Eric S'ennui

Weekend Thread (12/10-12) | WSS 800K Previews

Feige IS right. 

The Oscars see the Marvel logo and they automatically dismiss the movies. 

They see the logo and are reminded that almost every Marvel movie is a soulless, incoherent, loud, piece of garbage where 48 heroes "battle for the fate of mankind" against some shoddy CG despite the hundreds of millions spent, with lame "likeable and relatable" humor masquerading as having "heart." 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Most these original movies you guys say deserve attention have one big flaw.

They dont create urgency by audiences to see right away in theaters.

However on streaming they find an audience.

There was this one movie in 2020 called Greenland made hardly any money but was huge on streaming for months.

According to reports it made 80 million profit from streaming.

That's how it is now.

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

Process and intentions very much affect the result. When product is made only to sell toys and market cinematic universe without any artistic intention behind it, it's not comparable to any movie from real filmmakers who have something to say. And art can have CGI of course, who says it can't, it's just a tool, but you can easily see the difference between great movies which use it and generic CGI fests which overuse it.

Who's to say you can't sell toys, market a cinematic universe, and have artistic intention? 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The demographic who is driving theater revenue the most these days is young nerdy men. I'm willing to bet almost none of them even know what West Side Story is. It's certainly not the icon people here seem to think it is.

Is it too late to pull the plug on Wicked?

Nah, that one at least doesn't have a movie version readily available on streaming...it still wouldn't have been my 1st musical adaptation choice (see my suggestion earlier in the thread), but this one has a chance...

I would pull the plug immediately on Fiddler on the Roof or send it direct the streaming...again, there's a great, available on streaming free, movie version already...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Most these original movies you guys say deserve attention have one big flaw.

They dont create urgency by audiences to see right away in theaters.

However on streaming they find an audience.

There was this one movie in 2020 called Greenland made hardly any money but was huge on streaming for months.

That's how it is now.

2022 is probably last chance junction for original films in theaters. There's multiple films that could hit it big as word-of-mouth films including Ambulance, Bullet Train, Nope, Dark Harvest, The Woman King, and others. And there's a lot of original animation, not only the films by Disney/Pixar but also Under the Boardwalk and Spellbound. If most of those fail, then theatrical really might be dead.

• Like 1

I'm not a Marvel hater, I watch every movie and I find them enjoyable and of course no one of them have ever deserved to be nominated at the Oscars. There is always something so much better even in the technical categories.

So the same thing for Black Panther, it didn't have nothing better or worst than the average marvel movies in techinical terms so i don't know why it got so many nominations. If the prize is for the impact End game should have been nominated too. 

Edited by vale900

Except the numbers I see - everything here....oh, well.

I am Marvel and DCEU fan and Don't worry, I will keep consuming this poison of an entertainment so that the theatres and Cinemas can stay afloat and give you great movies like The Last Duel and WSS, occasionally. You don't have to thank us Product driven, soul-less, Franchise loving idiots, we don't deserve that because even at gun-point I won't go and watch your Real films.

14 minutes ago, vale900 said:

I'm not a Marvel hater, I watch every movie and I find them enjoyable and of course no one of them have ever deserved to be nominated at the Oscars. There is always something so much better even in the technical categories.

So the same thing for Black Panther, it didn't have nothing better or worst than the average marvel movies in techinical terms so i don't know why it got so many nominations. If the prize is for the impact End game should have been nominated too. 

Indeed, Endgame should have been nominated. I liked it better than all of the nominees I saw that year (around 5)

19 minutes ago, vale900 said:

Black panther was the rare mcu film that got the art and Oscar crowd attention due to its social politic subject matter.

Black panther is a pretty avg mcu film in action but in terms of theme it's likely the best.

Are things better on streaming, though? 

You have Power of the Dog, the best movie of the year, already out of the Netflix top 10. 

