Cap

Eternals Weekend Thread: 71M OW DOM, 90M OS | Dune 7.6M (-50%), NTTD 6.2M, Venom 4.5M, Spencer 2.1M

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Well I think Marvel made sure previous introductions to C-list characters were fun. Making a slow, dull movie with D-list characters is asking for trouble.

Also it's unfair to put the Eternals on the same tier as Ant-Man, Captain Marvel or Guardians.

Even the average Marvel fan couldn't name the Eternals by name.

If it was better reviewed, had better WoM and opened to 110m OW - would you have said the same?

What I am saying is that the pull back in expectations recently for OW is due to reviews, the obscurity of characters has not been considered an issue for people expecting it to open 90 - 110m; but suddenly this reason is now brought up as consolation when OW is lower than what some people expect?

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Eric loves Ajak said:

Look I would love to be proven wrong here, and I'm sure this is just me going "expect the worst, hope for the best", but everything from how the current market is looking and acting, as well as how much larger and potent the streaming/VOD market is here in the US compared to other countries just reads to me that NWH will do ~350M, and I think that's still a really good and wonderful and important milestone to get to and we shouldn't just discredit that because it would do more in 2019.

350M OW feels too high tbh 

• Haha 1

It's disappointing, not because the numbers are bad, but because we know it have room for way more before reviews "destroy" it.

The problem isn't the characters being unknowns, the interest exists, but sadly the mixed reviews and the circus it became because it's the first rotten MCU movie make the interest drop (specially on US), now it's clear.

The meh reception from audiences will only take it down even more, but it is what it is. Probably is going to finish with +400M WW like Shang Chi, it's a success, but could've been huge.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

It's disappointing, not because the numbers are bad, but because we know it have room for way more before reviews "destroy" it.

The problem isn't the characters being unknowns, the interest exists, but sadly the mixed reviews and the circus it became because it's the first rotten MCU movie make the interest drop (specially on US), now it's clear.

The meh reception from audiences will only take it down even more, but it is what it is. Probably is going to finish with +400M WW like Shang Chi, it's a success, but could've been huge.

Yes exactly. Thank you. In the earlier pages for Eternals, i and many others expect at least 500 - 600m worldwide - obscurity / unknowness of the characters is not a huge factor for a MCU film.. 

Issue now is that reviews / mixed WoM have killed interests of the GA hence our expectations all lowered.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

But, it's hold true that it didn't meet industry expectation "Next $100M+ OW arrives at November" Now, barely doing Shang Chi's OW.

it's crazy basically everyone here thought this was gonna beat Shang Chi and now they're gonna have to team up with Shang Chi in Eternals 2 to make people interested in seeing it. how the tides turn.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

If it was better reviewed, had better WoM and opened to 110m OW - would you have said the same?

What I am saying is that the pull back in expectations recently for OW is due to reviews, the obscurity of characters has not been considered an issue for people expecting it to open 90 - 110m; but suddenly this reason is now brought up as consolation when OW is lower than what some people expect?

I see no reason for this to have a higher OW than Venom. Venom had more hype ever before Eternal's rotten score.

And I doubt the OW would dang near double just because Eternals was fresh on RT. Rave reviews give a bump but there's a limit. 

You guys overestimated the hype. It happens. Look how Eternals was tracking before the reviews. It was tracking in the Black Widow range at best.

What are the new criteria for box office success?
Because I don't know at all if I should consider a $ 600M WW with a budget of 200 a mixed success or a real success given the current situation. Black Widow which is under 400WW with 200 budget is therefore not a flop but a relative success? The same for the 2022 releases like Fantastic Beasts 3 or Batman, what expectations to have with this pandemic at the box office level.

The Eternals have mixed word of mouth which killed the movie in my opinion. 500WW would already be good.

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

You guys overestimated the hype. It happens. Look how Eternals was tracking before the reviews. It was tracking in the Black Widow range at best.

This is not factually accurate.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it's crazy basically everyone here thought this was gonna beat Shang Chi and now they're gonna have to team up with Shang Chi in Eternals 2 to make people interested in seeing it. how the tides turn.

Smart - put both movies China won't release in one package. Minimize risk.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

It was tracking to be in line with Black Widow's Previews but the expectation was the Weekend Multiplier was going to be better since Eternals didn't have PA affecting it. But yes poor reviews clearly affected the OW which in a way is good as it means Marvel knows they still need to make a good movie (in most critics opinion even though I actually liked Eternals quite a bit). It especially matters more when you're introducing unknown heroes.

Still will probably cross $400M WW which is a decent result but the DOM performance at least is going to be a bit disappointing unless it bucks the CinemaScore and has good legs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I see no reason for this to have a higher OW than Venom. Venom had more hype ever before Eternal's rotten score.

And I doubt the OW would dang near double just because Eternals was fresh on RT. Rave reviews give a bump but there's a limit. 

No. The movie just got bad reviews and isn’t hitting with audiences the way a normal mcu movie does. Feige made a mistake letting reviews drop that early imo. At this point it doesn’t matter though. 

• Like 2

67% drop, finish below Bond domestically. A terrible terrible result, perhaps a full 50% below the potential with SC level reception. The consolations are:

personally liked it

overperforming OS

I trust Feige not to kneejerk overreact

• Like 4
  • Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, Eternal Legion said:

67% drop, finish below Bond domestically. A terrible terrible result, perhaps a full 50% below the potential with SC level reception. The consolations are:

personally liked it

overperforming OS

I truly appreciate how you can be a huge mcu fan while still speaking the truth and not throw out excuse after excuse. The truth is the movie is gonna end up doing fine but it could be of been way better with better reception. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, Eternal Legion said:

personally liked it

overperforming OS

Could also try to hide behind a pandemic fig leaf, but I have been arguing against that for movies I’m not personally attached to and I’m not changing my assessment there just because one I loved is getting crushed. Is it a 0% factor, no. Is it a primary factor here, no.

Edited by Eternal Legion
  • Thanks 1