Cap

Eternals Weekend Thread: 71M OW DOM, 90M OS | Dune 7.6M (-50%), NTTD 6.2M, Venom 4.5M, Spencer 2.1M

10 minutes ago, cax16 said:

No. The movie just got bad reviews and isn’t hitting with audiences the way a normal mcu movie does. Feige made a mistake letting reviews drop that early imo. At this point it doesn’t matter though. 

You guys really think this was heading to 110m OW?

When did the tracking suggest this?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So it was tracking way ahead of Venom 2?

Before reviews dropped, it was tracking for a preview number that would have put it above 90 with a typical A/A- level reception.

Edited by Eternal Legion
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

You guys really think this was heading to 110m OW?

When did the tracking suggest this?

I don’t track movies like the guys do in the tracking thread but we saw pretty big numbers the first few days of presales which would indicate this could potentially open pretty well. I don’t know if 90 or 110 was realistic but under SC isn’t ideal with how presales started. 

Also, I’m not one of the people who buys into the unknown character things when it comes to mcu movies. The brand is so huge now I expect every movie to do a bit better then the last so yes I expected this to open higher then SC . Maybe that’s just me being unrealistic but that’s just how I feel cause the brand is so popular. 

Just to clarify the above, I mean in respects to Eternals being able to open a bit higher then SC for example, not like SC or eternals should make more then a team up movie from the past. 

Edited by cax16

I think long runtime exacerbates the poor reception issues fwiw. It’s easier to sink 120 minutes into a movie outing you’re a little skeptical of than like 200.   

I don’t think I would want a shorter cut though. I had concerns about it before seeing it, but to me it felt just right. If a buffer of 25 monstrously successful and well-received films doesn’t buy you a buffer of one like this (actually the buffer is a lot more than one, but that’s neither here nor there) then what’s the point?

• Like 1

I'm six hours removed from my showing of Eternals ending, and I've been letting it sink in. I really don't understand why the response has been so middling. Probably because it's the most un-MCU movie by a good margin, which is partially why I enjoyed it so much. Still enjoyed Shang-Chi more on a pure entertainment level, but Eternals will safely sit in the upper half of my MCU list.

• Like 2

Frankly speaking, I am not being sad by the result, more so because mid run of pre-sales was so bad, I had fears of $60s opening and now that I am seeing the reception from people I know, it feels like whatever it is doing is just bonus. 

Besides OS opening actually looks good.

Now waiting to watch it myself, probably during weekdays I will get a show of my preference.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Eternal Legion said:

I trust Feige not to kneejerk overreact

Me too. EW interview with Chloe just came out.

She said clearly that she talk with Kevin and Nate (producer) everyday and he asked since the beginning to make a standalone movie. She also said they created a great environment to protect her during the process and encourage her to explore different things for the movie.

Entering that she said she believe the SH genre is entering a revisionist period and the idea is to challenge that, giving the example of the third act that doesn't end like SH movies usually end and that this is a scary place for filmmakers and studios to go because it's easier to keep safe but they decided to try.

Based on the things Chloe and Feige said it really looks like they just try to make something different in some ways knowing that it's a risk. Some people believe that Feige will freakout about this reception and fire everybody, scrap or rework all the chatacters etc, but it seems like he always knew this could happen, he seems to love the movie, i really doubt he will overreact about this, it isn't that bad anyway and it's not a major franchise. 

Maybe Disney will have a meltdown, but i think Feige will stand with Chloe and the producer, at this point he can give himself the luxury of making something that he like but maybe won't be a 4 quadrant beloved smash.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 5

From Day 2 onwards it was slower than BW. My early expectation was 12m previews/90m OW/240m Domestic. But PS was so bad last week that I joined @Maggie club after initially staying out. Now I am in Eternals < F9 camp. Reviews did play a big part but PS slowed done even before reviews were out. It did not play as wide as BW did. But I thought MCU faithful would still come. I guess many decided to wait for D+ release after seeing really poor reviews. 

• Like 1

Boy, Eternals really sucked a fat one. Barely even feels a part of Marvel universe yet is utterly beholden to the style, so I don't see what audience it possibly satisfies. Given that combined with the Z-List nature of the characters, they should be happy with 70 tbh.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Noiret Jak said:

What are the new criteria for box office success?
Because I don't know at all if I should consider a $ 600M WW with a budget of 200 a mixed success or a real success given the current situation. Black Widow which is under 400WW with 200 budget is therefore not a flop but a relative success? The same for the 2022 releases like Fantastic Beasts 3 or Batman, what expectations to have with this pandemic at the box office level.

The Eternals have mixed word of mouth which killed the movie in my opinion. 500WW would already be good.

400M for Eternals is not good, with a budget of 200M (not including marketing) 💀

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Maybe Disney will have a meltdown

In the United Arab Emirates, Jordan, Lebanon and Egypt we understand that a version of the film will be released that removes all scenes of intimacy — be they heterosexual or homosexual. This is generally normal practice for these markets.

https://deadline.com/2021/11/eternals-banned-saudi-arabia-qatar-kuwait-bahrain-oman-1234867992/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, poncho said:

In the United Arab Emirates, Jordan, Lebanon and Egypt we understand that a version of the film will be released that removes all scenes of intimacy — be they heterosexual or homosexual. This is generally normal practice for these markets.

https://deadline.com/2021/11/eternals-banned-saudi-arabia-qatar-kuwait-bahrain-oman-1234867992/

... and?

They're not being homophobic. These countries have a culture of not showing intimate scenes at all, so they're cutting everything including heterosexual relationships.

They're not showing the movie in any country that request cuts of the gay scenes alone.

15 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

... and?

They're not being homophobic. These countries have a culture of not showing intimate scenes at all, so they're cutting everything including heterosexual relationships.

They're not showing the movie in any country that request cuts of the gay scenes alone.

What? UAE and Lebanon do not cut out intimate scenes. 

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Some people believe that Feige will freakout about this reception and fire everybody, scrap or rework all the chatacters etc, but it seems like he always knew this could happen, he seems to love the movie, i really doubt he will overreact about this, it isn't that bad anyway and it's not a major franchise. 

Feiges talked a lot, particularly around WandaVision, about how he feels superhero projects need to be willing to try doing different stuff to avoid going stale. And pretty much the one thing everyone agrees on about Eternals is that it's very different.

• Like 5