Meanwhile some shitty Sandra Bullock movie (I say this as a fan of hers) is #1 and that Rock/Gal Gadot/Ryan Reynolds crap (I say this as someone who can't stand them) is top 10, along with Stepmom from 1998! 

I think part of the problem is that the people marketing these movies don't know how to eventize them for adults. The Weinsteins knew how to make adults HAVE to see prestige pictures. No one has filled that void. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, vale900 said:

If the prize is for the impact End game should have been nominated too. 

17 minutes ago, Menor said:

Indeed, Endgame should have been nominated. I liked it better than all of the nominees I saw that year (around 5)

Not just an impact. Endgame and Deathly Hallows 2 were extremely well reviewed endings of serials that made Hollywood tons of money thus enabling their studios to make those Oscary movies that usually don't make much money but studios can take the risk because big guns such as Avengers and HP make up for losses tenfold. So there's a synergy between commercial and artistic and it's disingenuous not to acknowledge it with awards nomination from time to time when commercial gets the right kind of reviews. Nobody says that Endgame or DH2 should have won for the whole series LOTR style if quality wasn't on LOTR level throughout. After all, every single LOTR movie scored Picture nomination so win for the third was due. Avengers and HP didn't have that, but they didn't have rotten movies either, and the cap-off movies got among the best reviews for the franchise. So nomination would have been a great gesture of appreciation.  Every year has very mediocre Picture nominees from Oscar-friendly genres (drama, biopic, illness/disability, etc) so quality franchise blockbuster getting a spot in the line-up is not an embarrassment in any scenario. 

What I'm trying to say is that they don't have to make it a habit, though diversity of nominated genres would be nice, but when a franchise blockbuster has that special something (eg., extremely well reviewed end of the saga that employed over half of the industry on and off the camera), yeah why the hell not?

P.S. I didn't want this to be seen as this SH franchise vs that SH franchise, but Endgame was overshadowed by Joker and that's why it missed. It was one or the other from AMPAS POV. Time may come when they'll nominate 2 SH movies but that wasn't that time yet. Joker was the topical one and that gave it the edge.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, infamous5445 said:

Tbh I'm curious to see how low Oscar viewership can go, seems like it's been declining almost every year. A good chunk of people just don't give AF about most movies nominated

That's because most Oscar Bait movies aren't made for a good chunk of people. They're made for an audience of about 9000, many of whom see them for free via screeners, and who have largely overlapping tastes that isn't shared by most of the GA.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Black panther was the rare mcu film that got the art and Oscar crowd attention due to its social politic subject matter.

Black panther is a pretty avg mcu film in action but in terms of theme it's likely the best.

There are so many good movies every year in terms of social themes.

I don't understand if you  (The Academy) don't care about some kind of movies e in particular about marvel movies why you should care they made something in terms of "themes".

Maybe it was new for that kind of movies but certainly nothing new in the "art movies history" they should celebrated. 

Edited by vale900

WSS is really terrific and Spielberg's best in a long time, but it's not going to pull off Greatest Showman legs. TGS had broad family appeal going in its favor; no kid under 10-12 is going to care about WSS. Maybe it does a 7-8x if it's lucky with re-expansions.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

WSS is really terrific and Spielberg's best in a long time, but it's not going to pull off Greatest Showman legs. TGS had broad family appeal going in its favor; no kid under 10-12 is going to care about WSS. Maybe it does a 7-8x if it's lucky with re-expansions.

whilst I think they should have opened it on Christmas Day, it should have excellent legs. 

This weekend feels like the big intake of breath before audiences flock next weekend to the biggest domestic movie in two years.  WSS will still be around and hopefully chip away with solid dailies for the next few weeks.  The awards buzz will stand it in good stead. 

Edited by wildphantom

I see in the sidebar that Gucci made 4.06M - 42%. I hope it stays above 4M and maybe go a bit up with actuals. 41.03M dom atm. Fingers crossed for over 50M total. There will be an onslaught of adult-oriented movies in upcoming weeks, but holiday extends everyone's legs so we'll see.