 82.5

3. "No Time To Die" - 4.5 / 140.2

4. "Venom 2" - 2.8 / 194.5

5. "My Hero Academia" - 2.6 / 12.4

6. "Spencer" - 2.6

7. "Halloween Kills" - 2.4 / 90.4

8. "The French Dispatch" - 2.2 / 9.0

9. "Last Night in Soho" - 1.9 / 7.5

10. "Ron's Gone Wrong" - 1.8 / 15.4

11. "Antlers" - 1.6 / 6.8

12. "The Addams Family 2" - 1.2 / 54.5

So, Deadline posts the new movie demos...and we really need to start talking about the lack of women returning to theaters...that's one of the two biggie demoes that are still missing.  I mean, Soho gets 59-41 male/female split?  And horror, traditionally more female-drawing, gets a 61-39 split?  Anyway, theaters better figure out families and females, fast (see I can do alliteration tonight:)...

Anyway, here's all the Deadline demo stats...

"Last Night in Soho gets a B+, slightly down from the A- of Wright’s mass-appealing $107.8M domestic grossing Baby Driver, which this genre movie was never expected to emulate. PostTrak was lower at 73% positive, a 56% recommend, and, as expected, an older male crowd in attendance at 59%, 66% over 25 and 62% between 18-34.

Diversity demos were Caucasian 55%, 21% Latino and Hispanic, 10% Black, and 14% Asian/other."

"Antlers...Audience was 61% guys, 65% over 25 and 60% between 18-34. Audience make-up was 48% Caucasian, 27% Latino and Hispanic, 14% Black and 11% Asian/other."

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Avatar Legion said:

For the folks discussing depth as an issue a few weeks ago: 11-12 movies over 1M this weekend, 12-13 next. Better than many pre-pandemic weekends.

But nothing was big and top 10 DOM BO was $65Mish...so sucky in a different way...

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

But nothing was big and top 10 DOM BO was $65Mish...so sucky in a different way...

Next weekend will be big and have lots of depth. A pre-pandemic level weekend no matter how you slice it.

21 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

https://variety.com/2006/film/news/wb-mulls-superman-redux-1200342128/

WB’s 2005 “Batman Begins,” whose B.O. was comparable to that of “Superman,” earned $167 million in DVD sales, according to estimates by Variety sister pub Video Business.

Even if those are WW numbers - it's highly doubtful that Intl did 3.5 times as much as domestic  as of Aug 2006.

Hmm... I'm doubtful of that Variety source that it made by that time $167m. Even if the retail sales was that then their margin would have been considerably lower (i.e. $ in box office vs. in video sales) which would be great to know what is the case here. If the overall video sales are proportional with the-numbers numbers, then comparing with sci-fi movies like Gravity & Interstellar their numbers are not that far or minimal either. Although no doubt that BB sells more. And of course studios have already projections of the video, licensing & other income for different type of movies for the following 5-10 years after the box office release which will effect their decision-making. Just trying to figure out how big of a difference it make in comparison with movies like Gravity, Interstellar and Dune if they would have the same box office.

I mean, sure, added to Superman close-call decision-making but still looks that BB's sequel was decided with the box office and knowing that with that box office the video sales will bring considerably additional revenue too, even if it later on went over expectations.

Edited by von Kenni

1 hour ago, von Kenni said:

He's making a remake of the Running Man!? Why!? It's already perfect.

Angry Ron Swanson GIF

I’ll admit I’m intrigued since he’s apparently taking the source Stephen King story as his inspiration. Which sadly means no split a dude in half with a chainsaw and “he had to split” Arnold puns but sacrifices have to be made.

People definitely aren’t over the pandemic here. I can’t speak in terms of what movie numbers are like, but as I’ve mentioned in the past I work in the restaurant industry and we are no where near our in person dining numbers we were pre-pandemic or sales in general. We are able to seat with no restrictions now and we still do nearly 45% take out sales now and that number was like under 10% pre-covid. 

In terms of myself and theatres, restrictions are lifted here as well so I haven’t been going any opening weekends and won’t be anytime soon . I’ve waited 2-3 weeks to go when things are less busy and that will continue probably till the end of the year. We’ll soon be starting vaccinations on the 5-11year olds and with booster shots and the high up take here I’m hopeful things should be better in the new year and I can start going back opening weekend for when the Batman releases. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RRA said:

I’ll admit I’m intrigued since he’s apparently taking the source Stephen King story as his inspiration. Which sadly means no split a dude in half with a chainsaw and “he had to split” Arnold puns but sacrifices have to be made.

Season 3 Ugh GIF by Parks and Recreation

56 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Yeah looking back at 2019 how I was going to cinemas nearly every week I can't imagine myself doing that now even if there was no pandemic. Maybe I've just gotten lazier but the pandemic certainly will have imbedded that mindset into a decent amount of people. 

People are creatures of habit. Break that habit, hard to get them back. 

• Like 2

2019 had a lot of appealing films for many genres. That's why it was a historic year. This year still feels like 2020 leftovers and even the films generally well-received aren't appealing and would be doomed regardless ala The Last Duel.

Just look at September. Shang-Chi, mixed Clint Eastwood film, Dear Evan Hansen. Not enticing. Compare to Sept 2019: Hustlers, Downton Abbey, Ad Astra (underwhelmed but still a Brad Pitt sci-fi film. 19m is nothing to scoff at).

November and December especially this year has a wider variety that might pull more indifferent audiences back in

• Like 1

I think HK will do anywhere from 8.5 to 9.2 million $, and considering how awful it is (but still remaining within those numbers bc of the actual Halloween) - it is a huge success. Over 10 million $? Well, that would require a 60% jump on Saturday and strong hold on Sunday (a 10-15% drop). Not impossible but highly unlikely.

And then I guess we're all prepared for a 70%+ drop in it's 4th weekend.

4 hours ago, baumer said:

I agree with you in principle, but maybe it's time to start lowering budgets on movies.  I say this as a film fan.  I don't think you can continue to allocate this kind of money to films like, but not restricted to, Dune.  Films like Fast and Furious and maybe some MCU movies are still good for the massive budgets but even Venom and Shang Chi are still going to do just okay domestically.  They look to both clear 400 mill but that's a far cry from even the smallest of MCU efforts like Ant-man, although Shang Chi will come pretty close to 500.

Venom 2 still has yet to open in some major markets. I think it'll make close to $500m without China. With a budget of $110m, Venom 2 is a bonafide hit

Edited by Pinacolada
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, ViktorLosAngeles said:

I think HK will do anywhere from 8.5 to 9.2 million $, and considering how awful it is (but still remaining within those numbers bc of the actual Halloween) - it is a huge success. Over 10 million $? Well, that would require a 60% jump on Saturday and strong hold on Sunday (a 10-15% drop). Not impossible but highly unlikely.

And then I guess we're all prepared for a 70%+ drop in it's 4th weekend.

I was thinking a more modest Sat and a Sun increase

3 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

The biggest WB movie on pandemic is GxK which did 280M without China.

It's not hard seeing why Dune making +300M without China is getting a sequel. 

Of course for the budget is not enough, but people really need to stop pretending everything is normal. Not a single Hollywood movie this year made 600M without China, and we get some pretty huge franchises trying it.

There's still a pandemic going on, and HBO Max hurting the legs, Dune is a success because it did fine despite that. Imagine this without pandemic and theatrical release and we would be talking about +500M instead of 350M, which is more than good for 165M budget, and probably it's where Part II is going to land.

I agree with what you said, but I believe No Time To Die will do $600m+ not including China

• Like 1

I guess with this whole Covid case surge in China, we could expect NTTD's total to be around 60 million $. Australia? I'd say anywhere between 15 and 25 million $.

Overall, 145ish million $ in the US, 60 million $ in China, let's say 18 million $ in AUS. The rest of the world? 480 million $?

700 million should be "in the bag". However, I can see this underperforming in AUS due to the Covid situation as well.

• Like 1